gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:21:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399341 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »

Do outtakes from the "Summer In Paradise" sessions exist or did they only record the songs that are on the album?

If they do, I seriously don't wanna hear them. Considering what's on the album, can you imagine how bad the stuff they left off was ?  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »

I dunno, in '76-'77 the Boys were tending to leave their best material unreleased...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »

I dunno, in '76-'77 the Boys were tending to leave their best material unreleased...

Fair point, but when you stack up SIP against Love You, and even 15 BO... well ! Grin

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »

Only One Earth had been written by that point so may have been attempted. I think Bruce has said though that Terry Melcher hated SIP because they had to rush the production to get it out, so I doubt they had time to try much they didn't use.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »

Only One Earth had been written by that point so may have been attempted. I think Bruce has said though that Terry Melcher hated SIP because they had to rush the production to get it out, so I doubt they had time to try much they didn't use.

Get it out for WHAT!?!!??  kokomo had been, what, four years ago?  its not like they had some fleeting moment to capitalize on (as one could at least argue with 15 big ones)!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »

Edit: Nevermind Sad
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:59:05 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2010, 12:31:54 AM »

Get it out for WHAT!?!!??  kokomo had been, what, four years ago?  its not like they had some fleeting moment to capitalize on (as one could at least argue with 15 big ones)!

The record deal that they'd been offered.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »

The record deal that they'd been offered.

What 'deal they were offered' ?  SIP was released on Brother Entertainment. Like, their own custom label ?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »

Do outtakes from the "Summer In Paradise" sessions exist or did they only record the songs that are on the album?

If they do, I seriously don't wanna hear them. Considering what's on the album, can you imagine how bad the stuff they left off was ?  Shocked
But what about the songs that were recorded? Since it was all done on computers, are there any "session tapes"? Is there even a "master tape"? Or was it all saved on some kind of hard drive?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

What 'deal they were offered' ?  SIP was released on Brother Entertainment. Like, their own custom label ?

According to Bruce, they were offered a stack of cash to get it out quickly.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »

By whom ? The label, which is to say, themselves ?  The only other people who might make such an offer were the distributors, Navarre.

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »

If they do, I seriously don't wanna hear them. Considering what's on the album, can you imagine how bad the stuff they left off was ?  Shocked
But what about the songs that were recorded? Since it was all done on computers, are there any "session tapes"? Is there even a "master tape"? Or was it all saved on some kind of hard drive?
I wonder why there are so many session recordings from the '60s and '70s out there and just so few from the '80s and '90s?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »

By whom ? The label, which is to say, themselves ?  The only other people who might make such an offer were the distributors, Navarre.

Yep. you are probably right that Bruce has said it was Navarre who forced them to get it out at speed.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »

If they do, I seriously don't wanna hear them. Considering what's on the album, can you imagine how bad the stuff they left off was ?  Shocked
I wonder why there are so many session recordings from the '60s and '70s out there and just so few from the '80s and '90s?

Probs because they all knew you can't polish a turd no matter how long you spend on it!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »

Yep. you are probably right that Bruce has said it was Navarre who forced them to get it out at speed.

And how ironic that Navarre went under within a year of Summer In Paradise's release. The album technically was out of print as soon as it was released!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2010, 03:42:15 AM »

Has that song "Hawaiian Song" surfaced yet? I think it's from the Smiley sessions? Possibly an early version of Little Pad. Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but couldn't remember if anyone had heard it or not.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:49:14 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »

80s-90s sessions surfaced as in official or unofficial release? prolly because there's one major thing missing in those sessions: BRIAN, for the most part; let alone creativity

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
ivrimark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:25 AM »

New subject, and fairly insignificant so I'll put it here.
Having read a post here and there about "mistaken" Beach Boys songs (i.e. Here Come De Honey Man, Ant Bee's "Worms" cover), I'm curious if there are other BB rarities that are not the Beach Boys at all.  Specifically, wasn't there a "Holidays" track from an early Smile vinyl boot that fits this category (or is that the "Honey Man" track?)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »

The first Smile cd I bought had "Laughing Gravy"s version of "Vegetables" on it. Took me about all of 8 seconds to realise it was a cover and not a session out take.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »

Has that song "Hawaiian Song" surfaced yet? I think it's from the Smiley sessions? Possibly an early version of Little Pad. Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but couldn't remember if anyone had heard it or not.

Good call - part of "Hawaiian Song" transmuted into "Little Pad".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »

Having read a post here and there about "mistaken" Beach Boys songs (i.e. Here Come De Honey Man, Ant Bee's "Worms" cover), I'm curious if there are other BB rarities that are not the Beach Boys at all.  Specifically, wasn't there a "Holidays" track from an early Smile vinyl boot that fits this category (or is that the "Honey Man" track?)

That's "Honey Man".  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »

The Holiday track you refer to is a Miles Davis' tune called Holiday that was on one of the first Smile boots as a practical joke, I used LLVS as a source.

BTW, another mistaken as a BB song: Balboa Nights, just an instrumental track I found recently, prolly discovered a long time ago.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »

Having read a post here and there about "mistaken" Beach Boys songs (i.e. Here Come De Honey Man, Ant Bee's "Worms" cover), I'm curious if there are other BB rarities that are not the Beach Boys at all.  Specifically, wasn't there a "Holidays" track from an early Smile vinyl boot that fits this category (or is that the "Honey Man" track?)

The Holiday track you refer to is a Miles Davis' tune called Holiday that was on one of the first Smile boots as a practical joke, I used LLVS as a source.

BTW, another mistaken as a BB song: Balboa Nights, just an instrumental track I found recently, prolly discovered a long time ago.

Good call - on a whole bunch of compilations of Hite Morgan BB tracks, there are songs not by them.

Marketts -
Balboa Blue
Wipe Out
Surfer's Stomp

Frogmen -
Tioga
Beware Below
Underwater

Tornadoes -
Phantom Surfer
Bustin' Surfboards

Surfin' Six -
Little Deuce Coupe

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »

Ok, here's another question: Exactly when did the lyrics to "Rhonda" change from "She was gonna be my wife...", to "She was gonna be my women", in the live performances of the song? It's a trivial thing, but I've always wondered who changed the lyric, when it was changed, and why it was changed. While I'm at it, who changed it back to "wife"?  Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:29:48 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »

Ok, here's another question: Exactly when did the lyrics to "Rhonda" change from "She was gonna be my wife...", to "She was gonna be my women", in the live performances of the song? It's a trivial thing, but I've always wondered who changed the lyric, when it was changed, and why it was changed. While I'm at it, who changed it back to "wife"?  Grin
I think it was mostly sung with the woman lyric in the 70's. They played it real funky from 1971-80 so I think that's when they adapted the lyrics slightly.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx