gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:17:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399229 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: August 23, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »

Indeed. Luther is the one you want for theory. I played high school violin, but my technical knowledge peters out pretty shortly after that point. The general music knowledge stuff is easier if you read a book or two on "classical" -- and it gives you an appreciation for what the theory guys actually know! It really is a completely different ball game than pop/rock.

Frankly, Brian is probably more interesting to look at on a music theory level than the overall one I described. Because if you only know generally how music is orchestrated and arranged in a couple of contexts, it can be easy to dismiss Brian. He's not conservatory trained. He doesn't have the sheer technical chops of someone like Bacharach, for instance. But on the basic theory level -- that is, chords, voicings, the way his music is actually put together -- he is (from what I understand) pretty remarkable. I mean, even if you don't have a theory background, you can hear that something unusual and unique is going on with songs like "This Whole World" or "Til I Die."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:25:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 25, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »

Was 'In My Room' the only song the Beach Boys did in German or were there others?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »

Was 'In My Room' the only song the Beach Boys did in German or were there others?

I don't think there were others. Just imagine: 'Gute Schwingungen', 'Greife Eine Welle', 'Bitte Mache Mich Neugierig', 'Würde Es Nicht Wunderbar Sein', 'Nur Der Liebe Herrgott Weiß', 'Ich Komm' Schon Mal Irgendwo', 'Ganz Hinten In Meinem Geiste', and, worst of all, 'Sommer Im Paradies'.

No. I pass.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:02 AM »

Which (very) roughly translated comes back as:

Quote from:  Babelfish
Good oscillations, seize a wave, please make me for Neugieri, did not become it not marvelously Sein' , Only the love gentleman Mr. white, I Komm' Already mark Irgendwo' , Whole in the back in my Geist' , and, worst OF all, ' Summer in the Paradies'.

Shocked

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 25, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »

I don't think there were others. Just imagine: 'Gute Schwingungen', 'Greife Eine Welle', 'Bitte Mache Mich Neugierig', 'Würde Es Nicht Wunderbar Sein', 'Nur Der Liebe Herrgott Weiß', 'Ich Komm' Schon Mal Irgendwo', 'Ganz Hinten In Meinem Geiste', and, worst of all, 'Sommer Im Paradies'.

No. I pass.

Not to mention "Liebe ist eine Frau" and "Hier kommt die Nacht" (disco version)...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »

No. I pass.

Not to mention "Liebe ist eine Frau" and "Hier kommt die Nacht" (disco version)...

LOL and: 'Einkürzendes Brot'...

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 25, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »

No. I pass.

Have been listening to "James Last does Beach Boys Volume 2" too much again, haven't you , Heartical Don?  Grin

(I admit might actually buy such a record... 

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 25, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »

No. I pass.

Have been listening to "James Last does Beach Boys Volume 2" too much again, haven't you , Heartical Don?  Grin

(I admit might actually buy such a record... 

Yes SH, it was one of those days. BTW: I do have a CD with BBs covers in German, done by famous German cartoonist Manfred Deix and his group. If I am right, 'California Girls' is covered as 'Fesche Tyroler Mädel'... it was a bargain thingy, but I'd guess it's collectible by now.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »

'Fesche Tyroler Mädel'

this must be heard !

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 25, 2010, 12:19:58 PM »

What a funny topic! Grin

"Den Sommer am Leben halten"
"Füge etwas Musik zu deinem Tag"
"Alles was ich machen möchte"
"Sei deiner Schule treu"
"Wegbrechen"
"Brian ist zurück"
"Komm geh mit mir"
"Cooles, cooles Wasser"
"Baumwollfelder"
"Tanz, Tanz, Tanz"
"Spaß. Spaß, Spaß"
"Schatz"
"Tu es nochmal"
"Mach dir keine Sorgen, Baby"
"Krieg dich zurück"
"Hawaii"
"Helden und Verbrecher"
"Ich kann Musik hören"
"Ich komme herum"
"Ich wette, er ist schön"
"Inselfieber"
"Inselmädchen"
"Es ist ein wunderschöner Tag"
"Es ist OK"
"Küss mich, Baby"
"Lass uns diesen Weg gehen"
"Für dich gemeint"
"Freunde"
"Unser Gebet"
"Problemkind"
"Roller fahrendes Kind"
"Sie hat Rhythmus"
"Schaluppe John B."
"Irgendwo in der Nähe von Japan"
"Seltsame DInge passieren"
"Wellenreiten Safari"
"Wellenreiten USA"
"Wellenreitstadt"
"Die Nacht war so jung"
"Diese ganze Welt"
"Du bist so gut zu mir"

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »

Forget German, I want to see how the spanish react to Al Jardine's name  LOL
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »

You guys seriously need to check out Die Strandjungs - World Pop Masters: Surf Music Auf Deutsch with such titles as "Mir ist so heiss" ("You're So Good To Me"). Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/track/6ePI1iqU9MzPd4DqW2qYfW

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »

WHo sings the second verse in Brian's version of Proud Mary?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »

I've always read that Come to the Sunshine was recorded for 15 Big Ones, or around that era. Can anyone tell me if Brian cut a new track for it or used VDP's original? I can't imagine this (even if 1967 or so is considered an oldie  Wink)  being meant for an oldies album, let alone no other 'psychedelic' songs involved with the album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »

I've always read that Come to the Sunshine was recorded for 15 Big Ones, or around that era. Can anyone tell me if Brian cut a new track for it or used VDP's original? I can't imagine this (even if 1967 or so is considered an oldie  Wink)  being meant for an oldies album, let alone no other 'psychedelic' songs involved with the album.

Completely new recording - just VDP and BDW, mid-October 1975 at The Sound Factory.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »

any vocals recorded?

it makes one wonder when this woulda appeared on the album...I'd like to say right after the TM Song

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »

any vocals recorded?

it makes one wonder when this woulda appeared on the album...I'd like to say right after the TM Song

As far as I'm aware, completed song.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 26, 2010, 01:12:20 AM »

What a funny topic! Grin

"Den Sommer am Leben halten"
"Füge etwas Musik zu deinem Tag"
"Alles was ich machen möchte"
"Sei deiner Schule treu"
"Wegbrechen"
"Brian ist zurück"
"Komm geh mit mir"
"Cooles, cooles Wasser"
"Baumwollfelder"
"Tanz, Tanz, Tanz"
"Spaß. Spaß, Spaß"
"Schatz"
"Tu es nochmal"
"Mach dir keine Sorgen, Baby"
"Krieg dich zurück"
"Hawaii"
"Helden und Verbrecher"
"Ich kann Musik hören"
"Ich komme herum"
"Ich wette, er ist schön"
"Inselfieber"
"Inselmädchen"
"Es ist ein wunderschöner Tag"
"Es ist OK"
"Küss mich, Baby"
"Lass uns diesen Weg gehen"
"Für dich gemeint"
"Freunde"
"Unser Gebet"
"Problemkind"
"Roller fahrendes Kind"
"Sie hat Rhythmus"
"Schaluppe John B."
"Irgendwo in der Nähe von Japan"
"Seltsame DInge passieren"
"Wellenreiten Safari"
"Wellenreiten USA"
"Wellenreitstadt"
"Die Nacht war so jung"
"Diese ganze Welt"
"Du bist so gut zu mir"

Smokin hahaha...  what a way to start the day!  LOL

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 26, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »

any vocals recorded?

As far as I'm aware, completed song.

NICE!  I'm surprised this isn't a more sought out song.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »

I picked up Endless Summer on vinyl the other day, and can't hear the difference between the duophonic mixes and Brian's mono besides when i fiddle with the balance. Am i tone-deaf?

Also, in the same shop i passed up a copy of Today! because it was a stereo mix. It would have cost me £1.50. Am i insane?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 26, 2010, 09:46:09 AM »

Today was never in stereo, only mono and Duophonic. The Duophonic LP doesn't sound too bad. Now, the duophonic version of Summer Days on the other hand sounds gawd-awful.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: August 26, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »

I picked up Endless Summer on vinyl the other day, and can't hear the difference between the duophonic mixes and Brian's mono besides when i fiddle with the balance. Am i tone-deaf?

It would appear, yes.  Smiley

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:17 AM »

Haha, thought so. It's bizarre. Judging from what everyone says about the Duophonic, i was expecting washed out horrible-ness. It's a little like that - LHRW is 'empty' sounding - but i guess it's due to the crapness of my set up more than anything (The Don wouldn't approve, lets say). I don't doubt if i tried to listen on headphones it'd sound terrible. But yeah.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »

Haha, thought so. It's bizarre. Judging from what everyone says about the Duophonic, i was expecting washed out horrible-ness. It's a little like that - LHRW is 'empty' sounding - but i guess it's due to the crapness of my set up more than anything (The Don wouldn't approve, lets say). I don't doubt if i tried to listen on headphones it'd sound terrible. But yeah.

Ha. In fact, I never found Duophonic all that bad, with a qualification: via a normal stereo setup, and at a moderate level, it's quite enjoyable. But via phones I can't stand it. BTW: this is about vinyl, not CD (is there Duophonic on CD at all?).

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »

The Japanese Pastmasters series contains two Duophonic tracks on otherwise brilliant flat transfers (sometimes mono, sometimes Chuck Britz's stereo mixes where available, I guess). I forget what the other one is but "I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man" is one of them. It definitely sounds different and annoyingly worse than the tracks surrounding it, but it's not absolutely abysmal, I guess. Then again, I'd probably feel differently if it were any other song on that album. LOL Why are some of these Pastmasters discs in stereo anyway when mono would have been vastly preferred (I'm thinking of albums like [IIRC] All Summer Long, Surfer Girl, Shut Down Vol. 2 -- mostly their pre-Today! LPs.)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx