gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:50:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399398 times)
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 17, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »

This is off-topic, but I had this thought in my head the other day while mowing the grass....

What would a Brian Wilson solo album from 1970 sound like?

hmmmmm........
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 17, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

I keep seeing the name listed both ways -- Paul Mertens or Paul von Mertens. Are both correct?

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »

What would a Brian Wilson solo album from 1970 sound like?

hmmmmm........

Probably similar to the G-rated psychedelia of Sweet Mountain off the Spring album, crossed with the more experimental sounds of "Mt. Vernon and Fairway", and knowing Brian, he'd probably loose his confidence half way through and fill the rest of the album up with covers of Spector songs and maybe a few good `uns from the day.  We all know he liked Joe South's "Games People Play".  I also assume that if this fantasy album came out in 1970, Brian's involvement in Sunflower would be reduced, as would the number of songs he contributed, if any.  So let's stick "Cool, Cool Water" on as the last track.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 18, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »

Why did Bruce sing with Brian for the Imagination DVD? Brian just said recently that he doesn't like to work with him. Huh

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »

Why did Bruce sing with Brian for the Imagination DVD? Brian just said recently that he doesn't like to work with him. Huh

really? Where'd he say that?  Maybe for publicity. Sometimes, for my train of thought, there's a lot of times Bruce just thinks: "why not? I need a paycheck."  I'd be the same way if I were him

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:07 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9128.msg155020.html#msg155020

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:19 AM »

really? Where'd he say that?  Maybe for publicity. Sometimes, for my train of thought, there's a lot of times Bruce just thinks: "why not? I need a paycheck."  I'd be the same way if I were him

Bruce don't need paychecks. Even if he'd never chose a life in the music biz he'd still have more cash than you could spend in a lifetime.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 18, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »

The list of things Brian did or said, and then subsequently said (or did) something 180 degrees opposite of that is so freakingly damn long that I'm amazed people still get crossed up by that. But they do. Brian has a long history of saying one thing, doing another, or saying one thing, and then saying he never meant to say that, or doing one thing and saying he never did that, or saying he did something and then saying he didn't...  etc... etc...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »

Bruce don't need paychecks. Even if he'd never chose a life in the music biz he'd still have more cash than you could spend in a lifetime.

alright, thanks for making feel small....

btw, everyone needs a paycheck; why would Gene Hackman star in Superman IV?  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »

really? Where'd he say that?  Maybe for publicity. Sometimes, for my train of thought, there's a lot of times Bruce just thinks: "why not? I need a paycheck."  I'd be the same way if I were him

alright, thanks for making feel small....

btw, everyone needs a paycheck; why would Gene Hackman star in Superman IV?  Grin

Why did the Hackster go for another round of Superman? I believe Christopher Reeve still had the negatives of him, the bucket of fish, the tranquilisers, the Philippine ladyboy.............
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:00:58 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »

Question:  Why does Brian change record labels for every solo album he releases?  Does he not want to be tied down creatively to multi-record/year deals?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »

Maybe it's the labels who don't want to get saddled with something that is less-than-inspired and still have to deal with it! If he has no contract, everyone is happy -- no one can force him to do things he doesn't want to do, and no one has to put up with the end result of such a process.  High Five
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 19, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »

why does everyone say merda here
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 19, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »

why does everyone say merda here

type in 'merda' and find out  LOL

It's a block for society's uncouth words.

unless you meant it in the context of 'why does everyone say the slang for 'crap' here' - then I'd say we just know too few words to express our dislike in something  Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »

Question:  Why does Brian change record labels for every solo album he releases?  Does he not want to be tied down creatively to multi-record/year deals?

I don't know a lot about Brother Records as a label, but can the guys release under that label? Or is it just the BB material (including some solo material, POB?(I THINK)) that have already been recorded.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 19, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »

What does estranho filter?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 19, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »

I don't know a lot about Brother Records as a label, but can the guys release under that label? Or is it just the BB material (including some solo material, POB?(I THINK)) that have already been recorded.
POB was and is owned by Caribou which has no affiliation with Brother or BRI. It was licensed to Sony for the 2008 reissue. Brother or BRI is not actually a label, its just a corporate entity.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 19, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »

thanks, i knew it'd get straightened out

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »

Does anyone know exactly what happened to the "Wind Section"? I've heard it was a piano piece, and that it was lost for some reason or another.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 19, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »

No. 1: He doesn't.

BW88 and Orange Crate Art were both released by Warner Brothers. (The Sire division did BW88, but the contract was with Warners.)

The IJWMFTT soundtrack was released on Don Was's label because Don Was directed the movie.

Imagination was ultimately released by Warners. GIOMH and Smile were both released by Warners as part of a two-record deal (although through different sub labels).

So really, of his solo catalog, some five albums were released by WB or related companies (which only makes sense, given the BBs and BW's history with the label).

No. 2

That being said, a lot has changed in the record business, and I don't think anyone particularly wants to sign him up for a lengthy deal. People will do shorter-term contracts or make deals for specific projects, but an open-ended deal? Not for BW and his brand of flakiness.

Especially given the fact that, since Melinda came on the scene, Brian owns most of his own recordings and (I suspect) pays for most of his studio time. The recordings are then licensed to the labels. It's easier for everyone concerned.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:33 PM »

Does anyone know exactly what happened to the "Wind Section"? I've heard it was a piano piece, and that it was lost for some reason or another.

Interesting one, that: the only source for that was Brian, as quoted in the Byron Preiss book. Some folk feel it's a reasonable description of a track that mutated into "Country Air" but honestly, no-one knows for sure.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:35 PM »

No. 1: He doesn't.

BW88 and Orange Crate Art were both released by Warner Brothers. (The Sire division did BW88, but the contract was with Warners.)

The IJWMFTT soundtrack was released on Don Was's label because Don Was directed the movie.

Imagination was ultimately released by Warners. GIOMH and Smile were both released by Warners as part of a two-record deal (although through different sub labels).

So really, of his solo catalog, some five albums were released by WB or related companies (which only makes sense, given the BBs and BW's history with the label).

No. 2

That being said, a lot has changed in the record business, and I don't think anyone particularly wants to sign him up for a lengthy deal. People will do shorter-term contracts or make deals for specific projects, but an open-ended deal? Not for BW and his brand of flakiness.

Especially given the fact that, since Melinda came on the scene, Brian owns most of his own recordings and (I suspect) pays for most of his studio time. The recordings are then licensed to the labels. It's easier for everyone concerned.

OCA may have Brian's name on the front, but Van Dyke's was the only name on the Warners contract, and Imagination was released on Giant, which was admittedly bankrolled by Warner's but was to all practical purposes a separate entity.

One thing that never gets mentioned - Brian signed a two-record deal with Arista. I'm guessing after the disappointing performance of the Xmas album, everyone shook hands and walked away.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 19, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »

Interesting one, that: the only source for that was Brian, as quoted in the Byron Preiss book. Some folk feel it's a reasonable description of a track that mutated into "Country Air" but honestly, no-one knows for sure.
Something in my gut tells me that Brian was just spouting out a much needed song description, to keep the "powers that be" temorarily satisfied, to buy him more time. I don't think that such a song actually existed. Or course, I'm just thinking out loud, and have no basis for anything that I have just said.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 19, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »

OCA may have Brian's name on the front, but Van Dyke's was the only name on the Warners contract

Really? I recall reading somewhere it was also used as record number two of Brian's late '80s Sire deal. And Lenny Waronker was pretty involved with both albums. But you would know.

One thing that never gets mentioned - Brian signed a two-record deal with Arista. I'm guessing after the disappointing performance of the Xmas album, everyone shook hands and walked away.

He did have an AC hit off the record, though, right? And how well could they have expected a Christmas album to do? Ah well. . . . Sigh.

I don't think anyone would ever lose money betting against the commercial performance of a BW solo album. Remarkable that the majors keep releasing them, really.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:36:29 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: August 19, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »

How about Earth, now that we know that "Vegetables" was not it?

Jay, I've always suspected the same.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx