gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399233 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »

I snuck this in the Knebworth thread but have had no answer. Wondering if anyone knows where it came from please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoX1SmknVDs
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »

I snuck this in the Knebworth thread but have had no answer. Wondering if anyone knows where it came from please?

20/20 (or a similar US TV program) aired a profile on the BB's upcoming 20th anniversary year. That's what this footage is from. The entire show has circulated among collectors for decades.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »

"...because we're so good!"

Gotta love that guy.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:54 AM »

On another Youtube clip Al and Bruce talk about recording a live album in Cleveland in 1982. Did this recording take place and, if so, why wasn't it released?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »

On another Youtube clip Al and Bruce talk about recording a live album in Cleveland in 1982. Did this recording take place and, if so, why wasn't it released?

One song did - "Runaway", on the 1986 Sunkist album.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »

Sunkist album?? Shocked Shocked

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »

Sunkist album?? Shocked Shocked

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »

Sunkist album.  Grin

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://991.com/newgallery/Beach-Boys-25-Years-Of-Good-356798.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.musicstack.com/album/beach_boys/25_years_of_good_vibrations&usg=__Rekz1INxBwujEmHl4E5Lzzj4tHE=&h=465&w=450&sz=40&hl=en&start=8&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=WsQ7evHSlioHRM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Beach%2BBoys%2522%2B%252BSunkist%2B%252Balbum%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1%26newwindow%3D1

Side 1
1. Rock 'N' Roll To The Rescue
2. California Dreamin'
3. Runaway
4. California Girls
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice

Side 2
1. Good Vibrations
2. Fun, Fun, Fun
3. Getcha Back
4. Beach Boys Medley.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:59:06 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »

That infamous medley...gotta love Stars On 45!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 12:14:15 PM »

That infamous medley...gotta love Stars On 45!!
About that medley: I've never understood why they bothered to add (or rather the early 80s equivalent to copy/paste) extra handclaps to the portion of "I Get Around". Granted, a lot more could be questioned regarding the medley.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLx5Y5zRww

Al wearing white shorts and shoes with black socks. Was he single then or did his wife just want him to look like a dork?

Did anyone on stage or in the organization not have a....eh....queer eye to offer some advice?

In Al's defense (which I am not sure is totally possible in this case), I think he is wearing red socks to match his red shirt.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »

my dear lord.
Jason
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »

The best part was that Sunkist was the official sponsor of one of the 1986 tours!

"Ladies and gentlemen, SUNKIST proudly presents from Southern California: America's Band, THE BEACH BOYS!" - Audio proof from a York, PA show in 1986.

Oh, you'd BETTER believe it. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:52:20 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »

20/20 (or a similar US TV program) aired a profile on the BB's upcoming 20th anniversary year. That's what this footage is from. The entire show has circulated among collectors for decades.

Thanks Jon.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »

1967-74 Brian and Al are easily confused but Brian stops mid song and says I don't want to sing this sh-t.
If you listen closely, Brian(?) says "keep going Al".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 10:34:43 PM »

1967-74 Brian and Al are easily confused but Brian stops mid song and says I don't want to sing this sh-t.
If you listen closely, Brian(?) says "keep going Al".

"Keep going, man."

Just Brian saying it during his vocal take.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »

The best part was that Sunkist was the official sponsor of one of the 1986 tours!

"Ladies and gentlemen, SUNKIST proudly presents from Southern California: America's Band, THE BEACH BOYS!" - Audio proof from a York, PA show in 1986.

Somewhere in my collection I have a Sunkist T.V. commercial with a rip off band doing a badly reworked version of Good Vibrations. I can't figure out if they are being serious, or doing a parody.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »

so..... where can I hear the tune "Walkin"Huh
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »

Somewhere in my collection I have a Sunkist T.V. commercial with a rip off band doing a badly reworked version of Good Vibrations. I can't figure out if they are being serious, or doing a parody.

I feel like it's on a BB/BW doc....I'm thinking the A&E Bio to Brian Wilson.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »

I feel like it's on a BB/BW doc....I'm thinking the A&E Bio to Brian Wilson.
Gym Class Heroes did yet another crappy cover of it for a new Sunkist commercial a couple years ago.

Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

Awesome, this is a good thread. On the That's Not Me session highlights from the Pet Sounds box, what are they singing in the background towards the end of the track? I can't make out what they're saying.
Is that where they put the background vocals from I Just Wasnt Made...? I think those are Spanish lyrics, and there was a recent thread about those. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7879.0.html

Aaand that's probably why I couldn't understand it Tongue Thanks for bringing the thread to my attention, I don't remember seeing it before.

On the cover of the new(ish, from last year) Capitol Pet Sounds vinyl reissues, why are Sloop John B. and Caroline No taken out of the regular order of the track listing and placed at the top? They're also in white while the rest are in yellow. Not that it matters at all, I'm just curious as to why they've been put in front.
Jason
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »

That's how they appeared on the original 1966 covers.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »

And I think the reasoning for that was that they were the two singles released prior to the album's release.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »

I have a question about I Just Wasn't Made For These Times(the song). It's probably something that a lot of people here know, but it's just something that has bugged me. When Brian sings "sometimes I feel very sad", what is Mike(?) singing at the same time underneath Brian? I've never been able to make it out.

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »

Aren't those vocals the Spanish lyrics Brian forgot about?

"O cuándo seré... un dia seré..."

They mean 'Oh, when will I be...? One day I will be...?'

Brian was using Spanish during the recording of Pet Sounds for some reason... during the tracking of one song, I can't remember which, he calls for 'Take Eight... Ocho... Eight'. Didn't he learn some at school or something?

Anyway, the vocals are there in IJWMFTT. But by the time the Pet Sounds box set and stereo mix was released in 1996 he'd forgotten all about them. If I remember the story correctly, someone asked him why he'd put Spanish BVs on that track, and he said 'WHAT Spanish vocals? There aren't any!' So they played him the isolated vocals and he was absolutely, completely surprised. I seem to recall he said something like 'Well I'll be damned'.

Such a memory loss isn't all that amazing. I mean, it's incredible that Brian even knows who he is when you consider all the drugs he took. And of course, although I remember that this story is true and that I read it somewhere, *I* can't remember where... and that's only 13.5 years ago. And I haven't taken a fraction of the drugs Brian did through the years... Wink

MattB
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx