gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:39:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Made In USA
5 - 15 (35.7%)
4 - 15 (35.7%)
3 - 7 (16.7%)
2 - 3 (7.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In USA  (Read 29642 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:42 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Made In USA, released August 1986.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:10:52 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »

My 2nd BB LP and still a favorite. It had Heroes And Villains, what can you say?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:57:52 PM »

5 for the music, 3 for the lack of many other great songs.
Peter Tomatz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:32:25 AM »

I've got to give it a five for being one of the better sounding Beach Boys CDs on the market.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 08:20:45 PM »

5 for the great pics of Brian in it  Grin
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 05:52:38 AM »

My very first BB album, which makes it a 5 to me.  Plus I totally love the two new tracks.  California Dreaming is better here than by the Mamas and Papas to me -- the vocals are made for the BB, and Roger McGuinn's guitar is wondrous.  Though since then I HAVE heard the Free Design version, which is nice as well...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 07:56:53 AM »

One of the few places where R&R to the Rescue can be heard.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 06:29:22 PM »

5 for the great pics of CARL on it. Wink
Jason
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 07:59:45 AM »

Boo-yah to the extended Beach Party mix of Rock And Roll To The Rescue.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 02:23:22 PM »

A great introduction for uninitiated.  5.
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »

My first cd of them (so long ago) and a great introduction on a single disc.  Additionally the liner notes are worthwhile too for beginners.  I am sure that this one is long out of print and has been replaced more than once with other comps, but this one was probably the best one until the most recent single disc hits package.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »

Great overview of the hits.  I can't say that I am to crazy about the new tunes (R&R To The Rescue and California Dreaming) but worse things were sure to come!!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 09:18:57 AM »

This album scarred me.  For real.  It was the first BB album I ever bought -- as a cassette in 1987.  I loved it, listened to it constantly.  So how did it scar me?

It scarred me by giving the distinct impression that after 1967 the Beach Boys made no music that was worthy of inclusion on a greatest hits compilation.  Aside from the two "new" songs (R & R to the Rescue and California Dreamin) the only post-67 cuts on this album are Do It Again, Rock and Roll Music (which may be the worst track the BBs ever recorded), Come Go with Me, and Getcha Back.  Wild Honey, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & the Passions, Holland, Love You, Light Album, and KTSA are completely unrepresented on this comp.  No songs written by Brian after 1968.  No songs written by Carl or Dennis at all.

In a way this album really fits perfectly with Mike Love's current vision of the Beach Boys -- confined strictly to their Top 40 powerhouse era (1962-66), with a few oldies covers and the only new songs being attempts to recapture the "fun n' sun" sound. 

Because of this album, I had absolutely no idea that the Beach Boys made so much incredible music from 1967-80.  If this had included "Darlin'," "This Whole World," "Surf's Up," "Marcella," "Sail on Sailor," "The Night Was So Young," "Good Timin" -- I would have gotten into the rest of the Beach Boys' catalog about 10 years earlier than I did.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »

My first BB purchase. It gets a 5 from me. I wore this tape out, completely.
beachboyphil
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 02:47:18 PM »

One of the few places where R&R to the Rescue can be heard.

my favourite late period Beach Boys song, brilliant Smiley
MBE
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 04:27:09 AM »

It was a hits comp so it had a lot of top 40 tracks. It wasn't the kind of comp to get for a complete overview, it wasn't ment to be. I like it but would change 3 things.
One mix on WIBN
Two Chronological order corrected,
Three 45 mix of RnR music.

Give it props for included all the Pet Sounds and Smiley 45s
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 01:38:03 PM »

I'm surprised Darlin' wasn't on this.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 06:20:55 AM »

True, it's one very good GH-compilation. I absolutely love RnRTTR. One of Brian's best lead-vocals EVER. The design is very nice. Cool pics of the boys.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure that this was my first introduction to The Beach Boys. I had it on cassette, about two or three years after it came out. I still have the original cassette, but it barely plays.  LOL The most important thing about this greatest hits compilation was that it had Heroes and Villians. "H&V" was the very first recording that showed me that this Brian Wilson charactor might have something special about him. This was a big monumential revelation for my five year old mind. As a result, "Made In USA" will always have a soft spot in my heart.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »

My very first Beach Boys cd. Lots of great memories of listening to this back in 10th grade. My first time ever to hear 'Heroes and Villains', and THAT experience alone is worth a 5.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »

This was the first Beach Boys release that I bought with my own money. All in all, it was the aural equivalent of blonde hair, warm summer sun and seeing really cute girls walking around in their swimwear.

The only revelation here, for me, was "heroes & Villains." I was 11 when I got this and that song make me do a double-take. Have to admit to liking "Getcha Back."
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »

4.  This was the first album I ever got by the Beach Boys.  Since then I've been hooked.  My favorite track was California Dreamin'. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »

Heroes was on a copy of 'Beach Boys Forever' (greatest hits) and it was the first time I had heard it...w/ all the other hits, this one made me wonder, what the heck was that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »

There are worse BBs compilations out there, but it almost brings tears to my eyes that 'Getcha Back' is on here and 'The Warmth of the Sun' isn't. What were they thinking? A 3.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »

There are worse BBs compilations out there, but it almost brings tears to my eyes that 'Getcha Back' is on here and 'The Warmth of the Sun' isn't. What were they thinking? A 3.

Well, Getcha Back was a Top 30 hit, and was their most current hit at the time the set was compiled. The Warmth of The Sun was a B-Side/album track that didn't chart.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx