gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399234 times)
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »

I have to correct myself.  It's Ronnie Spector who is on Letterman tonight and not Darlene Love.  Sorry
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 15, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »

I have to correct myself.  It's Ronnie Spector who is on Letterman tonight and not Darlene Love.  Sorry

and she was worse than bad

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 22, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »

Two Questions:

1) Can we sticky this thread so we don't have to search allover to ask an insignificant question?

2) I was listening to what I am thinking is a different mix of Bells of Christmas (no vocals on the opening part); as the ending vocals fade out (aaaaaahhhh), I hear someone simply direct and say: "ah" as in directing the guys towards the next vocal, who is it?

I was thinking maybe Al.

Anyone else hear this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 22, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

and she was worse than bad

I thought she was fine.
Jason
« Reply #979 on: December 22, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »

1) Can we sticky this thread so we don't have to search allover to ask an insignificant question?

Considering people love to complain about sticky threads knocking new threads off the main page after a day or two, it won't be me doing it, that's for sure.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 22, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »

If "Winter Symphony" wasn't meant to turn up on the 1977 Christmas album, what do we know about the original sessions? Some website I've never heard of until now mentioned that "an instrumental track from the same year [1974] became 'Winter Symphony'", and the sessions which ostensibly turned whatever it was before into a Christmas some occurred on November 15, 21 and 22, 1977. Anyone know a more perspicuous lineage for that backing track?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 22, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »

Considering people love to complain about sticky threads knocking new threads off the main page after a day or two, it won't be me doing it, that's for sure.

sorry

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 23, 2010, 04:34:48 AM »

Why do i always think of awesome questions for this thread during the night/when i'm in the shower/out and about and always forget them by the time it comes to post them here?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: December 23, 2010, 06:39:09 AM »

Why do i always think of awesome questions for this thread during the night/when i'm in the shower/out and about and always forget them by the time it comes to post them here?

It's called early onset amnesia: welcome to the club.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 23, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »

I have the best ideas when I'm sloshed. In fact, several times in my student days I solved the riddle of the Universe in this condition. Thing is: when I woke up, I hadn't got a clue anymore.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #985 on: December 23, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »

I have the best ideas when I'm sloshed. In fact, several times in my student days I solved the riddle of the Universe in this condition. Thing is: when I woke up, I hadn't got a clue anymore.

Totally OT, but I can't pass up the opening.  There's a story that, back in the early 20th century, there was a man who, every time he indulged in laughing gas, did indeed grasp the secret of the cosmos, but every time he sobered up, forgot it. Finally, one day, as he was slipping under, he managed to scribble down his revelation and on reawakening, hastily looked at what he'd written. Which was:

"A smell of petroleum prevails throughout."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:32:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 23, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »

i know exactly what you mean. i smoked a little bit last night (haven't for a long time), so I try listening to some good music to enjoy....somehow Al Jardine's Christmas Time is Here Again. I almost hit forward on my pod, then I think, I'm gonna figure this song out. Then I got thinking about if all the Christmas stuff was recorded before the actual MIU stuff was and why MIU sounds better than the Christmas stuff and yada yada....so I wasted my high on thinking about MIU. LMAO

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »

Totally OT, but I can't pass up the opening.  There's a story that, back in the early 20th century, there was a man who, every time he indulged in laughing gas, did indeed grasp the secret of the cosmos, but every time he sobered up, forgot it. Finally, one day, as he was slipping under, he managed to scribble down his revelation and on reawakening, hastily looked at what he'd written. Which was:

"A smell of petroleum prevails throughout."

Somewhat prescient for the beginning of the century....  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »

i know exactly what you mean. i smoked a little bit last night (haven't for a long time), so I try listening to some good music to enjoy....somehow Al Jardine's Christmas Time is Here Again. I almost hit forward on my pod, then I think, I'm gonna figure this song out. Then I got thinking about if all the Christmas stuff was recorded before the actual MIU stuff was and why MIU sounds better than the Christmas stuff and yada yada....so I wasted my high on thinking about MIU. LMAO

You could have saved yourself the anguish by just checking out the session dates on 10452, which shows that the Xmas tracks and the MIU were recorded in tandem.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 24, 2010, 12:36:40 AM »

You could have saved yourself the anguish by just checking out the session dates on 10452, which shows that the Xmas tracks and the MIU were recorded in tandem.  Grin

well, i was listening in my car. so i try to imagine these type of things

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Paulos
« Reply #990 on: December 29, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

well, i was listening in my car. so i try to imagine these type of things

Hold on a moment, you were operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs?  Shocked Shocked Shocked
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 29, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »

It's America isn't it?  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 02, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »

I finally remembered two of the things I wanted to ask!

1) are some of Al's vocals on In Concert sped up? You Still Believe In Me sounds like it especially, the organs 'wibble' like the tape's being manipulated and it's in C, as opposed to it's original key of B, which they didn't change when playing it live previously?

2) Were any other tapes for famous songs lost in the massive clearout that robbed us of the GV vocal tapes? I've only heard that story in relation to that song....

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »

1) are some of Al's vocals on In Concert sped up? You Still Believe In Me sounds like it especially, the organs 'wibble' like the tape's being manipulated and it's in C, as opposed to it's original key of B, which they didn't change when playing it live previously?

2) Were any other tapes for famous songs lost in the massive clearout that robbed us of the GV vocal tapes? I've only heard that story in relation to that song....

I can just hear the people doing the tape clear out:  "I'm picking up Good Vibrations, I'm putting them in my car"

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #994 on: January 02, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »

I can just hear the people doing the tape clear out:  "I'm picking up Good Vibrations, I'm putting them in my car"

Whole bunch of Byrds multitracks as well, apparently. Basically, if the tapes were stored at Columbia, they were gonners.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 02, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »

Whole bunch of Byrds multitracks as well, apparently. Basically, if the tapes were stored at Columbia, they were gonners.

SO: my brain is like the spaghetti strainer. Can someone refresh my memory?  were the tapes thrown out or did someone take them?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: January 02, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »

SO: my brain is like the spaghetti strainer. Can someone refresh my memory?  were the tapes thrown out or did someone take them?

According to Bruce, the tapes were stored in what used to be the balcony of the theatre the studio was before it was, er, a studio, and in spring 1967, they just threw a whole load of them in the dumpster.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 02, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

Uh, yeah, that's going to make it a bit tougher. Anyone know what landfill they were using at the time?  It wasn't Scranton, was it?  

I can just hear the people doing the tape clear out:  "I'm picking up Good Vibrations, I'm putting them in my car"

SO: my brain is like the spaghetti strainer. Can someone refresh my memory?  were the tapes thrown out or did someone take them?

According to Bruce, the tapes were stored in what used to be the balcony of the theatre the studio was before it was, er, a studio, and in spring 1967, they just threw a whole load of them in the dumpster.

That makes it a bit tougher.. The landfill they were using then wasn't Scranton, was it? 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:31:14 PM by bgas » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 02, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »

Philistines! Angry

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #999 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »

Uh, yeah, that's going to make it a bit tougher. Anyone know what landfill they were using at the time?  It wasn't Scranton, was it?  

I can just hear the people doing the tape clear out:  "I'm picking up Good Vibrations, I'm putting them in my car"

SO: my brain is like the spaghetti strainer. Can someone refresh my memory?  were the tapes thrown out or did someone take them?

That makes it a bit tougher.. The landfill they were using then wasn't Scranton, was it? 

Lessee... Columbia Studio is in California... Scranton in in Pennsylvania... doubt it somehow.  Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx