gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:33:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399294 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »

Ok, here's another Dennis related Beach Boys question. It has been reported that the last recording of The Beach Boys to feature Dennis was the song Endless Harmony.It has also been stated that Dennis played "percussion" on the song. What, exactly, does the word "percussion" refer to? What was the last Beach Boys recording that Dennis played full "drums" on? Was it the Johnny B Goode KTSA outtake?

Indeed, it was "JBG". As for 'percussion', I take that to mean stuff like a bell tree, maracas, tambourine - basically anything you hit that isn't a drum/drum kit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »

Has that version of JBG ever been "booted"? Strange that one of the last songs recorded with Dennis hasn't seen some sort of release.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

Has that version of JBG ever been "booted"? Strange that one of the last songs recorded with Dennis hasn't seen some sort of release.

Not to my knowledge.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »

My question is: Did Murry provide any backing vocals for 'Help Me Rhonda' - the album version?

There's a deep voice in there which is gravelly and - well, middle-aged. There's a lot going on the background of that chorus - kind of occult noises.

Session tapes reveal Dennis and Mike doing a low parallel harmony ("rhon-rhon, rhon-rhon") which sounds like what you're talking about.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »

Ok, here's another Dennis related Beach Boys question. It has been reported that the last recording of The Beach Boys to feature Dennis was the song Endless Harmony.It has also been stated that Dennis played "percussion" on the song. What, exactly, does the word "percussion" refer to? What was the last Beach Boys recording that Dennis played full "drums" on? Was it the Johnny B Goode KTSA outtake?

Indeed, it was "JBG". As for 'percussion', I take that to mean stuff like a bell tree, maracas, tambourine - basically anything you hit that isn't a drum/drum kit.

Great question...it's actually also the last session to feature the Beach Boys recording as a full functioning band together.  Found out recently on the board that all 5 instrumental BBs are on this track.  For less than a minute, granted, but it's one of the best parts of KTSA.

Went back and listened for the "percussion" -- the only thing I hear is a (very effective) stroke across a set of chimes at 2:53.  So there's Dennis' contribution to KTSA. 

I can't hear it, because it would be covered up by the hi-hat, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an eight-note shaker pulse throughout the rest of the track.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZyEsSQoEk
The melody that is played by the guitar at the beginning, does it appear in another song?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »

Quick question for anyone in the know... Who owns the rights for the "Still Cruisin'" album and what is the likelyhood of it getting a proper remaster/reissue? I was listening to it on my mp3 yesterday then skipped to some Wild Honey tracks and was stunned by how flat and tinny it sounded by comparison to songs recorded 20 years before. Gotta be worth remastering it just for "Somewhere near Japan" alone. Maybe pile on Rock and Roll to the Rescue, Chasin' the Sky, East meets West etc as bonus tracks (I know I'm getting carried away here).

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: May 19, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »

Quick question for anyone in the know... Who owns the rights for the "Still Cruisin'" album and what is the likelyhood of it getting a proper remaster/reissue? I was listening to it on my mp3 yesterday then skipped to some Wild Honey tracks and was stunned by how flat and tinny it sounded by comparison to songs recorded 20 years before. Gotta be worth remastering it just for "Somewhere near Japan" alone. Maybe pile on Rock and Roll to the Rescue, Chasin' the Sky, East meets West etc as bonus tracks (I know I'm getting carried away here).

Capitol, I presume.

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: May 19, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »

Capitol, I presume.

"Still Cruisin'" is iffy since two of the tracks, "Kokomo" and "Wipeout", are licensed from outside companies ("Kokomo" is owned by Disney and "Wipeout" is controlled by Polygram which is now Universal Music).

Me thinks that if it were to be remastered (and that's a pretty big IF), they would remove Landy's co-writing and production credits.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:57:17 PM by JaredLekites » Logged

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »

How is Dennis's playing on Johnny B Goode? I've always thought that Dennis wasn't much of a great live drummer in the last few years of his life. He basically played the same simple cymbal/drum pattern for almost every song. So it would be interesting to hear his playing in the studio from this period.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2010, 03:35:28 AM »

Capitol, I presume.

"Still Cruisin'" is iffy since two of the tracks, "Kokomo" and "Wipeout", are licensed from outside companies ("Kokomo" is owned by Disney and "Wipeout" is controlled by Polygram which is now Universal Music).

Me thinks that if it were to be remastered (and that's a pretty big IF), they would remove Landy's co-writing and production credits.

This stems from the fact that they were intially used on soundtracks I presume? Shame, whilst no masterpiece I would appreciate a 'modern audio equipment standards' version for my collection.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »

What is that weird noise in the first verse of IJWMFTT? Sounds like tape loops similar to Tomorrow Never Knows but I'm not sure.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »

What is that weird noise in the first verse of IJWMFTT? Sounds like tape loops similar to Tomorrow Never Knows but I'm not sure.
The first thing that pops into my head is the theremin/tannerin, but that's obvious.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:42 PM »

Does anyone have MIDI or sheet music or whatever of the Don't Talk harmony bit? You know, this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scIncjf0y0E&feature=related
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

On the Goodbye Surfing, Hello God bootleg box set put out by Vigotone, there is a track called "Harmony Friends" that is, they allege, an harmony that Brian and co. left unused. I just listened to an a cappella mix of "Break Away" and the ending of the song struck me. Does anyone else think the ending of "Break Away" incorporates that bit of harmony? I realise the harmony itself is typical enough and so it could be mere coincidence, but there was obviously something about it that made me think it could be the same one. Enough to post about it, at any rate!
Jason
« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »

It is indeed the tag from Break Away.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »

When it comes to how the blend was made up, is this accurate? From highest to lowest:
-Brian
-Bruce
-Al
-Carl
-Dennis
-Mike
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 08, 2010, 01:21:58 AM »

You mean, in general?  I don't know how it went down when all six of them were singing.  In the early days Dennis was, surprisingly, higher than Carl.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2010, 05:01:35 AM »

Sometimes Carl would sing a higher part than Al (like on "Surfer Girl" for instance).  Like Adam said, Dennis was sometimes higher than Carl (like "In My Room", although it got switched later on onstage).  I think Bruce was oftentimes higher than Brian in the background mix (I'm thinking of things like "Sloop John B.", "Good Vibrations", and "Heroes and Villains", where Brian sang some very high lines for sure, but when there's a mass of voices together, maybe Bruce is higher).
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 08, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »

It is indeed the tag from Break Away.

Ah, gotta love inaccurate boots. Thanks!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 08, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »

Has Mr. Badman ever publicly commented on his "misinformation", and relying on other sources in his book? Or about the Social Security numbers and other information like that?

Not really... when I emailed him (and the publishers) to point out a few concerns of mine, he told me that his researchers neglected to provide their sources when they delivered their info to him, and also that he was unaware of the significance of American Social Security numbers. Otherwise, I've seen no 'public' apology.

Andrew - I found that equally shocking (the Social Security Numbers publication) and, think should have been "redacted out" especially in light of the fact that there is a "half-hearted" attempt in doing same with the "Employer's Address (which is "visible" on p. 127 of Badman) and street address, as well as the label which was crossed out.  On other pages such as on p. 109 and 118, there is no "redaction" or "blacking out" of any information.

Those numbers are highly "private" but used to be employed at an ID number on the Drivers Licences in many states in the US, although my home state has removed it and assigns another non Social Security number as your Drivers License ID number, as Identity theft has become such a problem.   

It is particularly shocking, given the copyright of my book, which is 2004 and during a time when not only Identity Theft became an issue but also a news item, as "for a price"  people were able to ascertain the Social Security numbers of US Presidents and high profile individuals.   

One would think that if a subsequent "printing" should occur, not only should the numbers be "redacted" completely, an apology should issue from the author for their inclusion in the first place, since less important (in my opinion) information was "redacted" or "blacked out" in what is offered as an historic document.   

And in the July, 1969 section, I think there are concert date "errors."       
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: June 08, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »

And in the July, 1969 section, I think there are concert date "errors."       

The whole book is bursting with concert date errors - if you go to the gigs & sessions section of my website, you'll notice that there are a lot of dates between 1961 and 1976 inclusive that are marked with an asterisk. They were either not included in Badman's book, or contained some error. If a concert is in Badman but not in 10452, then that gig never took place (and not because it was cancelled !). Ian Rusten did all the research for that, and I am forever indebted to him.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »

Question, I remember a while ago, on another board, might have been the blueboard, where someone said there was a movie that had the whole BW 88 album playing through out or in a scene...anyone recall what this is or am I dreaming?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »

Back when Carl was trying to get Smile out in some form in the early 70s (around CATP/Holland era), how much work did he do? like what kind of research: mix anything? make a track list? or overdub anything?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: June 09, 2010, 01:00:26 AM »

Back when Carl was trying to get Smile out in some form in the early 70s (around CATP/Holland era), how much work did he do? like what kind of research: mix anything? make a track list? or overdub anything?

Seems all he & Desper did circa 1972 was to gather all the available tapes together, listen to them, make a list of tracks/songs, make saftey copies and put them all back into storage. Had thay not made safties, a lot of the Smile music that we have today might be lost.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx