gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:50:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399371 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 11, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »

Someone will no doubt correct me, but he was on heroin (by no means his only vice then - he liked a drink)for possibly a year or two after his wife left him, quitting after the dreadful 1978 Austrailia tour. Denny and Brian took heroin around the early 80's, I believe.
Someone will correct you...no doubt. Karen Lamm was (she admitted to me) the initial heroin connection for the Wilsons, or at least Dennis and Carl who probably began dabbling in '76 or '77. Brian, I have no idea...i think he'd pretty much do whatever was in front of him going back to the late '60's. He most definitely found his way to the H as well, but whether he got there first or last I don't know. The thing about the Wilsons is they all had addictive tendencies. Carl gets a break from historians because he always seemed so well adjusted compared to his brothers. But there's a combination genetic and emotional proclivity toward substance abuse they all had to deal with, Carl got his under control but in reality it certainly could have been an addiction that led to his cancer, Brian cheated death many times and got away but worse for the wear, Dennis' addictions pretty much did him in. Sorry if people don't like to hear it, but that's a major part of the Wilson's story. They were brilliant, they were human, they were haunted, and they tried chasing the darkness away by getting loaded...a lot.

Thanks Jon.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 11, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »

Mr. Doe's site has Brian doing working on "Terri, She Needs Me" during BW88 sessions. I'm assuming this is the same song that eventually was released on Imagination. Does anyone know whether this was a complete re-recording BW88 style, or was it a refining of the already recorded track?

Russ was the major co-producer of BW88, so it makes sense they would think of their 60s-era collaboration and work on it. It doesn't make sense (at least to me) to think they'd use the 60s track. It would have been so far from the sound world of that album as to be in a different universe. I've always assumed it was a complete remake, perhaps only getting to the tracking stage. (But we all know about assumptions ...)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »

Has Brian -- or any of the Beach Boys for that matter -- ever listened to Joni Mitchell? If so, what did they think? Too "Laurel Canyon" for them?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #728 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:11 AM »

Has Brian -- or any of the Beach Boys for that matter -- ever listened to Joni Mitchell? If so, what did they think? Too "Laurel Canyon" for them?

Given the circles Brian was moving in at the time, I'd be amazed if he wasn't at least aware of her (the Cros probably saw to that): likewise Dennis, albeit for entirely different reasons.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XY
« Reply #729 on: September 12, 2010, 12:41:11 AM »

She was one of the grammy nominations for "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance" Brian & Dennis moderated in 1976.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:25 AM »

Someone will no doubt correct me, but he was on heroin (by no means his only vice then - he liked a drink)for possibly a year or two after his wife left him, quitting after the dreadful 1978 Austrailia tour. Denny and Brian took heroin around the early 80's, I believe.
Someone will correct you...no doubt. Karen Lamm was (she admitted to me) the initial heroin connection for the Wilsons, or at least Dennis and Carl who probably began dabbling in '76 or '77. Brian, I have no idea...i think he'd pretty much do whatever was in front of him going back to the late '60's. He most definitely found his way to the H as well, but whether he got there first or last I don't know. The thing about the Wilsons is they all had addictive tendencies. Carl gets a break from historians because he always seemed so well adjusted compared to his brothers. But there's a combination genetic and emotional proclivity toward substance abuse they all had to deal with, Carl got his under control but in reality it certainly could have been an addiction that led to his cancer, Brian cheated death many times and got away but worse for the wear, Dennis' addictions pretty much did him in. Sorry if people don't like to hear it, but that's a major part of the Wilson's story. They were brilliant, they were human, they were haunted, and they tried chasing the darkness away by getting loaded...a lot.

From a much more distant perspective: I think this nails it down. From what I learned from several books: Murry's dad was very abusive. Murry was. Both were alcoholics. Murry smoked. Don't know if Audree did, but I read somewhere that she used to drink.

Haunted? That's a metaphorical way of phrasing it, but it fits. There was, as for violence, harrassment, and abuse, a grim determinism workin in the family. Terrorizing your own, even if it is ultimately meant to make them achieve, makes them predisposed for severe mood disorders and depression. Major depression, not your everyday little dips. People who grew up under such circumstances tend to self-medicate a lot in later life. Well, all you need to complete the picture are quite permissive surroundings ('60s pop culture, drugs, alcohol, tobacco). You have a vicious circle that seems to fuel itself in terms of human damage.

Genetic susceptibility may also play a part. The interaction between tiny mutations in genes, and the environment (personal experience) is extremely complex. For instance: parents that smoke and drink (esp. the mother, during pregnancy) run a risk that their offspring will have a changed expression of a number of genes. The substances these genes 'stand for' in your body may be produced less, or more, as a result. One or more messenger molecules in your brain may be decreased, and depression is the result.

I don't want to moralize; just wanted to add to Jon's opinion, which I find terse and very clear.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: September 12, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »

I guess this is as good of thread to ask as any:

For anyone who bought the vinyl edition of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin:
I ordered this item and the first copy I received from Amazon skipped during the first two tracks.
I asked for an exchange and the replacement I received skips on the first track, but not the second. Did anybody else have this problem - or something similar?
My needle seems to be fine, because it plays all my other records. Maybe I just received badly pressed copies?
Just wondering if I'm the only one who had this happen to them or not.
Thanks!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 12, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »

I guess this is as good of thread to ask as any:

For anyone who bought the vinyl edition of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin:
I ordered this item and the first copy I received from Amazon skipped during the first two tracks.
I asked for an exchange and the replacement I received skips on the first track, but not the second. Did anybody else have this problem - or something similar?
My needle seems to be fine, because it plays all my other records. Maybe I just received badly pressed copies?
Just wondering if I'm the only one who had this happen to them or not.
Thanks!

My vinyl copy plays fine.  But, for all the hype surrounding vinyl, it still has a number of potential issues, including warps, clicks and pops, and other surface noise.  Although most of today's vinyl is pressed on thick 180 gram vinyl, my experience has been that the pressing quality of most vinyl today is just mediocre, and overall is not up to the standards of the best high quality audiophile stuff available in the 70s and 80s.  This could be due to the fact that few vinyl pressing plants are still around, and from what I've heard, they are running at capacity.

I have returned some recent vinyl purchases due to these issues, but ya gotta remember that vinyl, by its very nature, is far more prone to flaws than CDs.  However, the larger graphics are totally cool compared to the much smaller graphics found on CDs.

Check your BWRG disc for warps by looking at the disc from the side as it plays.   Mistracking due to warps is most pronounced at the outer edges of the vinyl, which is what you are experiencing.  Another issue could be your stylus tracking force is set too low.  If you have a stylus pressure gauge, check your tracking force to see if it is within the specified range, assuming you have paperwork indicating what that is.  Otherwise, if no warps seems to be apparent, try setting it a little higher to see if that solves the problem.

How was the packaging from Amazon?  Their prices are good, but I have been very disappointed by their cheap vinyl LP packaging.  I have returned two vinyl albums to Amazon due to the covers getting beat up due their cheap packaging. Then again, I also returned my first copy of the BWRG CD I got from them, as it was shipped in a cheap bubble pack envelope, and and the plastic tray on the digipac was completely cracked from one end to the other.  They shipped the replacement in the same cheap packaging, but the second one arrived in fine condition.  This wouldn't have been an issue for me if BWRG was a jewel box CD, as I would have simply junked the cracked jewel box and placed the CD and inserts in a new jewel box.  But, that being said, I do have a distinct preference for digipacs as opposed to jewel boxes.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 13, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »

Ok, here's an odd question. When and why did carl change his hair style? I HATE his hair from about 1986, to the end of his career. It bugs me to no end!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »

Wondering if anyone out here is good with making cover art.  I'm looking for cool cover art for my own version of Friends, Reverberation, Sunflower and Landlocked albums. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »

Wondering if anyone out here is good with making cover art.  I'm looking for cool cover art for my own version of Friends, Reverberation, Sunflower and Landlocked albums. 

I'm good with ideas, but nothing concrete.

BTW, my fav Landlocked cover is the one that's a throwback to the All Summer Long photo with the drawing of the sun and photos from 20/20 photo shoot (without Brian) and Sunflower outtake photos

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 14, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »

BTW, my fav Landlocked cover is the one that's a throwback to the All Summer Long photo with the drawing of the sun and photos from 20/20 photo shoot (without Brian) and Sunflower outtake photos

Thinking of using the back of 20/20 (the blurry, in movement pic) for Reverberation, other than that though I'm stuck.  I don't like the Friends Cover (my version is a double album), I do like the Surf's Up cover, so maybe I'll just change the title and use that for Landlocked.   I'm making these for my own enjoyment, but also as gifts to someone that I hope will see the band in a different light.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »

Thinking of using the back of 20/20 (the blurry, in movement pic) for Reverberation, other than that though I'm stuck.  I don't like the Friends Cover (my version is a double album), I do like the Surf's Up cover, so maybe I'll just change the title and use that for Landlocked.   I'm making these for my own enjoyment, but also as gifts to someone that I hope will see the band in a different light.

I'd like to see what you got when your done

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »

I'm gonna have this chiselled on my tombstone, but...

No Landlocked album - never was, never will be. It was the working title for Surf's Up for, oh, maybe three weeks, a month. That's all.

Take it you'll also be making your versions of A Doll's House, Everest or Liverpool Childhood ?

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 14, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »

I'd like to see what you got when your done

I'll be more than happy to share whatever I can come up with.  I was asking people here because i no longer have a decent photo program to mess with stuff (had photoshop at one point, miss that), and I'm not the greatest at designing such things anyway, but I'll see what i can come up with.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »

No Landlocked album - never was, never will be. It was the working title for Surf's Up for, oh, maybe three weeks, a month. That's all.

Take it you'll also be making your versions of A Doll's House, Everest or Liverpool Childhood ?

Wait, in no way was I meaning to say there WAS EVER an actual album called Landlocked -  I was just going to use that as the title for this particular compilation of songs I am making for myself and a friend.  I was also going to call it Long Promised Road at one point.   
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »

Wait, in no way was I meaning to say there WAS EVER an actual album called Landlocked -  I was just going to use that as the title for this particular compilation of songs I am making for myself and a friend.  I was also going to call it Long Promised Road at one point.   

Honestly, I always like to consider Landlocked an outtake album of the era from Breakaway to Surf's Up...I know it's not official but fun to label.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 15, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »

i'd love if brian did "busy doin nothin" live.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 15, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »

Yeah. With an old bakelite dial-up on his keyboard.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »

But I've owned the Landlocked album for years!

Wait ... could it be, gasp, that my copy of Landlocked is a bootleg??   Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »

But I've owned the Landlocked album for years!

Wait ... could it be, gasp, that my copy of Landlocked is a bootleg??   Smiley

Well... y'know... I'd be dubious.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: September 15, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »

Uh, gee, how 'bout Remember the Zoo?

^_^

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: September 15, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »

^_^

It was better they never released it. It sucked.  Ahhh!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 15, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

He did it at one of the CWF shows.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: September 15, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »

^_^

It was better they never released it. It sucked.  Ahhh!

LOL

Quote from: Runaways on Today at 11:12:27 AM

He did it at one of the CWF shows.

Would kill to hear that. Wish he'd start doing it again.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx