gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:16:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399146 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 10, 2010, 05:22:48 AM »

Was the chorus of Woody Woodpecker Symphony originally intended to be overlaid on the Fire track, as was finally done on BWPS?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: August 10, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »

Was the chorus of Woody Woodpecker Symphony originally intended to be overlaid on the Fire track, as was finally done on BWPS?

I think it was the other way around: "Fall Breaks..." evolved (devolved ?) from the Fire Music.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 10, 2010, 07:10:57 AM »

I think it was the other way around: "Fall Breaks..." evolved (devolved ?) from the Fire Music.

Hmmm... interesting and plausible. Nice choice of words too...

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 10, 2010, 07:18:30 AM »

Not the most interesting question to ever be asked on this board I'm sure, but can anybody tell me if Dennis is vocally audible anywhere on the "Wild Honey" album? Can't hear him at all and no Bruce either for that matter.

Well, if you consider Lonely Days part of the Wild Honey album, I hear Brucie on there

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »

Not the most interesting question to ever be asked on this board I'm sure, but can anybody tell me if Dennis is vocally audible anywhere on the "Wild Honey" album? Can't hear him at all and no Bruce either for that matter.

Well, if you consider Lonely Days part of the Wild Honey album, I hear Brucie on there

True. Come to think of it, if that track had ever been completed it would have been Bruce's official lead vocal debut on a BB record.

The whole "Wild Honey" backing vocals is a mystery to me.  Why are they so far back in the mix and why has nobody ever tried to make them more clearer on subsequent reissues?  I know artistically they were going for a 'rawer' sound but still a sloppy mix is a sloppy mix.  Also I think "Wild Honey" marks the official start of the whole "Al and Brian sounding identical on high harmonies" thing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:47:52 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 11, 2010, 02:36:42 AM »

True. Come to think of it, if that track had ever been completed it would have been Bruce's official lead vocal debut on a BB record.

The whole "Wild Honey" backing vocals is a mystery to me.  Why are they so far back in the mix and why has nobody ever tried to make them more clearer on subsequent reissues?  I know artistically they were going for a 'rawer' sound but still a sloppy mix is a sloppy mix.  Also I think "Wild Honey" marks the official start of the whole "Al and Brian sounding identical on high harmonies" thing.

WH truly is very shoddily produced, in a way that harms the enjoyment of the album. The vinyl is no better then the CD. It's all fake stereo. I have one LP that is comparable to WH: 'L.A.M.F.' by Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers (1st version, produced by John Keen and Daniel Secunda). Well, it's not really produced. It sounds like it was randomly recorded on a C-45 cassette, then transferred to 8-track cartridge, fed into a wax cylinder, put back to piano roll, and reconverted to a signal on Elcaset, and then finally engraved on vinyl with a worn sewing needle.

I am not joking.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »

Much of WH sounds demoish to me. If we didn't have the recording dates you'd think it was all bashed out in one afternoon at Brian's.

Also to answer my own question, I'm fairly certain I hear Dennis in the occapella blend on "Mama Says".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #532 on: August 11, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »

All adds to its considerable charm
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

On one hand yes, on another no. WH is another of those flawed post PS records. I enjoy most of the album greatly but it's still a 4 star LP at a time when the group had the potential to make 5 star ones. Smiley Smile, Friends and 20/20 also fall under this catagory.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 11, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »

Much of WH sounds demoish to me. If we didn't have the recording dates you'd think it was all bashed out in one afternoon at Brian's.

Also to answer my own question, I'm fairly certain I hear Dennis in the occapella blend on "Mama Says".

hmmm, I think Smiley Smile is more along those lines
....if you can drain the pool the night before for the echo chamber  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 11, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »

What are Brian's thoughts on Pink Floyd? I've never really heard anything from BW about the group, but in that infamous pic from the late 80s (I think) of Brian holding the Spector Christmas album, Dark Side of the Moon is clearly laying beside a copy of Let it Be. So he obviously has a liking for it...let alone, Brian knows the best music.   Razz

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »

perhaps the cover of Game of Love on the Wild Honey outtakes has great backing vocals by Bruce?    Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 12, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »

What are Brian's thoughts on Pink Floyd? I've never really heard anything from BW about the group, but in that infamous pic from the late 80s (I think) of Brian holding the Spector Christmas album, Dark Side of the Moon is clearly laying beside a copy of Let it Be. So he obviously has a liking for it...let alone, Brian knows the best music.   Razz

Brian has commented that the intro to TIME "scared" him...and, given his liberal use of that word, I believe he meant that it thrilled him with its texture and "feel". Of course, the intro is pretty ominous as well, so maybe it did scare him a little, but not enough to put him off the album which he has mentioned as being among favorites from time-to-time.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 12, 2010, 07:49:51 AM »

What type of after shave does Mike Love use currently?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #539 on: August 13, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »

Sardine juice?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »

Sardine juice?

Jardine juice?

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »

Ok, I have another question. What is Ecology? I just stumbled on this interesting recording today. What year was it made in? Who was involved in the recording?

Sorry, just read your post properly. Unless someone's been exceedingly careless, what you've heard isn't "Ecology".
What do you mean? The recording I have heard has the River Song melody, first played on piano, and then on  what sounds like a synthesizer. Then there is another section that has Dennis singing something along the lines of "Our Love, is bigger than the ocean". Then it ends with with mid tempo drums and guitar.

Does anyone know what the status of this is? No idea what he's talking about, either. AGD, care to comment?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:26 PM »

These were left unanswered. Are they too boring?

What's the deal with the "Fig Plucker" and "Oh Yeah!" session excerpts (?) from the Goodbye Surfing, Hello God! Vigotone box set? What session are they from and what purpose did they serve -- just more joking around in the studio or something more?
I know throughout Brian's re-emergence in the 1980/90s it was suggested -- and sometimes actually planned -- that he work with various other artists who were at the time immensely popular and were huge fans of Brian. I know he was supposed to work with Sean O'Hagan (The High Llamas) and Andy Partridge (XTC), I think. (Both of these would have been amazing, alas! He should ring 'em up again...) Does anyone know who else, if there was anyone else, was floated that he could have worked with as a songwriting partner?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: August 16, 2010, 11:17:04 PM »

Ok, I have another question. What is Ecology? I just stumbled on this interesting recording today. What year was it made in? Who was involved in the recording?

Sorry, just read your post properly. Unless someone's been exceedingly careless, what you've heard isn't "Ecology".
What do you mean? The recording I have heard has the River Song melody, first played on piano, and then on  what sounds like a synthesizer. Then there is another section that has Dennis singing something along the lines of "Our Love, is bigger than the ocean". Then it ends with with mid tempo drums and guitar.

Does anyone know what the status of this is? No idea what he's talking about, either. AGD, care to comment?

Someone's put together a sequence of DW outtakes (a few years back) and called it "Ecology". I've heard it, and also heard the real "Ecology": shares a little music, but trust me, isn't "Ecology".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: August 16, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »

What's the deal with the "Fig Plucker" and "Oh Yeah!" session excerpts (?) from the Goodbye Surfing, Hello God! Vigotone box set? What session are they from and what purpose did they serve -- just more joking around in the studio or something more?

Session dates for both those are in the 'gigs & sessions' listings on 10452. They're just the Boys dicking around in the studio.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 17, 2010, 05:57:42 AM »

Session dates for both those are in the 'gigs & sessions' listings on 10452. They're just the Boys dicking around in the studio.

Gotcha. I swear, I need to make checking bellagio second nature... sorry!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »

No probs. Now, if you'd asked me who sang lead on "Let's go Away For A While", my wrath would have been biblical. Verily.  Grin

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 17, 2010, 07:05:57 AM »

No probs. Now, if you'd asked me who sang lead on "Let's go Away For A While", my wrath would have been biblical. Verily.  Grin

Well yeah, cuz that would be foolish -- everyone knows the lyrics were never recorded! Evil
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 17, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »

Everyone knows Tony Asher sang the lead.  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: August 17, 2010, 07:34:25 AM »

Everyone knows Tony Asher sang the lead.  Grin

Keep an eye out for showers of frogs and rivers of blood...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx