gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:06:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1410442 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5700 on: August 05, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »

Do we have or know of any recorded video or audio of the BB in concert with Brian in the 90's?

Technically the 90s: A more or less (as I recall, haven’t watched it years) complete audience-shot video of the July 4, 1990 Cape Cod show with Brian is out there. He doesn’t do a lot (the usual opening to “Sloop John B”, bridge on “Surfer Girl”), but I think he’s on stage for most or all of the show. The show is also Jeff Foskett’s last show with the touring band prior to joining Brian in 1999.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: August 05, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »

I think it's cool and perhaps ironic, if you choose to look at it that way (and I do), that in "Love & Mercy" we have both Paul Dano & John Cusack to portray Brian.

Ironic (or not) because of the art imitates life in a way. It took both Paul McCartney & John Lennon to equal Brian Wilson, in my opinion.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »

Columbia House Owner Files For Bankruptcy

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/columbia-house-owner-files-for-bankruptcy/ar-BBlCRac

I'm not linking for the article itself.  Just pointing out the two pictures.  The top one is a real ad, and one of the 8 tracks is labled "Beach Boys Endless Summer".
The bottom one is fake and includes "Beach Boys Broke Again".

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: August 11, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »

Can someone point me in the direction to where I can download a good quality version of Somewhere Near Japan?  The videos on YouTube don't seem to have very good audio quality. 
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: August 11, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »

Can someone point me in the direction to where I can download a good quality version of Somewhere Near Japan?  The videos on YouTube don't seem to have very good audio quality. 

Honestly, I have no idea. The single version is different than the album version. The album version is a lot easier to obtain I imagine.  There's a video of the single edit on YouTube that is the best quality I've heard.  I bet someone out there has the cd single.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: August 12, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »

Maybe someone already asked this...but what was Jon Bon Jovi's actual involvement in Summer's Gone? Did he write lyrics, music, production...played sth?

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:20 AM »

From an old thread on the subject:

"Summer's Gone," the final track on "Radio," was finished with the help of Jon Bon Jovi. " 'Summer's Gone' was something we wrote one verse to and then Jon Bon Jovi came by the studio one day and he called it Brian's 'My Way,' " Thomas said. "Jon collaborated with us a little on it, changing the melody in a couple of spots. He wrote some really nice verses that kind of tied it all in together. We definitely appreciated the contribution because it took it from one great verse to one great song."

The plan, Thomas said, is to finish the suite and release it. But whether it comes out as a Beach Boys record or a solo album remains to be seen.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/24/the-beach-boys-are-making-radio-waves/

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »

hey you guys like my newest pin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5708 on: August 12, 2015, 11:33:48 AM »

Can someone point me in the direction to where I can download a good quality version of Somewhere Near Japan?  The videos on YouTube don't seem to have very good audio quality.  

Are we just talking about wanting the track, or the music video?

For the actual audio, if we’re talking just the standard version of “Somewhere Near Japan”, I would recommend just buying a used copy of the “Still Cruisin’” CD. That album was actually up on iTunes and Amazon for download purchase until not *that* long ago, certainly years after the CD went out of print. But if you need the audio, just buy a used copy of the CD. They’re as cheap as $4 on Amazon used, the song will sound better on the CD than either iTunes would have or the best YouTube download possibly could, and you’ll get at least a few other interesting BB tracks. Other than “Wipe Out”, I wouldn’t say anything else on the album is gawdawful.

I’m not a fan of the “single mix” of the song. It’s edited down, and the drums are kind of muted. It kind of just sounds like an “under-mixed” version of the song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: August 12, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »

Can someone point me in the direction to where I can download a good quality version of Somewhere Near Japan?  The videos on YouTube don't seem to have very good audio quality.  

Are we just talking about wanting the track, or the music video?

For the actual audio, if we’re talking just the standard version of “Somewhere Near Japan”, I would recommend just buying a used copy of the “Still Cruisin’” CD. That album was actually up on iTunes and Amazon for download purchase until not *that* long ago, certainly years after the CD went out of print. But if you need the audio, just buy a used copy of the CD. They’re as cheap as $4 on Amazon used, the song will sound better on the CD than either iTunes would have or the best YouTube download possibly could, and you’ll get at least a few other interesting BB tracks. Other than “Wipe Out”, I wouldn’t say anything else on the album is gawdawful.

I’m not a fan of the “single mix” of the song. It’s edited down, and the drums are kind of muted. It kind of just sounds like an “under-mixed” version of the song.

Just the track, although I guess I was really looking for the music video edit of the song.  The single edit is fine, too I guess.  The album version has a long fade out that I don't like and was trying to avoid if possible.  Still Cruisin' is an underrated album if you ask me.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: August 12, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »

didjatry these: 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rktmu

http://www.2kmusic.com/en/webvideo/thebeachboys/QGVK9zTYIlU/the-beach-boys-somewhere-near-japan-single-version-remix

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: August 12, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »

I did, but thanks.  I suppose I shouldn't really expect great audio quality from a TV video upload.    
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: August 12, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »

OK. Try these. They took a while to upload, so they may be slow to download. ( and I always have trouble figuring which button is the correct one at Sendspace)  

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lqeqs9

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iprrsb
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:14:01 PM by bgas » Logged

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: August 12, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »

OK. Try these. They took a while to upload, so they may be slow to download. ( and I always have trouble figuring which button is the correct one at Sendspace)  

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lqeqs9

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iprrsb

Very much appreciated!  Smiley
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: August 12, 2015, 05:23:56 PM »

From an old thread on the subject:

"Summer's Gone," the final track on "Radio," was finished with the help of Jon Bon Jovi. " 'Summer's Gone' was something we wrote one verse to and then Jon Bon Jovi came by the studio one day and he called it Brian's 'My Way,' " Thomas said. "Jon collaborated with us a little on it, changing the melody in a couple of spots. He wrote some really nice verses that kind of tied it all in together. We definitely appreciated the contribution because it took it from one great verse to one great song."

The plan, Thomas said, is to finish the suite and release it. But whether it comes out as a Beach Boys record or a solo album remains to be seen.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/24/the-beach-boys-are-making-radio-waves/

Thank you sir!

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: August 12, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »

There is something that I have always wondered about the Seattle 1983 footage. At the start of the film, Dennis can been seen walking up to the microphone and saying "Are you ready?". But the way he moves around is very strange. He moves with both of his arms hunched at a weird angle, and his chest is pushed out. He looks like he took a deep breath and was holding it. Did Dennis have some type of physical problems by that time?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: August 14, 2015, 09:20:32 PM »

Has the 2012 re-recording of 'Do it again" been made digitally available at all?
I have been listening to a crummy rip of the youtube video for the the last three years...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: August 15, 2015, 05:25:42 AM »

Has the 2012 re-recording of 'Do it again" been made digitally available at all?
I have been listening to a crummy rip of the youtube video for the the last three years...

It was an exclusive track on this Walmart compilation.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anniversary-Collection-ZinePak-Walmart-Exclusive/20678933

It was also a bonus track on Japanese editions of That's Why God Made the Radio.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: August 15, 2015, 05:30:21 AM »

There is something that I have always wondered about the Seattle 1983 footage. At the start of the film, Dennis can been seen walking up to the microphone and saying "Are you ready?". But the way he moves around is very strange. He moves with both of his arms hunched at a weird angle, and his chest is pushed out. He looks like he took a deep breath and was holding it. Did Dennis have some type of physical problems by that time?

Well he was a smoker, alcoholic, and drug addict- probably enough to f*ck up your body A LOT.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: August 15, 2015, 06:27:15 AM »

Here's something I've always wondered-

Could Bruce handle singing the falsetto parts today? He still does on Fun, Fun, Fun and God Only Knows (when Carl isn't on the screen)
)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: August 15, 2015, 06:33:50 AM »

He probably could but he'd most likely strain to hit the notes. His voice is much deeper than it used to be.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5721 on: August 15, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »

Well he was a smoker, alcoholic, and drug addict- probably enough to f*ck up your body A LOT.

And a shagger. He may have been exhausted.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: August 15, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »

And a shagger. He may have been exhausted.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: August 15, 2015, 10:25:49 AM »

Could Bruce handle singing thei falsetto parts today? He still does on Fun, Fun, Fun and God Only Knows (when Carl isn't on the screen)

http://youtu.be/L5b9mByFgO0

Suggests he can still cut it…

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: August 15, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »

Could Bruce handle singing thei falsetto parts today? He still does on Fun, Fun, Fun and God Only Knows (when Carl isn't on the screen)

http://youtu.be/L5b9mByFgO0

Suggests he can still cut it…

That's Jeff doubling him off stage

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx