gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:42:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS PBS 'AMERICAN MASTERS' SPECIAL IS IN THE WORKS  (Read 34841 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »

Hmmm...  I recorded the shows, and haven't had time to watch yet.  However, I read this criticism on another board this morning.  Maybe AMERICAN MASTERS isn't the panacea we've thought it was; this assessment sounds awfully familiar:

I finished watching "Sam Cooke: Crossing Over" some hours ago and enjoyed it, albeit with minor complaints. Although in retrospect, I understand why such matters exist - primarily running time.

<Rant: On>

My biggest complaint was lack of detail regarding certain subjects. It was sufficient to satisfy a Sam Cooke newcomer, but not devoted fans. For example, we're told Sam's Copacabana appearances were a minor disaster and a triumph. However, we're not informed of what factors led to respective failures and successes. Viewers are told, but not shown. To repeat oneself, lack of supporting details can be attributed to running time.

Secondly, if you're going to license the minimal television footage of Sam Cooke in existence, it would be wonderful not to view brief excerpts. (Understandably, filmmakers cannot include complete performances within a 60m documentary.) Multiple times viewers watch footage, all too soon interrupted by irritating audience shots (inserted by filmmakers, not the material itself). Particular footage highlights include a copy of Sam Cooke singing "Basin Street Blues" with Howard Keel and bantering with Dick Clark and Mike Douglas. With certain footage used, it's used out of context. (For example, footage of "Tennessee Waltz" on "Shindig!" is implied to be 1964 Copacabana footage.)

The latter portion of "Sam Cooke: Crossing Over" tends to scramble event chronology, perhaps for purposes of dramatic license. At one time, we're in June 1964, hearing of Sam's nightclub triumph. We're then transported to Summer 1963, hearing of Vincent Cooke's death. We're then transported to January 1964 to Sam's composing "A Change Is Gonna Come", before final transportation to December 1964.

<Rant: Off>

For the most part, I enjoyed the program. As stated above, it's optimal for Sam Cooke newcomers but somewhat redundant for passionate fans. I eventually hope to view a 90 to 120 minute documentary, extensively detailing Sam's career. Although for now, I'm happy with what we can get.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »

Just came across another slam at American Masters:

American Masters ain't what it used to be IMO.
What with "commercials" and local station puff pieces I'd guess we had about 50 minutes of documentary. Not enough for a complicated tale like Cooke's. The gospel years got shortchanged, the song clips were tiny and the interviews - while delightful in spots - afforded almost no chance for elaboration. PBS has done better and given 30-60 minutes more could have served this pivotal artist much better.
A pale shadow of Guralnick's book at best.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx