gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399159 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »

I've had a few dozen thoughts/questions that are pretty minor and probably don't deserve their own thread. Thus, I'd like to ask a couple of them here and I encourage others to do the same.

Question 1: There's a song that starts with, "My folks have a friend who knows an old lady." It's a song about some old lady's car being stolen or something. It's a Brian vocal, he complains that he can't sing the song throughout (which is actually pretty amusing).

I've seen at least three different titles given for it - what is the proper title and what era is it?

Also, anyone else think the track for this song sounds a whole hell of a lot like "Morning Beat"?

Question 2: Do Carl or Dennis' lead vocals still exist anywhere for "Sail On Sailor"? Anyone here heard them - do you feel their vocals are worthy of release some day, or are they just scratch takes?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »

The song referenced in Question 1 is entitled Walkin', recorded initially in 1968 during the tail end of the Friends period, and worked on a bit more during the sessions for the "last Capitol album". It was on a compilation tape named "Sun Flower" given to Warner Bros. when Mo Ostin signed the group in 1969. If it was seriously considered for the actual Sunflower album beyond its appearance on the aforementioned reel, it's doubtful. The track as it exists features incomplete vocals and a very dejected lead from Brian - note his "I don't wanna sing this" when the drums come in at the beginning.

Morning Beat does seem to take part of its verse melody from Walkin'. On a related note, the "mow mamayama glory hallejulah" refrain is a slightly revised riff that Brian was working on in 1975-76 called Clangin', or simply Clang as Brian referred to it in a 1976 interview.

Question 2 - Steve Desper reminisced on here a while back that he produced some sessions for Sail On Sailor in 1971, apparently it was sung by Carl. Dennis' vocals were initially going to be on the Holland cut, but apparently he couldn't hack it, hence Blondie's lead. I don't recall if the track still exists. Certainly, I've never heard them. Of course, the timeline is a bit skewed since the famous "hypnotize me, Van Dyke" cassette tape was from sometime in 1972. Who knows? Ask Brian on the blueboard. Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »

The song referenced in Question 1 is entitled Walkin', recorded initially in 1968 during the tail end of the Friends period, and worked on a bit more during the sessions for the "last Capitol album". It was on a compilation tape named "Sun Flower" given to Warner Bros. when Mo Ostin signed the group in 1969. If it was seriously considered for the actual Sunflower album beyond its appearance on the aforementioned reel, it's doubtful. The track as it exists features incomplete vocals and a very dejected lead from Brian - note his "I don't wanna sing this" when the drums come in at the beginning.

Morning Beat does seem to take part of its verse melody from Walkin'. On a related note, the "mow mamayama glory hallejulah" refrain is a slightly revised riff that Brian was working on in 1975-76 called Clangin', or simply Clang as Brian referred to it in a 1976 interview.

Question 2 - Steve Desper reminisced on here a while back that he produced some sessions for Sail On Sailor in 1971, apparently it was sung by Carl. Dennis' vocals were initially going to be on the Holland cut, but apparently he couldn't hack it, hence Blondie's lead. I don't recall if the track still exists. Certainly, I've never heard them. Of course, the timeline is a bit skewed since the famous "hypnotize me, Van Dyke" cassette tape was from sometime in 1972. Who knows? Ask Brian on the blueboard. Smiley

Thanks a lot! Am attempting to sort rarities by era, this helps.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »

I wonder if Walkin was attempted again by Brian somtime during the Sunflower period. It's clear he doesn't like the song, but at the same time I like the vocal he partially laid down. I only ask this because I wouldn't think it would be on the reel unfinished.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »

Yeah, the Walkin' - Morning Beat connection is an interesting one. You can sing the verses of Morning Beat to the verse of Walkin' -- but the lines scan differently (two lines of MB to one line of Walkin), and there's no chorus in Walkin'. Like a few other bits of TLOS, it seems like Brian took a riff / melody fragment from the past and worked it into something different. You can see this in Goin' Home -- where he takes the first two lines of a song he wrote with Paley and transforms it into a rockin' blues tune -- or "Message Man," which takes its opening six-note phrase from "Marketplace" and then moves in a peculiarly BW direction.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »

Dennis' vocals were initially going to be on the Holland cut, but apparently he couldn't hack it, hence Blondie's lead. I don't recall if the track still exists.
Blondie's recollection isn't exactly that Dennis "couldn't hack it"...but that DW became impatient with the length of the session because he had a new board, it was getting late, and he really wanted to go surfing, he split mid-sesion and Carl tossed the lead to Blondie. Dennis' vocal attempt was wiped apparently.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLx5Y5zRww

Al wearing white shorts and shoes with black socks. Was he single then or did his wife just want him to look like a dork?

Did anyone on stage or in the organization not have a....eh....queer eye to offer some advice?
Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »

Al wearing white shorts and shoes with black socks. Was he single then or did his wife just want him to look like a dork?

No one but Al Jardine is supposed to understand Al Jardine's wardrobe choices.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »

If you're curious about "Queer Eye" type issues, check out my new, self-indulgent thread.
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »

Awesome, this is a good thread. On the That's Not Me session highlights from the Pet Sounds box, what are they singing in the background towards the end of the track? I can't make out what they're saying.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLx5Y5zRww

Did anyone on stage or in the organization not have a....eh....queer eye to offer some advice?

Don't worry .... Brian did EVERYTHING humanly possibly to detract from Al's socks ....

... also if anybody EVER comes on this website again to complain about Brian just sitting behind his keyboards they should be forced to watch that clip!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »

I always thought Al sang Walkin'.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »

From Jay:  "I always thought Al sang Walkin'. "

He did.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »

1967-74 Brian and Al are easily confused but Brian stops mid song and says I don't want to sing this sh-t.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:28 PM »

Yeah, pretty clearly Brian .

He seems to really get into it with the, "Keep going, man," but then stops with the, "f***, I can't sing this bitch." A pretty funny listen, as is the beginning of the song with Brian making fun of his own vocal tone and again saying that he does not want to sing the song.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »

Another inconsequential question but in interviews in 1981 Mike talked about still writing songs with Brian and Brian having written one called Sweetie. Have many bootlegs emerged of songs recorded by the band in the year or two following KTSA? And is the aforementioned song any good?
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 07:43:12 AM »

I have one! 

I've seen lots of references to the misprinting of "don't break down" instead of "don't back down" on the cover of the first pressing of All Summer Long, but I'm curious how many copies were printed?  Are we talking like, a "Butcher Cover" sort of misprint, where like ten albums went out, or did they make a whole bunch of them?  I just found a copy! :-) and so I was wondering... 

also, what ratio of mono to stereo albums, in general, went out for the Beach Boys pre-pet sounds...I know the stereo was fake as often as not, but ignoring that, was it half and half?  3/4 stereo 1/4 mono? 

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 07:48:24 AM »

Awesome, this is a good thread. On the That's Not Me session highlights from the Pet Sounds box, what are they singing in the background towards the end of the track? I can't make out what they're saying.
Is that where they put the background vocals from I Just Wasnt Made...? I think those are Spanish lyrics, and there was a recent thread about those. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7879.0.html

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

Another inconsequential question but in interviews in 1981 Mike talked about still writing songs with Brian and Brian having written one called Sweetie. Have many bootlegs emerged of songs recorded by the band in the year or two following KTSA? And is the aforementioned song any good?

I may be wrong about this, but I think "Sweetie" became "Love Ya" on the SWEET INSANITY album. Of course, this still wasn't officially released so there's a chance Brian may revisit it again in the future.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »

Sweetie did become Love Ya -- which became Sweetie again during the sessions for Carnie and Wendy's album in 96-97. Their version was never released either.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »

Sweetie did become Love Ya -- which became Sweetie again during the sessions for Carnie and Wendy's album in 96-97. Their version was never released either.

Aha! We can probably start placing bets that some semblance of "Sweetie" will show up on PLEASURE ISLAND...if that album ever comes to fruition.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 08:40:56 AM »

I have one! 

I've seen lots of references to the misprinting of "don't break down" instead of "don't back down" on the cover of the first pressing of All Summer Long, but I'm curious how many copies were printed?  Are we talking like, a "Butcher Cover" sort of misprint, where like ten albums went out, or did they make a whole bunch of them?  I just found a copy! :-) and so I was wondering... 

also, what ratio of mono to stereo albums, in general, went out for the Beach Boys pre-pet sounds...I know the stereo was fake as often as not, but ignoring that, was it half and half?  3/4 stereo 1/4 mono? 

Re don't Break Down listed on the cover:  I don't know how many copies were printed.  It is certainly not Butcher cover rarity..at least in terms of  value.  I have a copy bought used many years ago.  I looked  it up in a Goldmine or similar catalogue.  It is worth a few dollars more...maybe 10-15 bucks....more than a corrected cover from roughly the same era.  But never the less, a neat piece if you are a BB collector.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »

They actually did some recording in '80-81 and laid down about half a dozen songs, "Sweetie" being one of them.  None of them have been bootlegged to my knowledge, but I could be wrong about that.  I think that "Be My Baby" from Mike's solo album was one of these tracks.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 08:56:13 AM »

I have one! 

Don't Break Down was printed on the front cover of the entire first pressing of the ASL LP. This means there were hundreds of thousands printed. Not a very rare rarity. The second printing corrected it.
Jason
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 09:36:51 AM »

They actually did some recording in '80-81 and laid down about half a dozen songs, "Sweetie" being one of them.  None of them have been bootlegged to my knowledge, but I could be wrong about that.  I think that "Be My Baby" from Mike's solo album was one of these tracks.

Brian and Michael did a few sessions at Michael's home studio in '80, then Brian was recording a lot in '81. Sweetie is booted in piano/vocal form, as are two other 1981 Brian songs, Reins and Walking On Water.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx