gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:20:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399573 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »

Y
Is anybody else a little disturbed to see that the new Jonas Brothers album cover is all but ripping off the classic Beach Boys walking with the surfboard pose?  What will their next album cover be, The Jonas Brothers friggin' around at the local petting zoo? Anywho, the only people who like these dorks are 9 year old little girls and Bruce Johnston!

Yeah...kinda looks like the Abbey Road cover too....

Seriously? You bothered?

Only if they think for one nanosecond that they are in the same league as The BB's. If not fine, let them have their 15 minutes.

BTW, I'm a little bemused that the word I typed in my previous post has been edited out and substituted with the word 'friggin' as I didn't type a swear word??
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:34:27 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

BTW, I'm a little bemused that the word I typed in my previous post has been edited out and substituted with the word 'friggin' as I didn't type a swear word??

Hmmm, the words friggin', foda and merda have popped up quite often the last couple of weeks. Might be due to the fact that since the switch to a new webhost some settings might have been set back to default. I'll check out the filter-settings.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »

sh*t f*** damn ass bitch whore

Testing complete.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 31, 2010, 12:29:54 PM »

Hmmm, the words friggin', foda and merda have popped up quite often the last couple of weeks. Might be due to the fact that since the switch to a new webhost some settings might have been set back to default. I'll check out the filter-settings.

well.... the 'censored words'-list isn't that long.... and there's only one word changed automatically into friggin'..... not swearing per se, more like another word for 'intercourse'.... but I guess using an  *  didn't really help, mikes beard   Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 31, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »

The word I typed was F-R-O-L-I-C-K-I-N-G. Maybe that has a different meaning Stateside but in England it's a totally innocent word.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 31, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »

The word I typed was F-R-O-L-I-C-K-I-N-G. Maybe that has a different meaning Stateside but in England it's a totally innocent word.
here in the states, it means "using one's tongue on Blondie's Flame-era hairstyle" 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 01, 2010, 12:04:45 AM »

I love the sound of the piano that got used on Wild Honey/Friends, whatever happened to it?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 01, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

i wonder why sides 1 and 4 would be on the same disc for Endless Summer.  and why is it the Today! Help Me Rhonda.  weird.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 01, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »

i wonder why sides 1 and 4 would be on the same disc for Endless Summer.  and why is it the Today! Help Me Rhonda.  weird.

I think Help Me Rhonda was merely an error on the part of those who compiled the first run. Wasn't it fixed in subsequent pressings?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 01, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

No, it was never fixed on LP. Nor was it fixed on the Capitol CD. The DCC release is the only one that has the single versions of both, Help Me Rhonda and Be True To Your School.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:00:11 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: September 01, 2010, 06:05:18 PM »

i think i prefer the non cheerleader version of be true to your school.  that might be just cause i heard that one first as a kid
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 01, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »

"i think i prefer the non cheerleader version of be true to your school."

That's the first BB record I ever bought.  Right about the time of the JFK assaination.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »

i wonder why sides 1 and 4 would be on the same disc for Endless Summer.

It was done that way to accommodate playing them on a record changer (one which allowed you to stack up several records on a tall spindle for multiple disc playing) rather than a single-play turntable. By backing side 1 with side 4 and side 2 with side 3, you could stack them so they'd play side 1 first, then side 2 -- that is, the second record (with sides 2 & 3) would be stacked on top of the first record (with sides 1 & 4). The first record would drop and side 1 would play, then the second record would drop and side 2 would play. Then you'd take the two records off the spindle, flip them over as a unit and put them back on the spindle. That would put the first record (with sides 1 & 4) stacked on top of the second record (with sides 2 & 3). Because they'd been flipped over, the second side of each record would then play - that is, the second record (now on the bottom of the stack) would drop and side 3 would play, then the first record (now on the top of the stack) would drop and side 4 would play. Genius, huh?  Cheesy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:38 AM »

i wonder why sides 1 and 4 would be on the same disc for Endless Summer.

It was done that way to accommodate playing them on a record changer (one which allowed you to stack up several records on a tall spindle for multiple disc playing) rather than a single-play turntable. By backing side 1 with side 4 and side 2 with side 3, you could stack them so they'd play side 1 first, then side 2 -- that is, the second record (with sides 2 & 3) would be stacked on top of the first record (with sides 1 & 4). The first record would drop and side 1 would play, then the second record would drop and side 2 would play. Then you'd take the two records off the spindle, flip them over as a unit and put them back on the spindle. That would put the first record (with sides 1 & 4) stacked on top of the second record (with sides 2 & 3). Because they'd been flipped over, the second side of each record would then play - that is, the second record (now on the bottom of the stack) would drop and side 3 would play, then the first record (now on the top of the stack) would drop and side 4 would play. Genius, huh?  Cheesy

Genius? I was just musing on how many pristine and superbly recorded LPs by our Boys must've been damaged beyond comprehension throughout the years... Sad

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 02, 2010, 02:59:51 AM »

I love the sound of the piano that got used on Wild Honey/Friends, whatever happened to it?

+1  I never get enough of groovin' to the funky piano sound of that era.  Is this possibly the same piano from the sandbox?  What ever the heck it is, I dig it, man.  It's very "honky tonk" sounding.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 02, 2010, 03:12:46 AM »

+1  I never get enough of groovin' to the funky piano sound of that era.  Is this possibly the same piano from the sandbox?  What ever the heck it is, I dig it, man.  It's very "honky tonk" sounding.

Yep. The concept for 'Nashville Sounds' was born in those times. Unfortunately, Brian went to bed for the next 30 years or so, so he did nowt but stuff himself with 8 packs of ciggies each day, 4 turkeys, 20 hamburgers, two bottles of Jack Daniels, and a kilo of cocaïne. So we had to wait some time.

Well, all geniuses have their eccentricities, I guess.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

Where does the song "Everything I need" come from?

What year is the Black Widow demo from? Have Brian written it?

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »

Where does the song "Everything I need" come from?

What year is the Black Widow demo from? Have Brian written it?

"Everything I Need" dates from Brian's 'reunion' writing session with Tony Asher circa 1996. Recorded Spring 1997.

"Black Widow" (aka "Let's Do It Again") dates from 1987, and yes, Brian have write the music, lyrics by E. E. Landy. First known sessions were June 1987 in NYC, and again in November, in LA

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 02, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »

Brian have write the music

And the truth shall be revealed! AGD isn't really British. No, he's actually Japanese, and English is his second language! That why he sometimes (as above) reads like those God-awful lyrics translations you find in Japanese issues of BB albums.

Sorry! I couldn't resist!  Grin
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »

I think AGD was making on comment on Domino's less-than-perfect grammar.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 03, 2010, 04:08:21 AM »

How come Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters series of boots finish in 69 with 20/20? Is there a screamingly obvious answer to this that I am overlooking?

Many thanks

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: September 03, 2010, 04:30:49 AM »

How come Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters series of boots finish in 69 with 20/20? Is there a screamingly obvious answer to this that I am overlooking?

Many thanks

Allegedly, it was because the 'leggers didn't have access to a 16-track machine, hence they could only 'liberate' material that was on 2-, 3-, 4- and 8-track multis. Seems entirely logical to me, but then the words 'logical" and "Beach Boys" have never been happy bedfellows...

Some early Sunflower songs were initially recorded on an 8-track, but they were all transferred to 16-track in October 1969 (see the upcoming edition of ESQ, which is a Sunflower 40th anniversary special, with previously unseen photos from the sessions at Brian's house (many thanks to David Dalton)).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:32:27 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

Considering Brian's seemingly undiluted interest in living healthy that began in the 1970s if not earlier and is ostensibly still going strong... has he ever been vegetarian? I have no evidence to suggest he has -- maybe he's simply consumed less flesh -- but if you're on the health tip it wouldn't particularly surprise me that he might have tried at one time or another.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »

Many thanks
Yes there is...that's the end of the Capitol Records phase of Beach Boys recorded history.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »

Considering Brian's seemingly undiluted interest in living healthy that began in the 1970s if not earlier and is ostensibly still going strong... has he ever been vegetarian? I have no evidence to suggest he has -- maybe he's simply consumed less flesh -- but if you're on the health tip it wouldn't particularly surprise me that he might have tried at one time or another.

I don't think so. Consider: vegetarianism has the connotation of 'health' for not that very long, IMHO, and even then you have to balance your food intake precisely, e.g. with essential amino acids. Through the '60s and '70s, it was more something of the counterculture, and something for those that hate killing higher animals anyway. I don't see Brain looking in any insecure or contemplative way at a double decker hamburger, wondering about eventual saturated fatty acids in there, or what precious animal had to die to make that thing... before you'd be able to draw one breath, it'd be gone entirely.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx