gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:15:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to speak hip ( new topic  (Read 18883 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »

Tidenen av blod, dagar av makt, fädernas kall, skriker i mina ådror. Draget kallt stål, sjunger i mina händer, täjer forna dagar, deras stora glans. Faderna kall, skriker i mina ådror. Med höjda nordbanér genom särkastam, banar blodig väg i dödens namn. Ty dagar står åter då vårt tål vädras Tiden är dagad, då vi smeker ovärdig lekamen. Ty draget stål kallt som is, från nordan drar åter vi iväg. Med höjda banér genom särkastam, väcker allt som varit i mitt vreda sinne. Urgammalt blod fyller min kropp sjunger de gamlas sång i korpens skugga. Fädernas kall skriker i mina ådror. Ty draget stål kallt som is, från nordan drar åter vi. Tidenen av blod...

Not a BB-related thing in Swedish; this is actually a lyric from one of my favorite Swedish fantasy metal bands. I can't really detect a huge similarity to Dutch in this text. Presumably, if you were to compare Dutch to Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, or Greenlandic you would get similar responses, although Greenlandic bears only the slightest resemblance to Danish, let alone Dutch. Swedish in some respects would have more in common with actual German as opposed to Dutch, despite all three being Germanic languages.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »

It's fascinating that Dutch is so easy to understand for a non-Dutch-speaking person. Me, being Swedish, can make out the meaning of most of the Dutch posts hear. Can you, dear Dutch speakers, do the same with Swedish, I wonder?

I would not think so... I never get past the 'Swedish Chef'.

But give a Swedish text, please. For instance: describe a BBs album without mentioning any title. We will try to work out which you mean, and on what grounds.
Den här skivan innehåller bara åtta spår, men dessa är i gengäld betydligt längre än den genomsnittliga Beach Boys-låten. Skivan är också väldigt demokratisk i det att nästan alla medlemmar bidrar med text eller musik till åtminstone någon låt. Spår tre är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:51:52 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »

Tidenen av blod, dagar av makt, fädernas kall, skriker i mina ådror. Draget kallt stål, sjunger i mina händer, täjer forna dagar, deras stora glans. Faderna kall, skriker i mina ådror. Med höjda nordbanér genom särkastam, banar blodig väg i dödens namn. Ty dagar står åter då vårt tål vädras Tiden är dagad, då vi smeker ovärdig lekamen. Ty draget stål kallt som is, från nordan drar åter vi iväg. Med höjda banér genom särkastam, väcker allt som varit i mitt vreda sinne. Urgammalt blod fyller min kropp sjunger de gamlas sång i korpens skugga. Fädernas kall skriker i mina ådror. Ty draget stål kallt som is, från nordan drar åter vi. Tidenen av blod...

Not a BB-related thing in Swedish; this is actually a lyric from one of my favorite Swedish fantasy metal bands. I can't really detect a huge similarity to Dutch in this text. Presumably, if you were to compare Dutch to Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, or Greenlandic you would get similar responses, although Greenlandic bears only the slightest resemblance to Danish, let alone Dutch. Swedish in some respects would have more in common with actual German as opposed to Dutch, despite all three being Germanic languages.
Yes, Swedish should have more in common with German than Dutch, but I studied German for five years (and since then forgotten most), and I still find Dutch, which I haven’t studied at all, just as understandable as German.

Your Swedish example (from ONE of your favorite Swedish fantasy metal bands – you’ve got more? There are more??) is very archaic, a bit fragmented and contain some words and word order no normal person would use nowadays. I think it’s easier to understand things written about something which you already have knowledge about – see my example and let me know what you think – than poetry/lyrics.

"Ancient blood fills my body singing the song of the old ones in the shadow of the raven", indeed.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:56:49 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »

It's fascinating that Dutch is so easy to understand for a non-Dutch-speaking person. Me, being Swedish, can make out the meaning of most of the Dutch posts hear. Can you, dear Dutch speakers, do the same with Swedish, I wonder?

But give a Swedish text, please. For instance: describe a BBs album without mentioning any title. We will try to work out which you mean, and on what grounds.
Den här skivan innehåller bara åtta spår, men dessa är i gengäld betydligt längre än den genomsnittliga Beach Boys-låten. Skivan är också väldigt demokratisk i det att nästan alla medlemmar bidrar med text eller musik till åtminstone någon låt. Spår tre är det enda som innehåller den person som ersatte Brian Wilson när denne slutade turnera åtta år tidigare.

Ow this is hard. I promise I won't consult any dictionary. 'Genomslnittliga' = 'of the same name'? I only recognize 'demokratisk'... which reminds me of Sunflower, or Holland, perhaps L.A. Album. 'Ersatte' means: 'replacement of a lesser quality' (Ersatz in German)?

'Det enda' = 'the end'?

We will see...

Is 'skivan innehallar' indoor skating? Then it's 'Love You'?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:19:35 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jason
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 10:06:16 AM »

Yeah, that makes sense.

The response you left above makes more sense when comparing it to Dutch. Granted, a song lyric was most likely not the best idea. The only phrase I know fully in Swedish (and also because it's one of my favorite movies) is "mitt liv som hund", so I was at a bit of a loss.

This does, however, open up a whole new can of worms. I've heard that the average Joe in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark can recognize all three respective languages by ear, despite, obviously, two of the three not being their native language. Then of course you have Icelandic and Greenlandic. And I've heard of a dialect, if you will, of Swedish that is spoken in parts of Finland by a group of Swedish-origin folks who live there. Is it really that easy for a regular Scandinavian to recognize each of the three main languages by ear, as well as possibly Icelandic and Greenlandic?
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »

We proberen nog steeds ons uiterste best om een aantal nieuwe projecten die worden uitgevoerd archief er te komen, en we zijn blijven behouden en de grote massa van tapes catalogus die rust vredig in de gewelven. Dit zijn uitdagende tijden voor de muziekindustrie, zoals u allen weet, maar we hebben goede hoop dat sommige van de nieuwe technologische ontwikkelingen, met name op het gebied van online aankoop en levering opties, nieuwe kansen zal eerder te maken ongehoord nummers en uitvoeringen beschikbaar de consument. Dank u voor uw voortdurende steun.

Dank u wel mr Boyd. Nooit geweten dat u zo goed nederlands kon schrijven  Grin
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »

south african (old dutch):

Op 'n mooi glas kan ek ure luister na die beach boys. Lekker flesje Heineken daar by en uitsig op 'n mooie dame.

Hoop net word daar weer vinnig 'n dubbel CD box vrygestel, wat deur die beste produsent, mr Alan Boyd, is saam gestel.

Die beste wense en 'n gelukkige nuwe jaar

LOL Roll Eyes Grin

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:04:13 AM by Dutchie » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »

Yeah, that makes sense.

The response you left above makes more sense when comparing it to Dutch. Granted, a song lyric was most likely not the best idea. The only phrase I know fully in Swedish (and also because it's one of my favorite movies) is "mitt liv som hund", so I was at a bit of a loss.

This does, however, open up a whole new can of worms. I've heard that the average Joe in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark can recognize all three respective languages by ear, despite, obviously, two of the three not being their native language. Then of course you have Icelandic and Greenlandic. And I've heard of a dialect, if you will, of Swedish that is spoken in parts of Finland by a group of Swedish-origin folks who live there. Is it really that easy for a regular Scandinavian to recognize each of the three main languages by ear, as well as possibly Icelandic and Greenlandic?
Do you by ”recognize” mean only differ between the two and know which is which, then yes, certainly - but I guess you mean if we understand the other languages as well. And we do, but Danish can be a bit incomprehensible in that it’s so guttural (is that how it’s spelled?). Norwegian is easier to understand for a Swede, and once you’re used to it it really isn’t hard at all.

Greenlandic is actually an inuit language with Danish loan words if I’m not mistaken, so that’s another language family altogether. Icelandic, along with Faroese, spoken in the Faroe Islands, are much closer to the common language spoken in the Nordic countries about a thousand years ago, and have evolved in another direction than Swedish, Danish and Norwegian all since the colonization of the those islands long ago, so we do not understand that (except for the single word or two) when spoken. However, if you want to make it a bit more complicated, than add älvdalska, a dialect that some consider a language of its own, which is spoken by a few hundred in a remote area of Dalecarlia (Dalarna), Sweden. IIRC it has MORE in common with Icelandic (and/or old Norse) than Swedish…

The Swedish dialect spoken in Finland is indeed a dialect among other Swedish dialects – its influences from Finnish only go as far as the melody.

Hey, this is fun! Now it’s my turn: how much do Flemish, Dutch and… what’s it called, Frisish?? differ and have in common?

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »

Can mr Boyd shat some light on this ?

translated to dutch:
Kan de heer Boyd SHAT enig licht op deze?

LOL haha i need to pee my pants with laughter, and especially when I read this translation haha
rogerlancelot
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »

Okay, I couldn't leave this alone. To prove how bad these free translators are (and without speaking any Dutch myself) I took some of my usual gibberish in English:

"Elephants do not wear hats because their feet are too tight. Never trust an oyster with two tacos and a banjo. Unexplained events are often useful in helping to solve mysteries."

With Yahoo! Babelfish translated into Dutch:

"De olifanten dragen geen hoeden omdat hun voeten te strak zijn. Vertrouw nooit op een oester met twee taco's en een banjo. De onverklaarde gebeurtenissen zijn vaak nuttig in het helpen om geheimen op te lossen."

And then back into English:

"The elephants carry no charges because their feet are too tight. Trust never an oyster with two taco' s and a banjo. The unexplained events are frequently useful in helping to solve mysteries."

Actually, that's not too far off... Okay, how about a poem of mine:

"Mary had a little leg
It's sores were red and green
And everywhere her colon goes
Her foot pertrudes between

It followed her to the grave one day
It was beside the pool
And every time it kicked the cop
It bounced across the mule

While on my way through clear blue skies
I stopped and ordered a shake with fries
I noticed something in my shorts
And this verse really doesn't belong with the rest of this. First of all it doesn't rhyme. I think I'll delete this end bit..... "

Into Dutch (without spaces):

"Mary had een klein been It' s pijnlijke plekken waren rood en groen En overal gaat haar dubbelpunt Haar voet pertrudes tussen Het volgde haar aan ernstige op een dag Het was naast de pool En telkens als het cop schopte Het stuiterde over de muilezel Terwijl op mijn manier door duidelijke blauwe hemelen Ik hield en gaf opdracht tot een schok met gebraden gerechten tegen Ik merkte iets in mijn borrels op En dit vers werkelijk doesn' t behoort tot de rest van dit. Eerst en vooral het doesn' t rijm. Ik denk I' ll schrapping dit eindbeetje ..... "

And back to English:

"Mary had a small leg It' s painful spots were red and green and everywhere concern its dubbelpunt its foot pertrudes between it followed her to serious on a day it were beside the pole and each time it kicked COP it played at marbles the muilezel whereas in my manner by clear blue hemelen I kept and commissioned to a bump with roasted Courts against I noticed something in my borrels and this fresh real doesn' t belongs up to the rest of this. Firstly and especially it doesn' t rhyme. I think I' ll cancellation this end smattering ....."

Hmmmm.... How about another poem of mine in English:

"Twas the night before Thursday and outside the door
Not a wookie was stirring, not even a whore
Upstairs in the attic and bleeding in bed
With visions of Nixon who's long since been dead
For those who feel super or those with frost bite
Mary's anus for all and for all a gun fight!"

Into Dutch (again without spaces):

"Twas de nacht vóór Donderdag en buiten de deur niet een wookie bewoog, niet zelfs whore Boven in de zolder en het aftappen in bed Met visies van Nixon who' s sinds lang dood voor hen die of die met vorstbeet Mary' super voelen; s anussen voor allen en voor allen een kanonstrijd!"

Back into English:

"Twas the night by Thursday and outside the door not wookie moved, not even whore in the attic and drawing off in bed with visions of Nixon who' s since long dead for them that or that with vorstbeet Mary' super feels; s anuses for all and for all a gun fight!"

Final conclusion: these free on-line translators are not worth a damn. But my poems are kind of funny.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

LOL haha i need to pee my pants with laughter, and especially when I read this translation haha

Hm... Dutch expessions don't do well when Google translates them...  

Correctly translated: I'm about to wet my pants from laughing, especially when I read this translation

And why am I even trying to correct this at all?    Razz

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »

Ow this is hard. I promise I won't consult any dictionary. 'Genomslnittliga' = 'of the same name'? I only recognize 'demokratisk'... which reminds me of Sunflower, or Holland, perhaps L.A. Album. 'Ersatte' means: 'replacement of a lesser quality' (Ersatz in German)?

'Det enda' = 'the end'?

We will see...

Is 'skivan innehallar' indoor skating? Then it's 'Love You'?
You get extra points for creativity!  Grin Well, “innehallar” could very well mean indoor skating rinks, but not “innehåller” which is a verb… “Ersatte” as “replacement of a lesser quality” made me laugh out loud, not because it’s especially wrong (just a slight difference in nuance) but for the meaning it would give that sentence… You’ll see later.

“Genomsnittliga” means “average” (lit. through-cut-ish!) while “det enda” is ”the only (one)”. Good guesses, though.

Hint: “spår” means “track” and “åtta” is a number.  Wink

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »

Yes, Swedish should have more in common with German than Dutch

I do understand German, but I don't understand a word of these Swedish texts. Might as well have been Chinese.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »

As someone said, the cognates make it quick and easy to decipher Roll Eyes  .....only and only if you have some exposure and training in the other language.

Clairol introduced the "Mist Stick," a curling iron, into Germany only to find out that "mist" is slang for manure.  Not too many people had use for the "Manure Stick."

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »

As someone said, the cognates make it quick and easy to decipher Roll Eyes  .....only and only if you have some exposure and training in the other language.

Clairol introduced the "Mist Stick," a curling iron, into Germany only to find out that "mist" is slang for manure.  Not too many people had use for the "Manure Stick."

There once was a model of the car Honda called Honda Fitta, where the last word, in Swedish, is a dirty word for the female genitals. The car was never imported to Sweden.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

here is how Help me Rhonda sounds in dutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45Q4X68bEs
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »

I miss the days when you'd only need a little hungarian phrase book.  Grin
Jason
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

I knew there would be an inevitable Python reference in this thread.

"Do you want...do you WANT to come back to my place? Bouncy bouncy!"
rogerlancelot
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »

I knew there would be an inevitable Python reference in this thread.

"Do you want...do you WANT to come back to my place? Bouncy bouncy!"

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"I will not buy this record. It is scratched."
"My nipples explode with delight!"
Jason
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »

"What's all this then?"
"You have beautiful thighs."
"What?!?"
"He hit me!"
"Drop your panties, Sir William, I cannot wait 'till lunchtime!"
"Right!"
"My nipples explode with delight!"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2009, 05:05:54 PM »

hotdogmilkshaken
WHAT?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2009, 06:30:28 PM »

A hotdogmilkshaken requires a bit of effort.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »

A hotdogmilkshaken requires a bit of effort.
It was supposed to be "clam juice hot dog milkshake" but it got lost in the translation.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2009, 01:24:08 AM »

@Fall Breaks -

Next attempt:

This here disk ('skivan' might be the Dutch 'schijf', which is a platter) contains ('innehallar' = Swedish equivalent for German 'beinhaltet'?) ?? tracks, and as such it appeals to the average Beach Boys fan(?). The platter is obviously (ocksa = clearly?) made (valdigt = the Dutch 'vervaardigd'?) in a democratic fashion, in that all members ('medlemmar' = equivalent of German 'Mitglieder'?) contributed ('bidrar' = equivalent for Dutch 'bijgedragen hebben'?) with text and music ..............?? (don't get that phrase). Track three ('tre' = 3?) at the end? contains a person (?) who resembles Brina Wilson after ('nar' = equivalent for Dutch 'na'?) his ('denne' = his?) turn ('turnera'??) to drugs (?)

As promised, I worke only with your texts. Time for a very small hint? It might be the 1986 'Beach Boys' album...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2009, 01:24:53 AM »

Oh yes, BTW: I dearly love this thread. May it run for some time... LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx