gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:53:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399554 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »

Alright, thank you so much!

I hope answering all these is your pleasure and not work, because I know when I get the chance to help out with info on here, it makes me feel somewhat smart.

yes yes, me too!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »

So about that biopic, American Family. Everyone knows that Mike Love oversaw the writing of that movie, and the proof is in the pudding, but if that's the case, how come he didn't have the whole illegitimate daughter thing taken out?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

So when was the track cut for Sheri She needs Me?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: July 28, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »

So when was the track cut for Sheri She needs Me?

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs65.html  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 28, 2010, 01:10:01 PM »

Yeah Yeah   Grin

I was kinda throwing it out there for those who knew it right off the bat so they could feel smart on this board.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: July 28, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »

Yeah Yeah   Grin

I was kinda throwing it out there for those who knew it right off the bat so they could feel smart on this board.  Wink

You know the real reason I put that site together ?

So's I don't have to remember this sh*t.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »

good call, I mean, the people (the beach boys) who did all that stuff can't hardly remember it either.  Wink Smokin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 29, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »

Maybe it's me because I post questions too much on here, but shouldn't this thread be a sticky at the top? I know we're trying to keep the sticky topics to a minimum, so I would understand if this suggestion doesn't occur.  Razz

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 29, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »

Lately, I've been reading the Add some Music to Your Day book, in particularly, the article: 'repairing the arid landscape the surf's up album[/i]' by Michael Bocchini. He refers to an album insert with a picture of a landscape; if memory serves me right, I've never seen this picture. Could someone be so kind and upload that photo or point me to the right direction where it's shown, in perhaps a BB book or Surf's Up twofr liner notes?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 29, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »

To go along with my singles challenge, I do have a question that I've always wondered, gearing towards singles. With the Beach Boys and Beatles both being on Capitol records, I'm guessing that Capitol had the 'say so' in what singles came out; but what always boggled my mind was that the Beatles had so many singles that don't appear on albums (majority of Past Masters Vol. 1 & 2, excluding single mixes; per example: Let it Be, Get Back, etc.) But the Beach Boys singles were always on the albums...was this because of a lack of confidence from Capitol? or did management have a say in this? I'm just asking for the fact that we don't have too many singles that don't appear on albums (aside from single mixes); really a handful of singles I can think of are: the Little Girl I Once Knew, Breakaway, Celebrate the News, Male Ego, It's a Beautiful Day, etc.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2010, 12:46:36 AM »

Lately, I've been reading the Add some Music to Your Day book, in particularly, the article: 'repairing the arid landscape the surf's up album[/i]' by Michael Bocchini. He refers to an album insert with a picture of a landscape; if memory serves me right, I've never seen this picture. Could someone be so kind and upload that photo or point me to the right direction where it's shown, in perhaps a BB book or Surf's Up twofr liner notes?

Not a landscape, but a brown-toned picture of a dried-up lake bed, the mud dried into polygons separated by deep cracks. It's used as the background of the pages with the "Brian Wilson himself..." headline. On the other side of this are the lyrics & credits (it's like a booklet with just four sides - said lyrics/credits are also reproduced in the 2fer booklet).

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

Maybe it's me because I post questions too much on here, but shouldn't this thread be a sticky at the top? I know we're trying to keep the sticky topics to a minimum, so I would understand if this suggestion doesn't occur.  Razz

Meh - usually if a topic is worth keeping stickied, it keeps itself on the first page. Stickying things can often lead to it being easily missed because usually things that are stickied aren't worthwhile or are only read once (announcements, rules, etc.)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »

Not a landscape, but a brown-toned picture of a dried-up lake bed, the mud dried into polygons separated by deep cracks. It's used as the background of the pages with the "Brian Wilson himself..." headline. On the other side of this are the lyrics & credits (it's like a booklet with just four sides - said lyrics/credits are also reproduced in the 2fer booklet).

to give an idea...

and for the other (lyrics and photos) side, visit http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/surfs-up/4517968224
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:39:08 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »

thank you so much

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »

I know throughout Brian's re-emergence in the 1980/90s it was suggested -- and sometimes actually planned -- that he work with various other artists who were at the time immensely popular and were huge fans of Brian. I know he was supposed to work with Sean O'Hagan (The High Llamas) and Andy Partridge (XTC), I think. (Both of these would have been amazing, alas! He should ring 'em up again...) Does anyone know who else, if there was anyone else, was floated that he could have worked with as a songwriting partner?

Some fun Patridge quotes featuring Brian (AV Club interview, 2007):
AVC: You weren't able to play guitar for six months because of a hand injury. Were you still writing songs during that time?

AP: Trying to, but it's not easy when you can't play properly. I have cassettes—how's that for duff technology? They still sound better than MP3s. I have loads of cassettes with about 100 bits of song. But I've just been kind of lazy and somewhat diverted from wanting to finish them off. Years ago, there was an interview with Brian Wilson—this was when he was coming out of his very troubled phase—and he said, "I have tapes with 100 pieces of song." And I thought, "God, why doesn't he just finish up a few of them?" And now I find myself in an identical position.

[. . .]

AVC: What will your solo record be like?

AP: I have no idea what my solo record is going to come out like. But in a sad, weird, deranged, Brian Wilson kind of way—and I should wear a grubby old dressing gown to say this—I do have 100 pieces of song. And you know, I felt so sorry for him when he said that. I thought, "God, Brian, get it together!" And now I've admitted to you that that's what I've got. Now I'm the crazy guy that stays in bed with tinnitus.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »

Not the most interesting question to ever be asked on this board I'm sure, but can anybody tell me if Dennis is vocally audible anywhere on the "Wild Honey" album? Can't hear him at all and no Bruce either for that matter.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2010, 05:29:18 PM »

How prevalent was the term "vibrations" being used for "innate impressions" before Good Vibrations came out?

I ask because I like the idea of a song changing the language like that, and I wanted to make sure.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 07, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »

Are there any...."fan videos" of any beach boys concert with Carl from 1997? I've never seen any footage of him from that year.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 09, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »

To go along with my singles challenge, I do have a question that I've always wondered, gearing towards singles. With the Beach Boys and Beatles both being on Capitol records, I'm guessing that Capitol had the 'say so' in what singles came out; but what always boggled my mind was that the Beatles had so many singles that don't appear on albums (majority of Past Masters Vol. 1 & 2, excluding single mixes; per example: Let it Be, Get Back, etc.) But the Beach Boys singles were always on the albums...was this because of a lack of confidence from Capitol? or did management have a say in this? I'm just asking for the fact that we don't have too many singles that don't appear on albums (aside from single mixes); really a handful of singles I can think of are: the Little Girl I Once Knew, Breakaway, Celebrate the News, Male Ego, It's a Beautiful Day, etc.

The asnwer is far more prosaic than anything you propose - in the UK the custom was not to include singles on albums, because then the fans were paying twice for the same songs.  While as on this side of the pond, the custom was to include the singles - since they were almost always the strongest tracks on the albums and would boost sales.  Capitol DID include Beatles singles that were not on albums in the UK on early Beatles albums on Capitol - and on  Yesterday and Today where they added Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out for example, or Magical Mystery Tour where they took a six song EP and made it into an album with five single sides.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 09, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »

The asnwer is far more prosaic than anything you propose - in the UK the custom was not to include singles on albums, because then the fans were paying twice for the same songs.  While as on this side of the pond, the custom was to include the singles - since they were almost always the strongest tracks on the albums and would boost sales.  Capitol DID include Beatles singles that were not on albums in the UK on early Beatles albums on Capitol - and on  Yesterday and Today where they added Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out for example, or Magical Mystery Tour where they took a six song EP and made it into an album with five single sides.

Good call...perhaps this is why we have the LP version of Be True to Your School and a single version, same as Fun Fun Fun (though I dont hear much of a difference), etc.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »

Does anyone here know of the SMiLE material missing from the currently available boots? What I'm asking here, is what we expect to obtain with an official SMiLE boxset, in terms of new material, not higher quality or somesuch.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2010, 02:34:03 AM »

Off the top of my head, there is a complete November '66 mix of Child Is The Father Of The Man in the vaults that surely would be on there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #522 on: August 10, 2010, 03:49:21 AM »

Not the most interesting question to ever be asked on this board I'm sure, but can anybody tell me if Dennis is vocally audible anywhere on the "Wild Honey" album? Can't hear him at all and no Bruce either for that matter.

I'm pretty sure I hear Bruce on "Country Air". Dennis? Damn, I'll have to play it again tonight just to find out.  Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: August 10, 2010, 04:53:31 AM »

Off the top of my head, there is a complete November '66 mix of Child Is The Father Of The Man in the vaults that surely would be on there.

Uh, that's around. If you know where to look.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2010, 05:09:27 AM »

*Spits coffee on my screen* What's it on?

Is there anything else that hasn't been booted? Just thinking about it, we have sessions for Wonderful (both versions), Heroes And Villains (the main sections, plus loads of little bits, including the Cantina, the bit that closes it on BWPS, and a lot of Part 2 sessions), Do You Dig Worms (although not the complete session, right?), Cabin Essence, Surf's Up, Look, CITFOTM, Holidays, Dada, False Barnyard, OMP, countless Vegetables sessions, Great Shape, WorkShop, I Wanna Be Around, the individual overdubs for Water, and even some Fire tapes!

The only things I can think we don't have are vocal overdubs on some things, the sessions for Barnyard, that mythical second Surf's Up session, and probably lots of other little tidbit H&V and Veggies sessions. But there is a lot out there....

I don't care how good the SOT's or whatever sound, I think an upgrade in sound quality might nearly be my main reason for buying a Smile box...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx