gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:28:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399482 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »

Random question: Did Keith Badman release a new copy of his book that didn't contain the session musician's SSN?

Apparently so - not seen one myself but I have it from reliable sources that there are copies of his book out there with the SSNs whited out.

Will he do a 2nd volume for say: 1978-1998?

Highly unlikely... but never say no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »

In 1978 Brian moved to bass (notorious Australian tour).  Was Ed Carter in the band at that time and if so what did he do?

Brian started playing some bass on BB's tours in late '76 and throughout '77, by Australia he'd been playing bass for a year and a half already, however he started dancing  Shocked ...and playing bass on more songs on that tour. Ed Carter would play guitar (or occasionally percussion)on the songs Brian played bass on(when he was there).

Actually having been at a couple of the Australian shows on THAT tour I recall that both Brian and Dennis would leave the stage and take "breaks" (as it was described in the media at the time) so in the case of Brian there must have been somebody else on stage covering the bass playing. I don't recall Brian doing any dancing on the tour, certainly not like the footage that is circulating of the Largo show.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »

Witness Brian dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »

Brian danced like an amphetamine Yeti on that Aus. '78 tour.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »

Jeez... that I could have happily done without seeing. Ever.

Jason
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »

That's nowhere near as bad as Brian on, I believe, American Bandstand in 1988 singing Night Time standing alone with a microphone doing a frightening swagger of a dance.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »

So I've had this Odeon Records Version of Smile for a while, and it contains all the standard stuff, however it also has a version of Can't Wait Too Long, the first thirty seconds of which I've never heard before. It starts with a really mournful acapella part featuring a female voice and then breaks into a version of the main part of the song with clapping. Does anybody know where exactly this is from?

I've been wondering when this is from, too. I don't think that's a female voice - more likely Brian. Just the same, is this just another Wild Honey version? A Smile version as the bootleg implies? Does a more complete take exist?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

The version of Can't Wait Too Long on that Odeon Smile CD has been circulating since 1983, a rough edit. It is not, I repeat, NOT a Smile recording. Tracking sessions were in November 1967 during Wild Honey sessions, sweetening and vocal overdubs in March-April 1968 during Friends. Then several overdubs in 1979 for possible inclusion on Keepin' The Summer Alive.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »

The version of Can't Wait Too Long on that Odeon Smile CD has been circulating since 1983, a rough edit. It is not, I repeat, NOT a Smile recording. Tracking sessions were in November 1967 during Wild Honey sessions, sweetening and vocal overdubs in March-April 1968 during Friends. Then several overdubs in 1979 for possible inclusion on Keepin' The Summer Alive.

To further clarify, the edit wasn't contemporary, nor performed by anyone in the BB fold.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »

Were there vocal or instrumental overdubs made for CWTL in 1979? Are they making the rounds?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »

Were there vocal or instrumental overdubs made for CWTL in 1979? Are they making the rounds?

There was an instrumental overdub session February 11th, 1980 at Rumbo Recorders, featuring several "Crew" members. Not booted, as far as I know.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »

That's nowhere near as bad as Brian on, I believe, American Bandstand in 1988 singing Night Time standing alone with a microphone doing a frightening swagger of a dance.

Yep, this is a shocker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfwkkm-GQI

The crime repeated here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNACeq9hV7w

And this is really no better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_MeEmJLGVA&feature=related

Some people have said that Brian's first solo album would have been more successful if it had had more publicity but sometimes less is more...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2010, 09:31:19 AM »

Dear God, those were painful to watch.  Brian should never be without an instrument on stage, and most certainly should never try to dance.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »

Is there a list anywhere of Beach Boys songs grouped into time signatures? For whatever reason I have it in my head that the BBs under Brian's direction did not utilise 4/4 much but I'm not good at music theory so I can't simply count this off for myself (and anyway, it'd be a lot of counting...) so if such a list existed that'd be quite helpful! Thanks in advance. Smiley
Jason
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »

The band in general didn't use 4/4. Dennis was quite fond of 7/8.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2010, 11:52:49 AM »

Dear God, those were painful to watch.  Brian should never be without an instrument on stage, and most certainly should never try to dance.

Not quite as painful as I expected, uncomfortable certainly but once Brian is behind a piano his is much more comfortable, that first performace just reinforces with me that Brian holds Mike Love in high status as a live frontman and mimics what Mike does, he just totally lacks the confidence and swagger of the Lovester so can't pull it off without looking so, so, so ... well, just so............ I recall when Brian first started touring back in 1999/2000 a lot of people were critical of his hand movements and yet when you go back and look at some of that early 60s footage many of those hand movements were the same as Mike Love used on stage.

Oh yeah, leather pants should be eternally banned!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »

Oh yeah, leather pants should be eternally banned!

I would've loved to have seen the leathered Brian grab the mic and start shouting, "Five to one, baby, one in five, no one here gets out alive...."

Anyway, there are a couple of videos around of Carl Wilson during his solo excursion, sans guitar, specifically singing "What You Do To Me". He was no Mick Jagger, either.... police
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2010, 12:33:41 PM »

Um...WHAT?!?

I assume this is a joke...if you look up "quarter note drumming" in wikipedia, there's a picture of Dennis Wilson there...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »

This is also asserted in the song entry for "You're So Good To Me" -- that an unadulterated 4/4 beat is peculiar for the BBs -- on the surfermoon.com song archive. However, what I'd like to know is if there exists a list anywhere that groups BB/solo songs by time signature for ease of reference. For some more context about why I'm curious, if anyone cares: I was discussing how rare it is for Beach Boys songs to be in 4/4 time (because I had read that it was the case, not because I am any good at deciphering which songs are in 4/4 vs. 12/8 or 3/4 and so on). I played a couple songs for her and she claimed a majority of them were in 4/4. Obviously I am in no position to doubt her greatly because I know no music theory but I am wary since from what I understand this is simply not the case. Did I just pick ones that were (e.g. an assortment from Pet Sounds including "God Only Knows," "Hang On To Your Ego," and "Wouldn't It Be Nice," as well as "Surfer Girl," "Friends," "All Dressed Up For School," "In The Back Of My Mind," "California Saga: Big Sur," etc.), or is she rusty in her theory and couldn't grasp the true signatures?

I'm sorry if my question is insufferably base, by the way! I know it is at least very insignificant!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »

There is no such archive for time signatures, as far as I know, but it does make for interesting discussion (at least to the music geeks on here).  Brian's songs in the early days used a lot of 6/8 ("Surfer Girl," "Warmth of the Sun," "Girls on the Beach," "In the Back of My Mind," to name a few), most likely a biproduct of growing up listening to doo-wop. 

That being said, Brian used a lot of "straight" 4/4 or 2/4 signatures too.  The thing is though, he used so many varying rhythms that the songs didn't all sound alike.  Something like "You're So Good To Me" isn't in a rare time signature for Brian, but it stands out because he had rarely used such a straight beat before that...he used that rhythm a few more times on the Summer Days album ("California Girls," "Let Him Run Wild"), and later on Pet Sounds ("God Only Knows").
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »

Was all of BWPS released as instrumental versions?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »

Don't take time signature for rhythmic pattern. "You're so good..." is in 4/4 just like "Surfin USA", "Kokomo", "She Knows Me too Well", "ding Dang" and about 85 - 90% of the BBs catalogue.

BTW, "Surfer Girl" is a 12/8, not 6/8.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »

There was an instrumental overdub session February 11th, 1980 at Rumbo Recorders, featuring several "Crew" members. Not booted, as far as I know.
Thanks, Andrew. Wonder what the overdubs were. The original track isn't over produced, but not sparse either.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »

BTW, "Surfer Girl" is a 12/8, not 6/8.

Really?  I'm not big on theory, so I don't quite understand the difference. 
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2010, 01:25:58 PM »

Do outtakes from the "Summer In Paradise" sessions exist or did they only record the songs that are on the album?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx