gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:30:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399157 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »

Some of the Paley tapes are on GOIMH!
I happen to think that GIOMH is Brian's best album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2010, 03:12:49 AM »

You and maybe one other, then.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »

I actually like a lot of it. At least it sounds like a Brian Wilson production, which is more than can be said for Imagination or even 88. I don't know what else everyone hears that is so awful. Yes some of the vocals are a bit off, but it's Brian we're talking about...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »

This is the thing about GIOMH. There were folks who liked it when it came out. And there were folks who didn't like it. And the folks who didn't like it, they didn't like it with a passion that put the first group of folks to shame. And that continues to be the case. I doubt many people who like it feel like it's the second coming of Smile, or even Love You. But I find it, like you, clearly a BW production, even if a somewhat ramshackle one. But opinion is so divided that it's hard to discuss the album in much more depth than "I like it," "I hate it," "You're wrong," "No, you're wrong."

And for the folks disposed to like it, Brian has released several other, slicker (and arguably better) things since. So it's more pleasant -- and interesting -- to talk about BWPS or the Christmas album or the Bennett demos or TLOS.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »

1 - Brian didn't choose the songs.
2 - too many BW bvs.
3 - Brian doesn't sound like he's enjoying himself.
4 - far too many of the vocals (lead & bv) are rushed, and frankly some suck.
5 - the mix is, by and large, appalling*: as a friend of mine who knows his music and knows his Brian said, 'everything louder than everything else'.
6 - these days, no-one in Brian's organisation talks about it. And I mean no-one.

[* - I know, the credits say Mark mixed it and so does he. I happen not to believe the totality of that, and nor does someone else who was at hand. Mark operated the board, but my belief is he was taking orders.]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:51:08 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »

1 - Brian didn't choose the songs.
2 - too many BW bvs.
3 - Brian doesn't sound like he's enjoying himself.
4 - far too many of the vocals (lead & bv) are rushed, and frankly some suck.
5 - the mix is, by and large, appalling*: as a friend of mine who knows his music and knows his Brian said, 'everything louder than everything else'.
6 - these days, no-one in Brian's organisation talks about it. And I mean no-one.

[* - I know, the credits say Mark mixed it and so does he. I happen not to believe the totality of that, and nor does someone else who was at hand. Mark operated the board, but my belief is he was taking orders.]

Wow, I didn't know that

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 25, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »

As I said, it's difficult to talk about GIOMH because opinion is so divided.  Most of AGD's points (2, 3, 4 and 5) boil down to personal impressions.

Which is fine. And I agree with some of them. But not all.

Brian has been "forced" to record for much of the last 40 years. People have disavowed albums he's produced (15BO) left and right. A sequence of folks have pulled his strings. But we still discuss and enjoy many albums produced in such circumstances.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2010, 05:42:48 PM »

I profess my enjoyment of GIOMH because it was a time in which it was the first BW production to come out when I had became a 'real' fan....at the time I started obsessing over the BB/BW, Live at the Roxy had just came out, so GIOMH was just the first thing I could really enjoy at the time it came out...and I knew most were songs of Paley/Sweet Insanity era, but I enjoyed it anyway

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 25, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »

7. Darian's not on it.

AGD's right about no-one mentioning it, on the NPR interview from 2008 Bennett mentioned it just in passing and there was a complete silence following it.

I used to be in the middle regarding GIOMH, but now I'm fairly negative. It's simply because I've listened to the Paley sessions so much and prefer those versions many, many, many times over to the versions that were released. Same goes for DLHKSAA, which, despite the shoddy SI production, has a gorgeous lead from Brian (on the second version). Compare that to the travesty we were given on the GIOMH album and there you go.

But really, it's never that same, as is usually the case with Brian. GIOMH has one of Brian's very worst songs on his own, "The Waltz," and one of his best solo songs/recordings, "Desert Drive."

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 25, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »

I like GIOMH simply for the fact that It actually sounds like a Brian Wilson recording. There are little musical touches off and on that remind me of Pet Sounds. Not that GIOMH is anywhere near Pet Sounds, mind you. But I listen to songs like You've Touched Me and GIOMH, and I can hear little brief shades and hints of PS.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »

7. Darian's not on it.

AGD's right about no-one mentioning it, on the NPR interview from 2008 Bennett mentioned it just in passing and there was a complete silence following it.

I used to be in the middle regarding GIOMH, but now I'm fairly negative. It's simply because I've listened to the Paley sessions so much and prefer those versions many, many, many times over to the versions that were released. Same goes for DLHKSAA, which, despite the shoddy SI production, has a gorgeous lead from Brian (on the second version). Compare that to the travesty we were given on the GIOMH album and there you go.

But really, it's never that same, as is usually the case with Brian. GIOMH has one of Brian's very worst songs on his own, "The Waltz," and one of his best solo songs/recordings, "Desert Drive."

Yeah, I know a lot of people expected a lot here, especially with VDP's credit....honestly, I've gotta give props to the original: Lets Get Together; the  accordion is outta sight and my fav vocal part of Sweet Insanity: "When you smile at me."  Brian's voice sounds great!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »

honestly, I've gotta give props to the original: Lets Get Together; the  accordion is outta sight

Take a bow, Weird Al !  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »

I thought that's who it was   Cheesy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2010, 07:44:47 AM »

That's the other difficult part of GIOMH -- fans were familiar with previous versions of 11 (possibly 12) of the 13 songs. And had been familiar for years. It can be very hard to listen to the record without hearing the earlier versions in your head and comparing.

This is okay in some cases -- most of the SI backing tracks were begging to be recut -- but to lose the Paley sessions lead to the title track and Carl's bridge in Soul Searchin' hurts.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:46:24 AM by claymcc » Logged
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »

I like GIOMH simply for the fact that It actually sounds like a Brian Wilson recording. There are little musical touches off and on that remind me of Pet Sounds. Not that GIOMH is anywhere near Pet Sounds, mind you. But I listen to songs like You've Touched Me and GIOMH, and I can hear little brief shades and hints of PS.

Exactly what makes it a worthwhile production for me. Plus, I, for some insane reason, don't think his vocals are that awful. "You've Touched Me" which people have often used as an example, is probably my favorite on the album--it's a simple Brian Wilson love song, that is, really, very endearing. Too me he doesn't sound uninterested as much as comfortable just singing over his music. No frills or pretension, he's just making BW music. Plus, that tag! BW always has the best tags and this one's up there with Melt Away and all the others he's done--amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »

GIOMH isn't that bad really... Used to like it a lot when it came out in 2004, though I have to say I put it away for several years after that. To me, it sounds kind of half-assed but it still has its moments, "You've Touched Me" being a particular favorite of mine as well, as stylistically it used to remind me of the Friends album. It's nowhere near as brilliant as that, but still a nice enough song if you ask me. (REALLY dislike "Fairy Tale", however, as that song to me contains the downright most cringe-inducing BB-related lyric ever.) I'd give it 2 1/2 stars...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »

Exactly what makes it a worthwhile production for me. Plus, I, for some insane reason, don't think his vocals are that awful. "You've Touched Me" which people have often used as an example, is probably my favorite on the album--it's a simple Brian Wilson love song, that is, really, very endearing. Too me he doesn't sound uninterested as much as comfortable just singing over his music. No frills or pretension, he's just making BW music. Plus, that tag! BW always has the best tags and this one's up there with Melt Away and all the others he's done--amazing.
That tag to You've Touched Me just might be the best beach boys related moment since the tage to Funky Pretty.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »

Anyone feel the need for another slow ballad of beauty on the Love You album? I feel as though the Night is So Young is the only slow number and this album cries for another ballad like song, I think My Diane would fit perfectly (maybe add some synth to fit in)  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »

That's the other difficult part of GIOMH -- fans were familiar with previous versions of 11 (possibly 12) of the 13 songs. And had been familiar for years. It can be very hard to listen to the record without hearing the earlier versions in your head and comparing.

This is okay in some cases -- most of the SI backing tracks were begging to be recut -- but to lose the Paley sessions lead to the title track and Carl's bridge in Soul Searchin' hurts.
See, I never liked Carl's original bridge on Soul Searchin'. Although I will say that going from Carl's voice to Brian's 2003 voice is quite jarring. And they cut out the backing vocals! The backing vocals on the original 1995(?) version were GREAT. They start on the second verse, I believe. But they were edited out of the GIOMH version.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2010, 12:03:56 AM »

See, I never liked Carl's original bridge on Soul Searchin'. Although I will say that going from Carl's voice to Brian's 2003 voice is quite jarring. And they cut out the backing vocals! The backing vocals on the original 1995(?) version were GREAT. They start on the second verse, I believe. But they were edited out of the GIOMH version.

I strongly suspect because said bvs were by Mike, Alan & Adam.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »

AGD -- I believe you mean Matt rather than Adam, no?

That's what I recall from reports ...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »

AGD -- I believe you mean Matt rather than Adam, no?

That's what I recall from reports ...

Damn Jardines - they all look the same to me.  Grin

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »

Is Matt Jardine doubling Brian's lead on "You're Still a Mystery"?

Matthew has a hell of a voice btw.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Paulos
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »

New question that I wanted to ask: Why the hell wasn't Carry Me Home on Holland and why has it still not had an official release? I didn't download Carry Me Home last week and I'm completely knocked out by it, Dennis' voice is so heartfelt its wonderful to behold and the backing vocals are just heavenly, Blondies parts are great too, I can't praise this song enough.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: April 27, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »

I think the concensus was (Dennis included) that it was too downbeat. Shame. Powerful number.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx