gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:04:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to speak hip ( new topic  (Read 18828 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2009, 05:48:49 AM »

@Fall Breaks -

Den här skivan innehåller bara åtta spår, men dessa är i gengäld betydligt längre än den genomsnittliga Beach Boys-låten. Skivan är också väldigt demokratisk i det att nästan alla medlemmar bidrar med text eller musik till åtminstone någon låt. Spår tre är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare.

Next attempt:

This here disk ('skivan' might be the Dutch 'schijf', which is a platter) contains ('innehallar' = Swedish equivalent for German 'beinhaltet'?) ?? tracks, and as such it appeals to the average Beach Boys fan(?). The platter is obviously (ocksa = clearly?) made (valdigt = the Dutch 'vervaardigd'?) in a democratic fashion, in that all members ('medlemmar' = equivalent of German 'Mitglieder'?) contributed ('bidrar' = equivalent for Dutch 'bijgedragen hebben'?) with text and music ..............?? (don't get that phrase). Track three ('tre' = 3?) at the end? contains a person (?) who resembles Brina Wilson after ('nar' = equivalent for Dutch 'na'?) his ('denne' = his?) turn ('turnera'??) to drugs (?)

As promised, I worke only with your texts. Time for a very small hint? It might be the 1986 'Beach Boys' album...
Now where getting somewhere! But did you miss the hint I gave you, the one saying that “åtta” is a number and “det enda” means “the only (one)” and not “the end”?

And let me change the number for what I called track three in the last sentence – it should be track four. My mistake. But look at all the similarities: “skivan” is indeed a disc/record/platter, “innehåller” is “contains”, “medlemmar” is “members” and “bidrar” is “contributes”. And you were (almost) right about “ersatte” as well. Smiley

More hints: “gengäld” might mean “compensation”, “också” means “also” or “as well”, “låt” is “song” and “åtminstone” is “at least”

Good luck!  Grin

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2009, 10:41:26 AM »

It might be the 1986 'Beach Boys' album...

the Sunkist album?....  Grin

(I think you meant the '85 album)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »

It might be the 1986 'Beach Boys' album...

the Sunkist album?....  Grin

(I think you meant the '85 album)

'86 could also refer to Made In USA.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »

Could someone translate what Mr. Boyd said, or would that defeat the droll inscrutability of this cherished thread? Huh
(Hey, I rhymed!).

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »

Could someone translate what Mr. Boyd said, or would that defeat the droll inscrutability of this cherished thread? Huh
(Hey, I rhymed!).

No we won't, as the new releases and box sets will come out in Holland only.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »

(Hey, I rhymed!).

try Google Translator or Yahoo's Babel Fish (that's what mr. Boyd used as well to get it translated in Dutch...)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »

(Hey, I rhymed!).

Remember 1972 Braambrugge  Smokin LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »

(Hey, I rhymed!).

Remember 1972 Braambrugge  Smokin LOL

Yeah mon! Irie! The Battle of Baambrugge! Right there at Joke's Koeienverhuurbedrijf and Uncle Pi's Cabin...

(...blood was spilled... studios and tapes were burned... Dennis got an orgasm...)

But we did it!

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:01 AM »

OK, I speak fluent German (albeit as a non-native speaker) and can usually read Dutch (but can't understand it at all when it's spoken, as it sounds totally different), and I have to admit, the Swedish looked utterly incomprehensible to me at first. But tease at it a little and you do start to see some of the cognates and words that are familiar. The problem is that the word order is occasionally different, and that even where there is a close equivalent word in a related language, that word is often not the one you'd use in a modern rendering of the same sentence. For example, the German word 'Zwehle' is a cognate to the English word 'towel', but 'eine Zwehle' is now a very old-fashioned word used mainly in dialects, meaning a rough fabric cloth, tablecloth, or even a devotional cloth used in religious ceremonies. The modern German word for towel, by the way, just in case you should ever need it, is 'Handtuch' or 'hand-cloth'. After all, everyone should know where his Handtuch is... Wink

OK, enough on meaning change between languages, or 'semantic drift', as linguists love to call it. Back to the Scandanavian BB album review.

"Den här skivan innehåller bara åtta spår, men dessa är i gengäld betydligt längre än den genomsnittliga Beach Boys-låten. Skivan är också väldigt demokratisk i det att nästan alla medlemmar bidrar med text eller musik till åtminstone någon låt. Spår tre är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare."

OK, so...

"Den här skivan innehåller bara åtta spår..."

I'm going to guess is, "This here disc contains just (or 'a mere') eight tracks...".

"Skivan" is, as has already been said, like the Dutch 'Schijf' and the German 'Scheibe' or disk, and I'm going to hazard a guess that 'bara' is like English 'barely', although we wouldn't use that word there. "åtta" (pronounced 'orta', I think? 'a's with a circle over them are pronounced 'or' in Norwegian, I think...) must be like German 'acht' and English 'eight'. I don't know for sure, but that's my guess. And 'spår' is track - written and pronounced very like the German 'Spur' and Dutch 'Spoor'.

"This here disc" sounds dialectical in English, but I suppose you would simply write "This disc" or (if the writing was supposed to be posh or elevated in style) "The disc under discussion" to get the register of the writing correct (in other words, how elevated or slangy it sounds).

So, if I've got the number right, the riddle is solved — the album has to be Carl & The Passions, as nothing else by the Beach Boys has just eight tracks! But that's not the end of the fun, of course. Let's continue.

"...men dessa är i gengäld betydligt längre än den genomsnittliga Beach Boys-låten."

I don't know what 'men' means, but perhaps it will become clear from the context of the rest of the clause. 'Dessa' I would guess is 'these', like German 'diese' and also like the English, and "är" I happen to know is 'are' from visiting Norway. I'd guess it's the same in Swedish, as the two are so closely related, and parts of the verb 'to be', being some of the most regularly used words in any language, are often the parts that change least as languages drift and separate. This isn't always true, of course, as some parts of the verb 'to be' are often replaced with words from different verb stems. So German 'ist' is like English 'is', and Norwegian 'är' is like English 'are', but the German for 'are' is 'sind', which comes from a different root verb also meaning 'to be' — just as we say 'he goes' but 'he went' in the past, which comes from another verb altogether, 'to wend').

I'd never have got 'i gengäld', but Fall Breaks tells us this means something like 'compensation'. That makes sense to me: 'gen' is an old or poetic German word for 'against' (the modern word is 'gegen') and I'll guess that 'gäld' is 'money'. So 'gengäld' is 'compensation' or 'money that you get against or towards something (that has happened to you)'. I'll put all this together in a moment.

Moving on, an old English word for 'time' is 'tide' (which we now use in a different context, of course), like the Dutch 'tijd' and German 'Zeit'. I'm therefore going to guess that 'betydligt' means 'betimed', or simply 'timed' as we would write in modern English.

'längre' simply must be, from context, sound and spelling, like German 'länger' and English 'longer'.

Finally, ""...än den genomsnittliga Beach Boys-låten." "än den" is like German 'an den' or English 'on the', and Fall Breaks has told us that 'genomsnittliga' is 'average'. This is like the German word for average, 'durchschnittlich', which literally means 'what you get if you make a cut through the middle' (it literally means 'through-cut-ly'. '-snittliga' is very like '-schnittlich' here. And 'låten' is like 'Lieder' in German, which means 'song'. This has a cognate in German with the word 'Laut', which means either 'loud' or 'sound'. So a song in German is literally 'that which possesses loudness/sound'.

Putting it altogether, what have we got?

'This here disc contains just barely eight tracks, [SOMETHING] these are, as compensation, timed longer than the average Beach Boys songs'.

From this, I'd guess that 'men' means 'but' or 'however'.

That would give us, rendered into good colloquial English:

'This record has just eight tracks, but by way of compensation, each one is longer than the average Beach Boys song'.

It's GOT to be Carl and The Passions - So Tough.

I'll do the rest in a moment...

MattB
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:56:09 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2009, 06:37:17 AM »

Um. The rest is kinda hard. But let's plough on...

"Skivan är också väldigt demokratisk i det att nästan alla medlemmar bidrar med text eller musik till åtminstone någon låt. Spår tre är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare."

I can add a few bits to the first sentence. "Också" is like German 'Auch', meaning 'also'. 'demokratisk' is clearly 'democratic', and I'll hazard a guess that 'alla' is 'all', like German 'alle'. 'medlemmar' is members (as in of a band or club, like German 'Mitglieder') and 'bidrar' is 'contribute', like German 'beitragen', which literally means 'to with-carry', or put in better English 'to bring something with you [in the sense of bringing something with you to the table, a party, or a debate]'. And 'åtminstone' apparently means 'at least'. 'åt-' may be related to English 'at' here, and 'minstone' is similar to German 'mindeste', meaning 'least' or 'minus-est'! 'Med' is 'with', like German 'mit' and in English 'MIDwife', the person that sits WITH the wife [at a time when the wife most needs someone to sit with them...!]. And 'till' is 'to' or 'towards', a bit like 'until' in English, but the context is slightly different.

So from what we know so far, the first sentence here is:

"[The] disc is also [SOMETHING] democratic as [SOMETHING] [SOMETHING] [SOMETHING] [SOMETHING] all members contribute with text and music to at least [SOMETHING] song".

'väldigt' looks like a past tense to me. '-igt' seems to be like German '-t' on past participles (geschalte-t, gestell-t, geöffne-t), like English '-ed' (switch-ed, plac-ed, open-ed). The Heartical Don guessed this might be 'manufactured' or 'made'. I'm not sure, but I'll go with that. There is a word a bit like the Dutch one he mentioned in German, 'verfertigen', which means 'to produce (industrially)'. This literally means 'to make ready' and comes from the root word 'fertig', meaning 'ready'. This sounds a bit like 'väldig', but that could be a coincidence. Nonetheless, 'manufactured' 'produced' or 'made' would make sense in this context.

I don't think I'm going to get any more words in this sentence.

"i det att nästan"... I just don't know. 'nästen' could be 'next', like German 'nächste' and like the English word. I feel intuitively as though this part might mean 'like the next one', but I don't know how or why. And actually, that could make sense:

"The record is also made democratically: like the next one, all members contribute lyrics and music..." as the next Beach Boys album after CATP is Holland, and all the members also contributed to that lyrically and musically. But this is really guesswork...

I've no idea what 'någon' means. It might be like German 'noch eine', meaning 'another one' but how would that fit in here? Unless it's something like 'all members contribute lyrics and music to at least one other song'. But again, I'm guessing.

So here's a stab at the next complete sentence in good English. But there's more guesswork in this one than there was in the last sentence.

"This album, like the next one, is also something of a democratic effort: every member contributes lyrics and music to at least one song."

The last sentence is the hardest of all. So I'll come back to that shortly...
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2009, 06:55:31 AM »

Matt, you probably don't want any feedback until you've finished everything, so let me just alert you on that last sentence. It should read:

"Spår tre fyra är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:56:42 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:23 AM »

"Spår tre är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare."

This is, as I said, really tough. I'm guessing the most and knowing the least in this sentence.

So, what DO we know for sure?

Well, 'spår' is track and 'är' is 'is'. And although this says 'track three', Fall Breaks tells us he actually meant to write 'Track 4'. 'det enda' is 'the only one'. 'innehåller' is something to do with 'containing' or 'holding' (maybe 'featuring'?). 'åtta', at the end of the sentence, is 'eight' again, I think. And 'år', I seem to recall from knowing what Happy New Year is in a lot of different languages, is 'year'. And 'tidigare'... I don't know, but that seems to have 'tid-' in it again, a root that means 'time'. So maybe a word that has a sense of time in it, like 'ago', or 'earlier' or something. Yes, this *is* a weak guess!

Put it together, and what have you got? Nothing that makes much sense, unfortunately...

"Track four is the only one [SOMETHING] contains?? the person [SOMETHING] replacement?? Brian Wilson [SOMETHING] [SOMETHING] [SOMETHING] [SOMETHING] eight years [time/timing/ago/earlier???]"

I'm not going to get any more by deduction, so I'm going to use guesswork based on context. Track four on CATP is, of course, 'Marcella', mainly written by Brian, and partly based on a section from the (then) unreleased 'All Dressed Up For School' from 1964... which, interestingly, was recorded eight years before CATP's release in 1972! 'ersatte' is apparently something to do with replacement... could it be 'irreplaceable'? 'när' could be 'near to' or 'similar to', and 'turnera'  might mean 'produced', like a craftsman that 'turns' a piece of wood, although that's utter guesswork. It could also mean 'turn' as in a 'number' or 'song'. Or indeed, almost anything else at all.

So now I'm going to go out on a limb here and go for:

"Track four is the only one featuring major contributions by the irreplaceable Brian Wilson, and is similar to a number he produced eight years earlier"

...or something like that.

OK, Fall Breaks... how'd I do?

MattB
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:22:17 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »

OK, I admit it - I peeked! Having finished an attempt, I then used Google Translate!

And it goes to show where guesswork can take you... all that stuff I worked up for the last sentence about Marcella and All Dressed Up For School was a complete load of nonsense! So if anyone out there is still trying, my attempt at the last sentence is barking up COMPLETELY the wrong tree. The Don's guesses of 'to replace' or one of its tenses for 'ersatte' and 'after' for 'när' are much closer to the truth than what I came up with. And I really should have been able to take a guess at 'slutera'... no, it's not what an English speaker might think!!!! But think German 'schliessen', or Dutch 'sluiten', and you'll be on the right lines...

Looks like I did OK on the rest, though... Wink

MattB
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:59:23 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »

I'll come back with comments etc tomorrow so Don (and/or others) can have a go at it as well!  Smiley

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »

Is ábhar deas a bheith. Cheana féin 5 leathanaigh agus dul ar. WOW (irish)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »

Yo no hablo Neerlandés, Alemán, Sueco, o Noruego.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »

Esta foro tiena muchos pendejos Brianistas. Smiley
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »

Dair gwaith bob penwythnos llenwiais i fy fflat gyda dreigiau twp.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »

What language is that???  Huh

"Ik ben een homoseksuele Nederlander en ik wil dat je mijn teelballen te likken, want ik ben bloed plassen en scheten vuur." - Kasper Por
http://www.myspace.com/allesnieuwevenkijkenhoewe
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:33 AM »

What language is that???  Huh

"Ik ben een homoseksuele Nederlander en ik wil dat je mijn teelballen te likken, want ik ben bloed plassen en scheten vuur." - Kasper Por

Hahaha ik denk dat de vertaler niet helemaal goed werkt  LOL
rogerlancelot
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »

What language is that???  Huh

Hahaha ik denk dat de vertaler niet helemaal goed werkt  LOL

Ik gebruik Google Translate eindelijk. Grappig, voegde ik een paar vrienden op mijn MySpace uit Nederland en ik gebruikte die laatste opmerking in mijn invites. Ze worden wel aanvaard. Misschien dat ik zal moeten de taal leren en bewegen daar. Ik ben erg geïnteresseerd in de hasj bars.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2009, 06:39:15 AM »

This is a superb thread. By its nature it could last forever... so many languages, and so much fun to play around with them, and with BBs-related stuff

Matt B.: I have to take a deep bow, even if you didn't get to the very end of the riddle. Your efforts are of a textbook clarity, and your powers to imagine common sounds and parts of words across multiple languages are very impressive. Are you a teacher?

I will try to work out the missing links in the next two hours or so.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »

Welsh! I studied it for a few month at my university.  Smiley

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2009, 07:40:07 AM »

Is Aberysthwyth in Wales? I see it each morning on BBC's weather forecast...

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2009, 07:56:55 AM »

Is Aberysthwyth in Wales? I see it each morning on BBC's weather forecast...
Yep, it is.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx