gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:44:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to speak hip ( new topic  (Read 18907 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 03:48:04 AM »

SMiLE sessions are coming out on July 4th, 2010?

Edit: Hey, I can read Dutch!  LOL

Another Edit: When(and how) did I learn how to read Dutch?  Brow
I think Dutch and English are similar enough that you can get the gist of what they're saying because of all the cognates.

Well, Dutch and English are related, they're both so-called West Germanic languages.

True dat. See: compare the following two statements:

'Sakkerloot, ik heb goesting in een pikketanussie!'

'Damn, I need a stiff drink!'

Sounds similar, don't it?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »

Dutchie is correct. And Shleter: I'd advise you "NOT to listen to the Don at this point..."  Grin

But before this topic has turned into a typical Sandbox topic; can we get back to the original question please?

Is there any projects in the works from the beach boys ?
Been a while since Capitol/BRI did put out some great cd's.
Maybe some live cd/dvd ?
Can mr Boyd tell something about this ?

I really hope for something else than the obvous Best-of. A 50th anniversary should call for something like a boxset. But what will it contain? Smile? I really don't think we'll get a Smilebox (or even a Smile-release) in the near future. Maybe the "Surf's up"audio DVD ? That album has something like a cult-factor and probably would doo good among the indie-charts I think....
And I still hope for a double CD-set with the complete Chicago '65 concert and a whole concert from the early 70s. You know, something by the classic group, who were a great liveband imo, (not to forget the important [sales-]factor that Brian Wilson is part of it) and then something that shows them at their live peak. That really would be the greatest thing for me. I don't necessarily need many unreleased songs....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 04:32:35 AM »

Since when does a mixture of Flemish and Amsterdam dialects qualify as Dutch?  Smiley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

I think Dutch and English are similar enough that you can get the gist of what they're saying because of all the cognates.

Well, Dutch and English are related, they're both so-called West Germanic languages.

Oh the irony. English is so much the world language that a native speaker doesn't really need to learn any other, unless for business or for a hobby. But at the same time the native English Speaker doesn't understand any other language in the world. Except, as I was told, for Dutch. And I guess that's quite a stretch, like me saying that I speak Portuguese and can basically (or barely) sense the meaning of a text in Rumanian.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

Oh the irony. English is so much the world language that a native speaker doesn't really need to learn any other, unless for business or for a hobby. But at the same time the native English Speaker doesn't understand any other language in the world. Except, as I was told, for Dutch. And I guess that's quite a stretch, like me saying that I speak Portuguese and can basically (or barely) sense the meaning of a text in Rumanian.

In speech the two languages are more similar than they probably seem in writing. This is for instance your post in Dutch with every individual world translated back to English. Notice that the order of the words is very different but that a lot of the individual words sound pretty similar.

Oh [Oh] de [the] ironie [irony]. Engels [English] is [is] dusdanig [so much] de [the] wereldtaal [world language] dat [that] een [a] geboren [born] spreker [speaker] eigenlijk [actually] geen [no] andere [other] taal [language] hoeft [have] te [to] leren [learn], tenzij [unless] voor [for] zaken [business] of [or] als [as] hobby [hobby]. Maar [but] daardoor [literally: there through] begrijpt [understands (literally: grijpt = grabs] de [the] geboren [born] Engelssprekende [English speaking] geen [no] enkele [single] andere [other] taal [language] ter [on the] wereld [world]. Behalve [except], zo [so] was [was] mij [me] verteld [told], Nederlands [Dutch]. Maar [but] ik [ I] geloof [believe] dat [that] dat [that] behoorlijk [quite] overdreven [overstated] is [is], alsof [as if] ik [ I] zeg [say] dat [that] ik [ I] Portugees [Portuguese] spreek [speak] en [and] dat [that] ik [ I] zo [so] ongeveer [more or less] de [the] betekenis [meaning] van [of] een [a] tekst [text] in [in] het [the] Roemeens [Rumanian] kan [can] begrijpen [understand].
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:39:52 PM by shelter » Logged
mtaber
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »

I'd like to go to Holland... wooden shoe?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

Damn translates to Sakkerloot in Dutch? That's my new favorite swear word.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »

Damn translates to Sakkerloot in Dutch? That's my new favorite swear word.  Grin

Sakkerloot is a very old-fashioned word, nowadays most people say verdomme.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »

Shelter, very interesting. Thanks.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 02:39:22 AM »

What is the Dutch cheese that is made backwards?

Sorry, but found this in a Christmas cracker.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 03:16:18 AM »

What is the Dutch cheese that is made backwards?

Sorry, but found this in a Christmas cracker.

Edam. Smiley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 04:41:24 AM »

LOL LOL LOL I am in a library now but laughed out very, very loud. I spoke 'Sakkerloot' in my head, with a heavy US accent, and heard: 'Suck A Loot!'

Your remark is brilliant in itself!

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »

. I spoke 'Sakkerloot' in my head, with a heavy US accent, and heard: 'Suck A Loot!'

Your remark is brilliant in itself!
Hey man, American's don't have an accent!!! Get real. Grin

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
rogerlancelot
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »

Gelieve te masseren mijn billen. Ik heb teveel de hotdogmilkshaken van het tweekleppig schelpdiersap voor ontbijt gehad en ik moet gas van mijn anussen verdrijven.

Grin
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »

We proberen nog steeds ons uiterste best om een aantal nieuwe projecten die worden uitgevoerd archief er te komen, en we zijn blijven behouden en de grote massa van tapes catalogus die rust vredig in de gewelven. Dit zijn uitdagende tijden voor de muziekindustrie, zoals u allen weet, maar we hebben goede hoop dat sommige van de nieuwe technologische ontwikkelingen, met name op het gebied van online aankoop en levering opties, nieuwe kansen zal eerder te maken ongehoord nummers en uitvoeringen beschikbaar de consument. Dank u voor uw voortdurende steun.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »

Thanks for the update, mr. Boyd.

Gelieve te masseren mijn billen. Ik heb teveel de hotdogmilkshaken van het tweekleppig schelpdiersap voor ontbijt gehad en ik moet gas van mijn anussen verdrijven.

Grin

Shocked

The rules for foul language also count for foreign languages.  Grin

I think it's time for a petition to get the use of Google translator forbidden...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
rogerlancelot
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 01:42:49 AM »

Oops, sorry. I used Yahoo Babelfish and I swear I was only using medical terminology. This has been a fun thread though. Won't happen again.
 Evil
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2009, 03:04:25 AM »

We proberen nog steeds ons uiterste best om een aantal nieuwe projecten die worden uitgevoerd archief er te komen, en we zijn blijven behouden en de grote massa van tapes catalogus die rust vredig in de gewelven. Dit zijn uitdagende tijden voor de muziekindustrie, zoals u allen weet, maar we hebben goede hoop dat sommige van de nieuwe technologische ontwikkelingen, met name op het gebied van online aankoop en levering opties, nieuwe kansen zal eerder te maken ongehoord nummers en uitvoeringen beschikbaar de consument. Dank u voor uw voortdurende steun.

Hi Alan - you did a great job in Dutch here! There are a few hiccups (eventually) but on the whole your message comes across 100%.

Esp. the 'grote massa van tapes' is intriguing. Fine band name too...

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 03:12:03 AM »

Oops, sorry. I used Yahoo Babelfish and I swear I was only using medical terminology. This has been a fun thread though. Won't happen again.
 Evil

Just kidding, don't worry.

Medical terminology? Aha, strange that somehow the "automatically generated" translation makes it sound a lot dirtier in Dutch than it was meant to be.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 04:55:47 AM »

Grin

You have multiple anusses?  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 05:00:49 AM »

Grin

You have multiple anusses?  Grin

He's anally challenged.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 05:33:43 AM »

He's anally challenged.

Quite the contrary!

Or kont-rary...  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 05:36:57 AM »

He's anally challenged.

Quite the contrary!

Or kont-rary...  Grin

LOL

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

It's fascinating that Dutch is so easy to understand for a non-Dutch-speaking person. Me, being Swedish, can make out the meaning of most of the Dutch posts hear. Can you, dear Dutch speakers, do the same with Swedish, I wonder?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 09:13:35 AM »

It's fascinating that Dutch is so easy to understand for a non-Dutch-speaking person. Me, being Swedish, can make out the meaning of most of the Dutch posts hear. Can you, dear Dutch speakers, do the same with Swedish, I wonder?

I would not think so... I never get past the 'Swedish Chef'.

But give a Swedish text, please. For instance: describe a BBs album without mentioning any title. We will try to work out which you mean, and on what grounds.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx