gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:51:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Made In USA
5 - 15 (35.7%)
4 - 15 (35.7%)
3 - 7 (16.7%)
2 - 3 (7.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In USA  (Read 29612 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

i know but it doesn't make it right. Imagine people who wanna buy a collection of great Beach Boys classic hits. They're sure as hell gonna want 'the Warmth of the Sun' over 'Getcha Back'. They won't even know wtf 'Getcha Back' is and, if they have ears, will note that it's a terrible song.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:42 PM »

i know but it doesn't make it right. Imagine people who wanna buy a collection of great Beach Boys classic hits. They're sure as hell gonna want 'the Warmth of the Sun' over 'Getcha Back'. They won't even know wtf 'Getcha Back' is and, if they have ears, will note that it's a terrible song.
Says you, but there are others who think otherwise. Think about it, it is like adding TWGMTR to 50 Big Ones. Getcha Back was a Top 30 hit, so not too terrible.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

Of course album buyers in 1986 would want Getcha Back to be on the record - it was all over the radio the year before, even had a popular video shown on MTV, and as noted earlier, made the top 40.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:53 AM »

I still listen to this collection of songs, and I think's its worthy of a 4/5.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »

Worth getting mainly for "California Dreamin'" and the underrated "Rock and Roll to the Rescue".
3.5 out of 5
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

Worth getting mainly for "California Dreamin'" and the underrated "Rock and Roll to the Rescue".
3.5 out of 5
Also worth getting for sound, if you like flat transfers.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aric Keith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

This was the first official Beach Boys album I ever owned. Got it for Christmas in '87, I think. I was a pretty new fan at that point and 13 or 14 years old. I think it's a great retrospective of their career to that point. There are *countless* great songs they could've included, but decisions have to be made, ya know? I never got much into side 4, but I enjoyed it alright. Getcha Back is a fine tune, competent and well-performed apart from the huge 80s reverbs. R&R to the Rescue didn't get much traction at the time which is unfortunate because I've listened to it a few times recently and it's a pretty darn good pop/rock tune. It drives with guitar, piano, sax, bass and drums. Brian's lead vocals are very solid, too.

I don't really know how to rate compilation albums, though, because they aren't really "an album" in the sense that they're just culling material from previous albums like a sample platter. I will say I played it A LOT and really enjoyed it because the music is great.

Aric
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »

5/5 Excellent compilation and great sound and 2 new tracks.. This the 1st cd I ever bought along with BB 1985.. I wasn't sold on the new technology..  Like vinyl too much.. And the album art of course to.. I remember goin into tower records and all cd's at the time in separate bins like video.. 28 years ago a music store was mostly vinyl.. Jeez im getting old.. Violin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »

5/5 Excellent compilation and great sound and 2 new tracks.. This the 1st cd I ever bought along with BB 1985.. I wasn't sold on the new technology..  Like vinyl too much.. And the album art of course to.. I remember goin into tower records and all cd's at the time in separate bins like video.. 28 years ago a music store was mostly vinyl.. Jeez im getting old.. Violin
I have fond memories of those days. What a drag it is getting old.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 12:08:58 AM »

I can't fault this collection, gets the biggest hits along with a couple new tracks; David Leaf's liner notes are well written. Brian looks just like he did in 1966 on that back cover photo!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx