gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 07:53:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Tug of Love" and "I'll Bet He's Nice"  (Read 2392 times)
Synth Wash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »

Hi SS board, thanks for taking my call. Long time listener, first time caller...

I just got the POB legacy edition and I noticed a really strong similarity between these two songs. I haven't seen these two compared anywhere else on the board though. Am I the only one?

"Holds and tickles and hugs out the night"
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »

Agree totally with this. When I first heard Tug Of Love it really reminded me of Brian's Love You stuff and i'll bet He's Nice was probably what I was thinking of, so I think you've hit the nail on the head there. i think it's as much an example of Dennis writing a Brian tune as anything he's ever done.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »

There is a similarity in composition, and they are both great, but the production of IBHN sounds really nerdy in comparison IMO...Tug Of Love is magical, and dreamy and blissful...IBHN sounds really dry, but in a totally good Love You kind of way. Two approaches, one sounds like great sex and scary drugs, the other sounds like uncomfortable sex and bad coke.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:32:29 PM »

I feel the pull anyways.  Cry
rogerlancelot
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »

Sorry. I had to add that the POB set came out shortly before my dad died. If you believe in ghosts, he was still hanging out with us for about another month. One day at my mom's place I put on "Farewell My Friend". We both cried and we never had any paranormal experiences after that. That was a very tough summer though. Dennis Wilson deserves a lot more respect than he gets credited for!
Synth Wash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »

There is a similarity in composition, and they are both great, but the production of IBHN sounds really nerdy in comparison IMO...Tug Of Love is magical, and dreamy and blissful...IBHN sounds really dry, but in a totally good Love You kind of way. Two approaches, one sounds like great sex and scary drugs, the other sounds like uncomfortable sex and bad coke.

Thanks Jon. It's funny you mention that metaphor, because according to Wikipedia, Al once said "That [song] is a motherf****r!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Bet_He%27s_Nice

"Holds and tickles and hugs out the night"
Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »

Michael actually made the "motherfucker" comment. He also made the comment after Airplane, that "if I don't get that lead, I'm gonna quit the group, how's that?"

Andrew Doe made the classic comment in his book about I'll Bet He's Nice, mentioning the circulating demo tape and how "you can almost hear the jaws drop when he (Brian) plays this one".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »

That 'nerd' comment was perfect. That's the image that Love You gives me, hell, even SMiLE kind of... that Brian was a total nerd that somehow managed to get a bunch of drugs and control of a world famous rock band. Not that it's a bad thing...
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »

Brian was the book-smart member in the band. Of course he was the nerd! But that nerd sense (nerdocity?) made us all love him. Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »

Sorry. I had to add that the POB set came out shortly before my dad died. If you believe in ghosts, he was still hanging out with us for about another month. One day at my mom's place I put on "Farewell My Friend". We both cried and we never had any paranormal experiences after that. That was a very tough summer though. Dennis Wilson deserves a lot more respect than he gets credited for!
In a really strange coincedence, my own Father died shortly after the POB/Bambu set came out. I can no longer hear Farewell, My Friend in the same way.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:27:45 PM »

In a really strange coincedence, my own Father died shortly after the POB/Bambu set came out. I can no longer hear Farewell, My Friend in the same way.

My dad died July 2nd, 2008. The POB/Bambu collection was the soundtrack of that summer. Then fall came and Bri made a whole cycle around my father's favorite song "That Lucky Old Sun". I really enjoy that set as well but I still keep busting out the DW cds a lot lately.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx