gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:41:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 2 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399368 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 02, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »

Unreleased Smile out-take... "The Old Master-Bater"...
You just made me spill Mountain Dew out of my nose.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 03, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »

Somebody here once mentioned the existence of an amateur recording of The Beach Boys rehearsing "California Feelin" on a tour bus, I believe. What's the story on this? When was it made? I assume it hasn't been booted, because I've never heard or seen anything about it.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 03, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »

What the hell does Carl growl half-way through "Palisades Park"? It sounds like "Oh yeah, it's cookin' so bad I can't stand [it]!" but it's just inaudible enough that I'm not sure.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 03, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »

How many licks does it take for Brian Wilson to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

How many snorts does it take for Brian Wilson to get through a gram of coke?

How many birthday cakes does it take to make Brian Wilson weigh over 300 pounds?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: July 03, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »

The answers to all 3 questions are probably the same... :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »

Is it true that Lady Lynda was used for a commercial on U.K. TV in the 1980's? Somebody made a comment on YouTube about it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »

Is it true that Lady Lynda was used for a commercial on U.K. TV in the 1980's? Somebody made a comment on YouTube about it.

Don't recall that... but "When Girls Get Together" was, for some kind of drink.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:15 AM »

What the hell does Carl growl half-way through "Palisades Park"? It sounds like "Oh yeah, it's cookin' so bad I can't stand [it]!" but it's just inaudible enough that I'm not sure.
I don't think that's Carl, but I've always understood it as what you wrote.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »

Yep, I have that recording on tape somewhere. I could check which drink that was.

EDIT:  found it, it was for a cocktail-drink called "Milty".
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:38:51 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »

Somebody must have actually liked the song enough to put it on a commercial on TV. That's a scary thought.

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »

So, what's the story about the Wilson/Paley sessions? I'm not as well-versed as I should be.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

Readers Digest version: the day the conservatorship case with Landy was settled in late 1991, Brian called Paley and said something like "I'm free, come on over, we'll start making some real music". The sessions lasted about two, three years and were mostly recorded at Your Place Or Mine (Mark's studio), then they kinda petered out after the Don Was documentary. I think it's no big secret that Melinda is not a big Paley fan.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:41 AM »

Here's something I've always wondered...what went down with Brian's pre-Melinda conservator, Jerome Billet? I know next to nothing about this period in Brian's life..,

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 08, 2010, 01:57:08 AM »

Readers Digest version: the day the conservatorship case with Landy was settled in late 1991, Brian called Paley and said something like "I'm free, come on over, we'll start making some real music". The sessions lasted about two, three years and were mostly recorded at Your Place Or Mine (Mark's studio), then they kinda petered out after the Don Was documentary. I think it's no big secret that Melinda is not a big Paley fan.

>: (

And then she went and hooked him up with Joe Thomas???

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: July 08, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »

Here's something I've always wondered...what went down with Brian's pre-Melinda conservator, Jerome Billet? I know next to nothing about this period in Brian's life..,

Billet was appointed Brian's conservator immediately post-Landy. Brian (or more accurately, someone acting on Brian's behalf) filed a suit against Billet on September 19th 1995, claiming "negligence and breach of fiduciary duty" in which he was described as a "former conservator".

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »

March 9, 1992 to June 22, 1995.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ag4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=jerome+billet+brian+wilson+lawsuit&source=bl&ots=2YHnTdUlSZ&sig=YjCpFezCONInkARJP5A5YUXKpgY&hl=en&ei=Reo1TMjQFIKB8gbGy9SDDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=jerome%20billet%20brian%20wilson%20lawsuit&f=false

The suit was just the last shoe to drop in the extensive wrangling over the Irving-Almo case, then Mike's followup lawsuit. I would be very surprised if Billet wasn't the driving force behind Brian's representation in the latter case, which was, everyone agreed, horrible.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 08, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »

So some of the songs ended up on GIOMH, but a bunch of them have gone unreleased, right?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 08, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »

Yes. GIOMH as featured on the album is a Thomas-era re-recording of the Paley song with an 03-04 vocal on top. Soul Searchin and Saturday Morning in the City are both (regardless of what people said at the time) the 94ish Paley sessions tracks with some new vocals. Desert Drive is an 03-04 02 re-recording of a Paley track (but with Paley playing and singing on it). On 98's Imagination, Where Has Love Been has a Paley credit as well; there's no mid-90s version known.

Four other songs have come out in various forms. This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight was released as a single B-side in 95 and In My Moondreams was on a compilation around that time too. Cover versions This Could Be the Night and Sweets for My Sweets were also cut at the time and were put on tribute albums.

So, broadly speaking, nine tunes from the sessions have come out in some form or another. Of those, six have more or less the original tracks, and three are remakes.

But. There are easily another 10-12 quality tracks from the sessions (and a handful of others in rougher, demo form) that haven't been released officially. These include another song the Beach Boys cut vocals for: You're Still a Mystery, and bona fide classics like Some Sweet Day, It's Not Easy Being Me and Chain Reaction of Love. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:00:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 08, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »

Desert Drive is an 03-04 re-recording of a Paley track (but with Paley playing and singing on it).
A minor point but it's a 2002 recording, and the only track on the album in which Mr. Sahanaja is present. Paley was out of the picture by 2003.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: July 09, 2010, 12:49:54 AM »

Desert Drive is an 03-04 re-recording of a Paley track (but with Paley playing and singing on it).
A minor point but it's a 2002 recording, and the only track on the album in which Mr. Sahanaja is present. Paley was out of the picture by 2003.

True, dat - there was an abortive attempt to record a new album in fall 2002 at Western: "DD" is a refugee from those sessions. "GIOMH" was largely recorded in 1998 just after the Imagination sessions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:52:03 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2010, 02:18:20 AM »

...and How Can We Still be Dancing was an Imagination outtake, correct?

What else was recorded in 2002?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: July 09, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »

...and How Can We Still be Dancing was an Imagination outtake, correct?

What else was recorded in 2002?

Just three songs recorded fall 2002, and "DD" is the only one I know by name. "HCWSBD" was first recorded 1998, but I think the released version is completely new. For them as is really interested in GIOMH, the known session dates are:

2002:
fall - Desert Drive/two other titles [Western]

2003:
March
17 - A Friend Like You/How Can We Still be Dancing [Your Place Or Mine]
18 - City Blues/A Friend Like You/How Can We Still be Dancing [Your Place Or Mine]
19 - Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel/City Blues/Soul Searchin' [Your Place Or Mine]

April   
18 - A Friend Like You [Your Place Or Mine]

May   
23 - City Blues (Clapton's guitar solo) [Olympic, London, England]

July   
29 - A Friend Like You/How Can We Still Be Dancing [Your Place Or Mine]

August   
15 - Soul Searchin'/A Friend Like You [Your Place Or Mine]

There's more BW solo session info here - http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigspost99.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:51:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:45 AM »

I could easily be wrong but I seem to remember that "You're Still a Mystery" was attempted at some point---either during the 2002 sessions or the GIOMH sessions themselves. Thank GOD that didn't get released!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 09, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »

I remember that too. Was actually sequenced as the closing track, I think. They ended up wanting to end with The Waltz as a segue to Smile.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 09, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »

I could easily be wrong but I seem to remember that "You're Still a Mystery" was attempted at some point---either during the 2002 sessions or the GIOMH sessions themselves. Thank GOD that didn't get released!

>: ( I like "You're Still a Mystery". Some of the lyrics are a little goofy and should be changed ("GOTTA FIND THE KEEEY NOW."), but otherwise I don't think it's too bad a song.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx