gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:57:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399333 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 09, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

Question, I remember a while ago, on another board, might have been the blueboard, where someone said there was a movie that had the whole BW 88 album playing through out or in a scene...anyone recall what this is or am I dreaming?

not totally sure of the name but i seem to remember the movie's title as lover boy...something like that. some kid gets a job as a pizza delivery guy and screws all these guys wife's. the husbands then try to track him down. i think about 3 or so songs from bw 88 were played...if this is the same movie you are asking about.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 09, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »

Question, I remember a while ago, on another board, might have been the blueboard, where someone said there was a movie that had the whole BW 88 album playing through out or in a scene...anyone recall what this is or am I dreaming?

not totally sure of the name but i seem to remember the movie's title as lover boy...something like that. some kid gets a job as a pizza delivery guy and screws all these guys wife's. the husbands then try to track him down. i think about 3 or so songs from bw 88 were played...if this is the same movie you are asking about.

You are, of course, correct! Starring Patrick Dempsey; info to be found here: http://www.fast-rewind.com/loverboy.htm

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 09, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »

Back when Carl was trying to get Smile out in some form in the early 70s (around CATP/Holland era), how much work did he do? like what kind of research: mix anything? make a track list? or overdub anything?

Seems all he & Desper did circa 1972 was to gather all the available tapes together, listen to them, make a list of tracks/songs, make saftey copies and put them all back into storage. Had thay not made safties, a lot of the Smile music that we have today might be lost.

Dang, GO CARL! That should be on a Top 5 for Carl Wilson Appreciation Thread

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:12 AM »

I have always wondered about the relationship between Dennis and Bruce. Everybody knows that Dennis and Mike didn't get along at all in the last few years. As Bruce seems to have sided with Mike since around the early 1980's, did Dennis and Bruce not get along? I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Bruce getting some kind of credit on Dennnis's POB album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:05 AM »

I have always wondered about the relationship between Dennis and Bruce. Everybody knows that Dennis and Mike didn't get along at all in the last few years. As Bruce seems to have sided with Mike since around the early 1980's, did Dennis and Bruce not get along? I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Bruce getting some kind of credit on Dennnis's POB album.

Yep he is credited with backing vocals but I'm pretty sure Bruce isn't really a fan of the album from what I recall.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »

Yep he is credited with backing vocals but I'm pretty sure Bruce isn't really a fan of the album from what I recall.

The falsetto on "End Of The Show" is Bruce. He also does the bvs to "Wild Situation" with Carl.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »

Back when Carl was trying to get Smile out in some form in the early 70s (around CATP/Holland era), how much work did he do? like what kind of research: mix anything? make a track list? or overdub anything?

Seems all he & Desper did circa 1972 was to gather all the available tapes together, listen to them, make a list of tracks/songs, make saftey copies and put them all back into storage. Had thay not made safties, a lot of the Smile music that we have today might be lost.

My understanding of what Desper and Carl did in 72:  collect tapes and either copy them or transfer them to 8 track (the instrumental sessions were originally on 4 track, with most vocal sessions done on 8 track at Columbia but not all).  The idea was to collect the material with safety copies and allow track room for overdubs for the planned release of Smile with Holland.  Much of the Smile boot material was derived from these 8 track compilations.  Desper has suggested that some minor work, i.e. overdubs, were attempted on some of the tapes but has never mentioned titles or what kind of overdubs were done, perhaps because he doesn't remember.  Of course we know overdubs were done on Prayer and Cabinessence (vocal overdubs) for 20/20 - interestingly, the multitrack tape for the Cabinessence version has disappeared, only the two track mixdown is in the Beach Boys tape vault.  I've wondered if the backing vocal for the Worms verse (the one released on the box set with the tape wobble) was a 1972 overdub, as it hasn't appeared elsewhere on the 8 track tapes that came out on Sea of Tunes.  Worms was on Carl's track list for the 72 Smile.  Of course if they bothered to do backing vocals on that, why not just record the lead vocal and then the track would be finished?  Unless they didn't have the lyrics and Brian (and Van Dyke) wasn't willing to cooperate.  Ultimately Brian's resistance to the project convinced Carl to abandon it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 10, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »

I was recently listening to a recording of a concert (one of the first TLOS shows, I think)...anyways, it was one of the shows where When I Grow Up to Be a Man is performed (and then She Knows Me Too Well, then I'd Love just Once to See You); and the band sings one last part of When I grow Up accapella, and I can't figure out what they sing/say, it sounds like: "it's going to suck," or something like that, anyone wanna take a stab at this one?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »

I was recently listening to a recording of a concert (one of the first TLOS shows, I think)...anyways, it was one of the shows where When I Grow Up to Be a Man is performed (and then She Knows Me Too Well, then I'd Love just Once to See You); and the band sings one last part of When I grow Up accapella, and I can't figure out what they sing/say, it sounds like: "it's going to suck," or something like that, anyone wanna take a stab at this one?
Its Kinda Sad
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »

AH HA! Thank you!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

Just saw the vocal credits thread - is that really Mike on "I Love to Say Da Da"? I'd always thought it was Brian.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »

Just saw the vocal credits thread - is that really Mike on "I Love to Say Da Da"? I'd always thought it was Brian.

I've always thought it was Mike though I could see how someone would think it would Brian doing a rare pre-1972 deep vocal.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »

I've always thought it was Mike though I could see how someone would think it would Brian doing a rare pre-1972 deep vocal.

I don't hear any bit of Mike's bass voice in there.

On the Smile material, Brian's all over the place as far as tone goes - the "Good Vibrations" scratch take, "He Gives Speeches", and even the two different vocals we have for "Heroes and Villains" almost sound like four different vocalists. I really think it's him on "Da Da", but if not him, then I really don't think it's Mike.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 17, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »

This might be worthy of its own thread -- and if so, I will make one -- but for now I will place the question here:

Can someone more precisely lay out the lineage between the great American songwriters (Gershwin, Foster, Berlin, etc.) and Brian Wilson? I have heard often enough that he is considered -- or was, at least, during the 1966-67 Smile era -- to be a contemporary incarnate of this tradition. Is this because he fashioned an America in the Beach Boys' songs that was worthy of people like Berlin and Foster (although here I primarily think of Smile songs perhaps "Surfin' USA" and "Hawaii" might vaguely qualify), or merely that his compositional style was what Gershwin tended to do (with "Rhapsody in Blue" as the obvious example), or was it both? Surely there is reason people often group Brian in with Berlin and Gershwin and Porter and co., and although I have some sense of why, I'm curious what the more informed folks here think.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 17, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »

I don't know if he was really compared to such songwriters at the time.

Starting in the 70s, there was certainly a strain of criticism that talked about BW/BB music as archetypically American (surfing, cars, etc.) and how that was part of an American popular songwriting tradition that went back to people like Stephen Foster. That was primarily about subject matter, although the way the music made these subjects soar was certainly part of the equation.

Compositionally, I'm not sure if people really drew the connection until much more recently. And frankly, Brian's stuff is not always as sophisticated as the greatest songs by Porter, Berlin and Gershwin, etc. Brian worked in another tradition -- doo-wop and R&B flavored in the beginning -- and his songs came from that, although they were augmented with "adult" touches that he picked up from Four Freshman-style records.

That being said, like Lennon and McCartney, he took a very simple, three-chord popular form and made it something quite different. And he incorporates arrangement, production and performance in his tunes in a way that the Gershwin, etc. could not have imagined.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »

I don't know if he was really compared to such songwriters at the time.

Starting in the 70s, there was certainly a strain of criticism that talked about BW/BB music as archetypically American (surfing, cars, etc.) and how that was part of an American popular songwriting tradition that went back to people like Stephen Foster. That was primarily about subject matter, although the way the music made these subjects soar was certainly part of the equation.

Compositionally, I'm not sure if people really drew the connection until much more recently. And frankly, Brian's stuff is not always as sophisticated as the greatest songs by Porter, Berlin and Gershwin, etc. Brian worked in another tradition -- doo-wop and R&B flavored in the beginning -- and his songs came from that, although they were augmented with "adult" touches that he picked up from Four Freshman-style records.

That being said, like Lennon and McCartney, he took a very simple, three-chord popular form and made it something quite different. And he incorporates arrangement, production and performance in his tunes in a way that the Gershwin, etc. could not have imagined.

Embarrassed I should have figured such comparisons were not contemporaneous with his work in the 1960s.

That makes sense though. I suppose what I was wondering is whether he made a conscious effort to bring himself into that "great American songbook" tradition or if such comparisons were bestowed upon him after he just sort of did his thing. He certainly seemed to cover enough of such material, which is what made me curious initially. Thanks for the corrective! (I suppose if I knew music theory, Inside the Music of Brian Wilson by Phillip Lambert would be instructive here.)
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 18, 2010, 11:59:54 AM »

From the thread about songs where all the vocals are Brian:

Well, discounting the obvious (i.e. songs like "Caroline, No" or "Don't Talk..."), all the voices on "The Surfer Moon" sound awfully similar to me.

Of the seven vocal tracks on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", six are Brian.

Which part is not Brian on that track? I thought they were all him...

Sorry, misremembered it slightly.

The 8-track sheet from Columbia looks like this (all spellings, etc. as on sheet):

1. Bryan - chorus
2. Bryan -  lead no. 1
3. vocal group no. 1
4. orchestra (i.e. instrumental track - AGD)
5. Bryan - lead no. 2
6  Bryan - chorus
7. vocal group no. 2
8. Bryan - no. 1 - echo

I also saw the same misspelling in (I think) the box set booklet.

Who working that closely with the Beach Boys thought his name was spelled "Bryan"? If his name actually was "Bryan" I could see misspelling it "Brian" because it's much more common with an "I" than a "Y" but not the other way.

Well, no matter how you spell it, Bryan is a great singer. Sometimes I have trouble telling his voice from Karl's.  LOL

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

Or Allan's.  LOL
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »

Or Allan's.  LOL

Or telling his bass voice apart from Mikal's.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2010, 02:06:02 AM »

Who does the grunts in 'Bicycle Rider'? Mike?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 21, 2010, 02:11:51 AM »

Or Allan's.  LOL

Or telling his bass voice apart from Mikal's.
Gets even more complicated when you get Brunettie into the mix.  LOL
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »

Is it Brian on the piano on Don't Go Near the Water?

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »

I always thought Mike as well.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »

No, no NO !!! It's Brian !  Don't you understand ? Everything you think is Mike, is actually Brian - yes, even the lead on "Fun, Fun, Fun". Brian is a genius, he can imitate everyone's voice perfectly. Always remember this. It was even Brian pumping gas.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:05:42 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »

No, no NO !!! It's Brian !  Don't you understand ? Everything you think is Mike, is actually Brian - yes, even the lead on "Fun, Fun, Fun". Brian is a genius, he can imitate everyone's voice perfectly. Always remember this. It was even Brian pumping gas.

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART AGD!  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx