gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 05:59:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newly surfaced 1978 Australian show?  (Read 5442 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:09:39 AM »

I REALLY don't want this topic to get deleted, but it treads on very shakey grounds. There is a certain recently created blog which currently has a show for download that is claimed to be from Perth, 1978. I have never heard this particular recording. It is NOT the show that is circulating on DVD, and it is NOT the currently circulating show where Carl apologises for his behaviour. On this "new" recording, Carl does a very terrible job at "singing" Darlin'. He misses most of the second verse for some reason, and there seems to be some odd commotion going on during this section. It sounds like something falls down. Also of note is a horrible version of Wouldn't It Be Nice, with what sounds like a plastered Brian singing in a deep bass voice. Also  on this recording is the version of God Only Knows that was a "bonus track" on a certain Hawaii 1967 bootleg. Is this recording new to the public, or is it old news that I have somehow missed? 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:39:29 AM »

Discussing live recordings or bootlegs is just fine.

As for the topic itself. I've heard about it, and it probably circulates, but not widely as far as I know.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:30:33 AM »

It sounds like something falls down.
Carl, perhaps?  Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:15:29 AM »

probably the famous Perth show-that he apologized for the next day.  The video that circulates is from Melbourne-taped for TV
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »

Ian is correct, the show on the website is the Perth Entertainment Centre show on 14 March 1978 ... and includes the sound of a (reportedly) stumbling over Carl. Just about all the shows from the 1978 Australian & New Zealand tour are in circulation, in one form or another, the two most prominent being the Perth 15 March '78 show which was booted under the "Surfin' Down Under" title and the Melbourne Myer Music Bowl show from either the 8th or 9th of March that year, the recording in circuation of Melbourne is a selected portion of the show which was recorded for television.  There is also sitting in the vaults of TV New Zealand, and unseen for 30 years, pristine copies of the Auckland show.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »

Christchurch. The Auckland show was not taped as I remember.

I suggested Ian contact TVNZ earlier this year. Any luck Ian?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:25:12 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »

Here's what circulates from the 1978 Australia/New Zealand tour.

2/28 Queen Elizabeth Stadium, Christchurch, NZ (50 minutes)
3/5 Festival Hall, Brisbane, QLD, Australia (85 minutes)
3/9 Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne, VIC, Australia (55 minutes)
3/14 Perth Entertainment Centre, Perth, WA, Australia (90 minutes)
3/15 Perth Entertainment Centre, Perth, WA, Australia (90 minutes)

The 3/14 show that's being referred to as "newly surfaced" has been around for years.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

The 3/14 show that's being referred to as "newly surfaced" has been around for years.

Honestly no one keeps better track of what's around then yourself.
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »

I got ears, ya know? I hear things. Smiley

That, and I've way too much time on my hands sometimes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »

Sorry for the confusion.  Smiley I asked about the show where Carl passed out, or fell down, on this very message board about a year ago, and was told that it did not circulate. Obviously somebody was wrong.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:32:44 PM »

There is also sitting in the vaults of TV New Zealand, and unseen for 30 years, pristine copies of the Auckland show.
Several months ago I offered to bank roll whatever is needed to view and/or copy the films. The offer still stands.

MBE
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »

Sorry for the confusion.  Smiley I asked about the show where Carl passed out, or fell down, on this very message board about a year ago, and was told that it did not circulate. Obviously somebody was wrong.
For what it's worth I think we were talking about the film of it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »

I would do Mafia jobs to see that film.  Grin

MBE
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

we all hope it doesn't come to that. Grin
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »

For what it's worth I think we were talking about the film of it.

For what its worth ... I have good reason to believe that there is more "out there" of the Australian and New Zealand 78 tour - its just in the hands of private collectors who guard it carefully. I have seen a list of what one person has who was very, very, very close to the 78 tour and there are more shows and more TV footage than we know of. The above list is pretty much all that is out there in the public domain. The 3/15 Perth show and the abbreviated 3/9 Melbourne shows are the only ones that ever made "commercial" bootleg release - the others have all seeped out of private collections over the years.

Sorry about the error with the NZ show, off the top of my head I said Auckland when I should have said Christcurch ... oh well, at least I didn't say Wellington!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »

Actually, the specific recording that this topic is about was downloaded from a "commercial" bootleg. Unless somebody mis-matched the bootleg artwork with a different show.

One question I have is, what exact song did Carl pass out/fall down during? Or was it between songs? I've heard that Carl fell into the drums during Darlin'. Listening to the recording, there IS a chunck of vocals missing. But why would Carl be all the way back by the drums during a song he was singing lead on? I don't know why I'm so curios about that.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »

Curious...Are any of these down under gigs worth pursuing?  Sound quality wise, etc? 

Yes...probably a stupid question to ask a bunch of beach boy fanatics....and even dumber for a beach boy junkie to ask!   Tongue

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »

we all hope it doesn't come to that. Grin

My understanding is that the film of Carl's infamous collapsing gig will never be shown... because it cannot be shown.

Unless there are safeties, of course.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »

I've heard that Carl fell into the drums during Darlin'. Listening to the recording, there IS a chunck of vocals missing. But why would Carl be all the way back by the drums during a song he was singing lead on? I don't know why I'm so curios about that.
There was probably some stumbling involved. It wasn't like he dropped straight down from where he was standing. One of the two Aus. '78 shows I have on video features a very unsteady Carl, his ability to balance on his feet is real shaky...and he does actually stumble more than once. I don't have the show in which he actually fell to the floor, however, from the footage I do have i can easily imagine him stumbling backwards, trying to get his balance and ending up near the drum riser as he fell. In these BB's concerts Dennis seems much healthier and physically together than his brothers, which probably only means he had a higher tolerance for the substances they were sharing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »

I've heard that Carl fell into the drums during Darlin'. Listening to the recording, there IS a chunck of vocals missing. But why would Carl be all the way back by the drums during a song he was singing lead on? I don't know why I'm so curios about that.
There was probably some stumbling involved. It wasn't like he dropped straight down from where he was standing. One of the two Aus. '78 shows I have on video features a very unsteady Carl, his ability to balance on his feet is real shaky...and he does actually stumble more than once. I don't have the show in which he actually fell to the floor, however, from the footage I do have i can easily imagine him stumbling backwards, trying to get his balance and ending up near the drum riser as he fell. In these BB's concerts Dennis seems much healthier and physically together than his brothers, which probably only means he had a higher tolerance for the substances they were sharing.
I was just wondering, because Darlin' is a fast paced song. You need to be close to the mike, you know what I mean? On the one Australian show I've seen, Carl is quite unsteady. When he takes a bow(I think after Surfer Girl), Dennis has his arm around Carl, and literally has to help him up. You mention that you have, or have seen, two films from that tour. May I ask for more details? I only know of one show that is circulating.

MBE
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 04:40:01 AM »

Dennis isn't in near the shape he was for sat the Summer of 1976 special but you are right he is the picutre of health next to his brothers. Such an odd film. Anyhow listening to Darlin is wild. Honestly its the worst thing I ever heard Carl do by far. I think he does fall during it listening close.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »

Dennis isn't in near the shape he was for sat the Summer of 1976 special but you are right he is the picutre of health next to his brothers. Such an odd film. Anyhow listening to Darlin is wild. Honestly its the worst thing I ever heard Carl do by far. I think he does fall during it listening close.

Someone (Steve Gaines ?) described his singing as "Elmer Fudd on valium": hilarious... and sadly, entirely accurate.

Jason
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 08:54:43 AM »

Andrew brings up a good point - if there's anyone we should ask about the 1978 Australia/New Zealand tour and its related footage, it's Mr. Gaines.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »

Someone (Steve Gaines ?) described his singing as "Elmer Fudd on valium": hilarious... and sadly, entirely accurate.
C'mon bro...credit where credit is due...that was my line...pg. 176 Real Beach Boy book.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »

C'mon bro...credit where credit is due...that was my line...pg. 176 Real Beach Boy book.

Oops... my considerable bad. I am abject.  Undecided

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx