gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:04:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 2 Hidden) and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399431 times)
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

i love carl's quiet voice.  wild honey...?? ehhhhhh

I'm the exact opposite! I find he (like Denny) can over sing and be a little overdramatic for me (Only With You on Carnegie for example). But I LOVE it when he rocks out!

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 11, 2010, 02:35:42 AM »

IMHO
Carl really wasn't much of a songwriter...
his best stuff was done with Jack Reiley(sp) and I wonder if this was a case of Carl putting music to Jacks words rather then Jack putting words to Carl's music.
I personally think that Jack doesn't get enough credit for what the two of them did together... and nothing that Carl wrote after Jack left seem to have
much substance
... beautiful voice yes, but the songs??
 Azn
Not even "Angel Come Home"?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »

Here's a question that makes me shake my head everytime I see a picture of it - Just what was Brian thinking when he went for that one BIG sideburn look around the Smile period??

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2010, 02:43:21 AM »

Speaking as a facial hair, and especially sideburn enthusiast, I can safely say I have no idea. The only explanation I can offer about the One Sideburn is that they had drugs back in the day that we simply can't get these days.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:13 AM »

IMHO
his best stuff was done with Jack Reiley(sp) and I wonder if this was a case of Carl putting music to Jacks words rather then Jack putting words to Carl's music.
I personally think that Jack doesn't get enough credit for what the two of them did together... and nothing that Carl wrote after Jack left seem to have
much substance... beautiful voice yes, but the songs??
 Azn

I agree about Jack not getting enough credit. Now I could be wrong, as it's late and i've had some drinkies tonight, but didn't Jack only write with the Wilson brothers? Anyone find that kinda odd? It's kinda like the whole Steve Kalenich relationship, minus the whole manager role. But as a manager, Jack did more with the guys and changed their image, more than any other manager, except per say: Murry.

but then again, I've had a few too many, I might not be taking other people and issues in consideration.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 11, 2010, 02:55:48 AM »

Speaking as a facial hair, and especially sideburn enthusiast, I can safely say I have no idea. The only explanation I can offer about the One Sideburn is that they had drugs back in the day that we simply can't get these days.

Was Brian perched on such a high pedestal at that point that no one dared tell him he looked an idiot? I'm a beard man myself. I sorta look like a cross between mid 70's Brian and early 80's Carl with it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 11, 2010, 03:01:11 AM »

What would you tell a man with only one sideburn? How would you even know what to say?

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2010, 03:17:02 AM »

IMHO
 Azn

I agree about Jack not getting enough credit. Now I could be wrong, as it's late and i've had some drinkies tonight, but didn't Jack only write with the Wilson brothers? Anyone find that kinda odd? It's kinda like the whole Steve Kalenich relationship, minus the whole manager role. But as a manager, Jack did more with the guys and changed their image, more than any other manager, except per say: Murry.

but then again, I've had a few too many, I might not be taking other people and issues in consideration.

Jack's contributions were lyrical as none of the Wilson were particularly strong lyric writers, wheres the other 3 were. Also Jack did not get on with Mike, Al and especially Bruce on a personal level. I think if he could have, Jack would have been quite happy to pull the Wilsons out of the group and and have them form "The Wilson Brothers".
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:19:07 AM by mikes beard » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2010, 03:39:04 AM »

IMHO
 Azn

Jack's contributions were lyrical as none of the Wilson were particularly strong lyric writers, wheres the other 3 were. Also Jack did not get on with Mike, Al and especially Bruce on a personal level. I think if he could have, Jack would have been quite happy to pull the Wilsons out of the group and and have them form "The Wilson Brothers".

Right, that's what I was getting at.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 11, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »

What would you tell a man with only one sideburn? How would you even know what to say?

Sir, are you on drugs perchance?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 11, 2010, 03:57:55 AM »

I was wondering, has anyone here heard any part of the BW/Fred Vail: Cows in the Pasture? I can only assume at least the tracks were laid down. I'm really interested in hearing what a BW/Country/Western feel would sound like. Perhaps like his cut of Cotton Fields on 20/20?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: September 11, 2010, 04:37:15 AM »

From the 'Unreleased' section of 10452:

Cows In The Pasture (Fred Vail)
recorded April 17th-29th 1970
produced by Brian Wilson
Bethany Ann* - There's Always Something There To Remind Me* - Kittens, Kids & Kites - Lucky Billy - Black Man In Georgia - One Woman Won't Hold Me - Why Don't You Give Her To Me - If You're Not Loving, You're Not Living - All For The Love Of A Girl* - Only The Lonely* - Carolina On My Mind - My Way Of Life - A Fool Such As I* - You Pass Me By - I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
[titles noted * had vocals recorded]

Fred Vail's connection with The Beach Boys began as a teenager in May 1963 when he staged a show in Sacramento, and continued as their promoter until they severed links amid some acrimony in the mid-seventies (although he remained especially close to Dennis). Exactly why Brian decided to embark on this particular project - a country album - is yet another minor BB mystery (unless, of course, Brian was making an oblique point; however it's more likely that he was merely doing a favor a friend). At four sessions over the course of twelve days in Wally Heider's studio, Brian, with Fred & Diane Rovell (as contractor) produced tracks for the fifteen titles listed above, using the following country luminaries:

piano: Glen D. Hardin
guitar: James Burton, Fredyy Weller & Glen Keener
bass: Keith Allison (electric) & Red Wooten (upright)
drums: Dennis St. John
fiddle: Gordon Terry
steel guitar: Buddy Emmons, Red Rhodes & JD Maness
bottleneck guitar: Gib Guilbeau

As might have been expected, Brian then lost interest in the project, but not before vocals had been recorded for five songs. For pretty well all its known existence, the album was simply referred to as "Fred Vail's country album", but Kurt Ackerman recalls Bruce giving it this title at a Carnegie Hall gig just before he left the band. However, when questioned directly, Fred himself stated that the album had no title.
Possibility of release: given that a) the album is incomplete and b) Vail's voice has been described (by Brian) as "far out", exceedingly slim… but it would be interesting to hear Brian's sole foray into the country field.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 11, 2010, 04:55:18 AM »

Or "Hey Bri, are you aware that you only have one sideburn?"

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 11, 2010, 05:00:43 AM »

IMHO
much substance
... beautiful voice yes, but the songs??
 Azn
Not even "Angel Come Home"?

yes, that was a good one,
but I still have 4 fingers left on my right hand...( if you know what I mean  Roll Eyes  )

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 11, 2010, 05:08:17 AM »

Or "Hey Bri, are you aware that you only have one sideburn?"

Reply: "Really?? Now that's funny.... HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:40 AM »

No dude, Brian would just giggle at you about the one sideburn and go "Yeah man, groovy isn't it?!" and then smoke some more hash!

Also, Rieley was a terrible lyricist and he did no favours for the Wilsons in this regard. The lyrics are bad enough that I find them actively awful even though I'm sure they're meant to simply sound nice with the music and not be, you know, noticed beyond how they sound. He was way too verbose for his own (let alone the Beach Boys') good. Even though the lyrics to, say, "Don't Go Near The Water" are naive as hell they're still better than the lyrics to "Feel Flows". I like Carl's voice though; he saved those songs by that virtue (along with the music he created) almost entirely.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 11, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

I think grillo is in the minority regarding Carl's voice. I can listen to Carl sing all day long. He definitely had the most versatile voice in the band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 11, 2010, 07:21:07 AM »

I think grillo is in the minority regarding Carl's voice. I can listen to Carl sing all day long. He definitely had the most versatile voice in the band.
Yup, like a minority of one. Still, for whatever reason, i can't get into carl's singing, except in an ironic way, like when he's obviously wasted on something (life is for the living...actually most of his singing during the '76-'78 period when he had the back pain/heroin thing going on), although I think he sounds pretty good on the later stuff (Kokomo and Somewhere near Japan.) I realize I'm alone here...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »

Whoa, I didn't know Carl had a heroin addiction! I suppose it's not surprising given it's one of the Wilson brothers but... I just figured he was the least troubled one for whatever reason. I guess it's mainly because I know virtually nothing about him whereas his brothers are better known. (Did Dennis or Brian do heroin at any point with or because of Carl?)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:03 AM »

Someone will no doubt correct me, but he was on heroin (by no means his only vice then - he liked a drink)for possibly a year or two after his wife left him, quitting after the dreadful 1978 Austrailia tour. Denny and Brian took heroin around the early 80's, I believe.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 11, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »

Someone will no doubt correct me, but he was on heroin (by no means his only vice then - he liked a drink)for possibly a year or two after his wife left him, quitting after the dreadful 1978 Austrailia tour. Denny and Brian took heroin around the early 80's, I believe.
Someone will correct you...no doubt. Karen Lamm was (she admitted to me) the initial heroin connection for the Wilsons, or at least Dennis and Carl who probably began dabbling in '76 or '77. Brian, I have no idea...i think he'd pretty much do whatever was in front of him going back to the late '60's. He most definitely found his way to the H as well, but whether he got there first or last I don't know. The thing about the Wilsons is they all had addictive tendencies. Carl gets a break from historians because he always seemed so well adjusted compared to his brothers. But there's a combination genetic and emotional proclivity toward substance abuse they all had to deal with, Carl got his under control but in reality it certainly could have been an addiction that led to his cancer, Brian cheated death many times and got away but worse for the wear, Dennis' addictions pretty much did him in. Sorry if people don't like to hear it, but that's a major part of the Wilson's story. They were brilliant, they were human, they were haunted, and they tried chasing the darkness away by getting loaded...a lot.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 11, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »

Carl gets a break from historians because he always seemed so well adjusted compared to his brothers.
I really appreciate you posting that, Jon. Because we see again and again the obvious, one- or two-word descriptions of the brothers (and the others in the band). They're easy, but they're just not anywhere near representative.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: September 11, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »

Someone will correct you...no doubt. Karen Lamm was (she admitted to me) the initial heroin connection for the Wilsons, or at least Dennis and Carl who probably began dabbling in '76 or '77. Brian, I have no idea...i think he'd pretty much do whatever was in front of him going back to the late '60's. He most definitely found his way to the H as well, but whether he got there first or last I don't know. The thing about the Wilsons is they all had addictive tendencies. Carl gets a break from historians because he always seemed so well adjusted compared to his brothers. But there's a combination genetic and emotional proclivity toward substance abuse they all had to deal with, Carl got his under control but in reality it certainly could have been an addiction that led to his cancer, Brian cheated death many times and got away but worse for the wear, Dennis' addictions pretty much did him in. Sorry if people don't like to hear it, but that's a major part of the Wilson's story. They were brilliant, they were human, they were haunted, and they tried chasing the darkness away by getting loaded...a lot.

Brian was definitely doing horse in the late 70s, '77, '78: it was largely responsible for one of the major traumatic events in his life.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 11, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »

Brian was definitely doing horse in the late 70s, '77, '78: it was largely responsible for one of the major traumatic events in his life.

And to top it all off, he offered some to Carnie! Afro Smokin Cool Guy Cool Wink Cool ...er, I mean Cry Cry  Cry Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Sad Sad Sad

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 11, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »

Mr. Doe's site has Brian doing working on "Terri, She Needs Me" during BW88 sessions. I'm assuming this is the same song that eventually was released on Imagination. Does anyone know whether this was a complete re-recording BW88 style, or was it a refining of the already recorded track?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx