gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 238 239 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399556 times)
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: September 23, 2015, 07:21:53 AM »

I may have asked this question before but don't remember getting an answer....

Is there a version of 'Lay Down Burden' that wasn't on Imagination around anywhere? Demo, acoustic, even whistled would be better than the album version. I love the song and want to put it on compilations etc. but the production just grates me so much.....

There's a good version on the Brian Wilson - Live at the Roxy album. 

Thank you, I think I have that somewhere...will check out  Listening

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
KDS
« Reply #5826 on: September 23, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »

Is there a version of 'Lay Down Burden' that wasn't on Imagination around anywhere? Demo, acoustic, even whistled would be better than the album version. I love the song and want to put it on compilations etc. but the production just grates me so much.....

Thank you, I think I have that somewhere...will check out  Listening

No problem.  I think that's a really good live album.  I'm hoping for a live album to document the NPP Tour.  Especially, if its one of the shows where Surf's Up was performed. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: September 23, 2015, 07:30:02 AM »

In 1998, Brian did a TNN Front Row Center TV show with Deanna Carter and performed "Lay Down Burden". As I recall it was pretty good version.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: September 23, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »

Has Bruce written a new song since 92?
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: September 23, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »

So, I've always liked those photos from '66 with the BB (with Brian) in the striped shirts. I know one includes the guys sitting on the couch, with Brian slouched. Does anyone know who took them and when were they taken?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: September 25, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »

I remember most clearly listening in the dark (with held breath) to the very first UK broadcast of  "Good Vibrations" in late 1966, presumably October. I must have noted it in my diary that day. Unfortunately in a rash move I destroyed everything from those years, drawings, compositions----and diaries.

Does anyone out there know the exact day this happened? Or at least point me in some useful direction? (I couldn't find anything about it at AGD's Bellagio site.) Much appreciated.         

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: September 25, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »

I remember most clearly listening in the dark (with held breath) to the very first UK broadcast of  "Good Vibrations" in late 1966, presumably October. I must have noted it in my diary that day. Unfortunately in a rash move I destroyed everything from those years, drawings, compositions----and diaries.

Does anyone out there know the exact day this happened? Or at least point me in some useful direction? (I couldn't find anything about it at AGD's Bellagio site.) Much appreciated.         

HOW in the world would any of us know the exact day you destroyed all your stuff??

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: September 25, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »

I remember most clearly listening in the dark (with held breath) to the in late 1966, presumably October. I must have noted it in my diary that day. Unfortunately in a rash move I destroyed everything from those years, drawings, compositions----and diaries.

HOW in the world would any of us know the exact day you destroyed all your stuff??

There's no harm in asking, is there? Then at least I could start counting backwards and maybe locate the day i heard the very first UK broadcast of  "Good Vibrations". 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: September 25, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »

I remember most clearly listening in the dark (with held breath) to the in late 1966, presumably October. I must have noted it in my diary that day. Unfortunately in a rash move I destroyed everything from those years, drawings, compositions----and diaries.

There's no harm in asking, is there? Then at least I could start counting backwards and maybe locate the day i heard the very first UK broadcast of  "Good Vibrations". 

Could not have been earlier than Oct. 10th, since that's the release date.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: September 26, 2015, 03:47:17 AM »

This was the first time anyone in the UK (except a few insiders) had ever heard "GV" so I'm pretty sure it was before the release date.

Someone somewhere must have this information, surely----someone who didn't impulsively throw away their old diaries. Grin     

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: September 28, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »

Anyone shed light on this? Another out of copyright grey area issue?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014YP1I0M

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5836 on: September 28, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »

That may be what they're going for, some sort of public domain situation.

But the original album artwork, and certainly Capitol's logo, are things that a "PD" publisher certainly cannot use as far as I know.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: September 28, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »

But the original album artwork, and certainly Capitol's logo, are things that a "PD" publisher certainly cannot use as far as I know.

Yup, agreed - I cannot make out what part of the red panel, bottom left says - "this is a HD XXXX CD …" etc. surely this kind of thing - likely a needle drop - wouldn't be an HD CD?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: September 28, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »

Yup, agreed - I cannot make out what part of the red panel, bottom left says - "this is a HD XXXX CD …" etc. surely this kind of thing - likely a needle drop - wouldn't be an HD CD?
It's copyright in the EU Universal Music 2015....
>>THIS IS A HD RED CD WITH VINYL LP GROOVE DESIGN <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: September 28, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »

Many thanks Chris… I guess this one is legit then. Which makes it legit Christmas album reissue #25,012, by my counting…!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5840 on: September 29, 2015, 01:47:54 AM »

This was the first time anyone in the UK (except a few insiders) had ever heard "GV" so I'm pretty sure it was before the release date.

Someone somewhere must have this information, surely----someone who didn't impulsively throw away their old diaries. Grin     

Possibly one or more of the pirates got an advance copy ? For some reason, this is ringing a small, muffled bell...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: October 01, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

I'm reposting because my question probably won't get answered because of the Good Vibes discussion, but I've always liked those photos from '66 with the BB (with Brian) in the striped shirts. I know one includes the guys sitting on the couch, with Brian slouched. I'm sure there are more photos from these photo sessions. Does anyone know who took them and when were they taken?
shebelongs
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: October 03, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »

I'm sure the vocal duties have been discussed to death, but I'm wondering, who sings (the 'nah nah nah') during the fadeout/end of 'Forever'? Is it Brian? There's a few specific, vague vocal bits like that where I can't tell who is who..
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: October 03, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »

I'm sure the vocal duties have been discussed to death, but I'm wondering, who sings (the 'nah nah nah') during the fadeout/end of 'Forever'? Is it Brian? There's a few specific, vague vocal bits like that where I can't tell who is who..

It is indeed Brian:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.msg71616.html#msg71616

shebelongs
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: October 03, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »

It is indeed Brian:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.msg71616.html#msg71616
You're my savior! Thank you! Not sure what took me so long to join this site  Cheesy
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: October 04, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »

shebelongs, funny you should ask that question... I was wondering that yesterday when I was listening to it.  Definitely the best part of the song too.   Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5846 on: October 04, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

There's a vocals only version on Hawthorne, CA that confirms your supposition.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: October 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM »

Back in the early 90's Brian told me that his "nah nah nah nah nah" vocals at the end of Forever were not pre-planned. He said the inspiration just suddenly hit him and he started singing that part.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: October 04, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »

You're my savior! Thank you! Not sure what took me so long to join this site  Cheesy

Probably the same thing that stopped me from joining long before I finally did.

Sheer laziness.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: October 05, 2015, 04:31:25 AM »

Probably the same thing that stopped me from joining long before I finally did.

Sheer laziness.

My own reason for waiting was because this place seemed a bit of a closed shop----many posters clearly had known each other for years, probably decades----and the fact that everyone was so incredibly knowledgeable! That's something that awes me to this day. Which is why it's great to see new posters who (I assume) are at an earlier stage of getting acquainted with the Boys' music. :=)   

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 238 239 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx