gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:56:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS PBS 'AMERICAN MASTERS' SPECIAL IS IN THE WORKS  (Read 34872 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »

...and the fragile ties between Michael and Al and now Michael and David make the situation less hopeful.

All Brian Wilson has to do is put two letters together - O and K - and you'd be amazed how quickly the various relationships become settled. police
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

Of course, the reunion could always take place on December 28, 2012..

Ha! I believe the actual date is December 21, 2012. Maybe it is the Beach Boys reunion that causes the end of the world!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:51:06 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jason
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »

It would make for the best PR the band's had in years!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2009, 05:29:49 PM »

And something else to blame on Mike!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »

Of course, the reunion could always take place on December 28, 2012..

Ha! I believe the actual date is December 21, 2012. Maybe it is the Beach Boys reunion that causes the end of the world!

I like the idea of the re-union taking place a week AFTER the end of the world, seems more fitting somehow...                                                                                                                                               
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:18:31 PM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »

This would be especially cool if the world ended due to a second ice age. This way the cover of "Keepin The Summer Alive" could at last become reality!
Jason
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »

And the cover of the Keepin' The Summer Alive album would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »

And the world of ice will be ruled by evil overload Mike Love and his army of non-surfing hodad monsters, while good Prince Brian will be locked in a dungeon with the secrets of the universe.
Jason
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »

Wow, you just likened the Beach Boys' saga to the Amber saga! Impressive. Smiley
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »

IF, on and off, Brian isn't keen on a reunion maybe it has nothing to do with the remaining Boys but has to do with his brothers not being there. MAYBE on some level he would love to do it but on another level there is an emotional stumbling block.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wilsonista
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »

IF, on and off, Brian isn't keen on a reunion maybe it has nothing to do with the remaining Boys but has to do with his brothers not being there. MAYBE on some level he would love to do it but on another level there is an emotional stumbling block.

Well said.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »

What would make me happiest isn't really a concert or a documentary (though I wouldn't complain!)

what if the guys just headed over to Al's ranch for the afternoon, had a few beers, no cameras, no reporters...just hanging out as buddies, reminiscing, maybe playing some old records...

us fans wouldn't find out until a few months later at best...but we might notice a friendlier tone in interviews, perhaps a surprise Brian cameo at a Mike and Bruce show! 

and we'd know that after all the problems, all the drugs, all the lawsuits, a couple guys could still hang out and, to paraphrase that old Beach Boy's song, "Be Chill"

I fan can dream, right? 
Wilsonista
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »

What would make me happiest isn't really a concert or a documentary (though I wouldn't complain!)

what if the guys just headed over to Al's ranch for the afternoon, had a few beers, no cameras, no reporters...just hanging out as buddies, reminiscing, maybe playing some old records...

us fans wouldn't find out until a few months later at best...but we might notice a friendlier tone in interviews, perhaps a surprise Brian cameo at a Mike and Bruce show! 

and we'd know that after all the problems, all the drugs, all the lawsuits, a couple guys could still hang out and, to paraphrase that old Beach Boy's song, "Be Chill"

I fan can dream, right? 

Yes, yes and yes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2009, 05:47:25 AM »

I like the hanging out in a room and talking and playing the piano, maybe strumming on some guitars. Like the Anthology, or even like the hotel tape (or the campfire sessions). Everyone could make fun of everyone else, tell some stories, and maybe have some closure.

They should do it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yoEEN0tBQ&feature=player_embedded#at=70

In fact I think it would be a cool ending if you have a documentary with the guys sitting together in a room, having fun and making music and afterwards you'll see them leaving the room, each heading their own way again. No reunion-concert (although that would be nice), just clips from their individual shows. You know what I mean ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »

As far as a doc is concerned, I think the BBs deserve the same treatment Scorsese (sp?) gave Dylan.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »

As far as a doc is concerned, I think the BBs deserve the same treatment Scorsese (sp?) gave Dylan.

Hear, hear! Shocked

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »

Mike Love says that a new Beach Boys retrospective is in the works for PBS' American Masters series in commemoration of the band's 50th anniversary which falls in 2011.

Personally I'm still waiting for Mike to deliver his pet project that he mentioned way back in Goldmine, 1992.

A documentary featuring America's band on tour, starring The Beach Boys' cheerleaders! The music would provide the backdrop to the girls rehearsing and auditioning, getting their costumes fitted. "Don't Worry Baby" plays in the backround while the girls are getting made-up for "Be True To Your School". Cameras the cut to them on the bus, flying in the plane, and backstage before a show. Cue to one of the girls on the phone to her partner. Basically a view of The Beach Boys through the eyes of the cheerleaders.

It's sure to sell a million units.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »

I remember reading that article at the time, but not that particular brainstorm. I guess there really are at least TWO geniuses in (one of) the old lineup(s)!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »

I remember reading that article at the time, but not that particular brainstorm.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who read it!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2010, 06:56:36 AM »

What about a "reunion lite?"

I'm thinking of a new online single by Brian, written by Wilson/Love, with a special guest vocal by Mike Love.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2010, 05:07:05 AM »

What about a "reunion lite?"

I'm thinking of a new online single by Brian, written by Wilson/Love, with a special guest vocal by Mike Love.
I'd take whatever I can get, and this would certainly be better than nothing... and it would open up a big hall of 'what will this lead to' for all of us to discuss...  Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »

The new American Masters show airing tonight:  Sam Cooke: Crossing Over

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-sam-cooke11-2010jan11,0,4101248.story?track=rss
(Click here, if only to see the great photo of Sam in the studio with Cassius Clay!)

The PBS series takes a respectful look at the life and death of the silky smooth singer, first in gospel and then in pop.

By Randy Lewis
January 11, 2010

Pop music has rarely sounded more elegantly silky than when Sam Cooke sang "You Send Me," the dreamily romantic 1957 hit that first put the Chicago singer and songwriter at the top of the national sales chart and primed him for a key role as African Americans started to assert real power in the music business.

That role was cut short when Cooke was shot and killed outside a Watts motel room in December 1964, a sad finale to a life that had been blessed with a remarkable musical gift.

The circumstances of his life are given more weight than his artistry in "Sam Cooke: Crossing Over," a new one-hour documentary for PBS' "American Masters" series airing tonight on KCET-TV Channel 28 and on Jan. 26 on KOCE-TV Channel 50. Producer-director John Antonelli, co-producer D. Channsin Berry and writer Noland Walker deliver a solid primer on their subject, starting with his upbringing in the Windy City as one of eight children of a Pentecostal minister....
                                                                                    ..........................

.........The major drama of Cooke's life story is that such nobler aspirations ran in tandem with the earthly temptations that ultimately led to his downfall. The show quickly relates the facts surrounding his death at age 33 -- his meeting with a woman who turned out to be a prostitute and their trek to a motel, where he was shot and killed by the manager after the woman fled with Cooke's pants, and money.

There are film snippets of testimony from the woman and the manager but nothing about the controversy that surrounded the investigation or the myriad theories that have proliferated over the years.

"American Masters" leaves that to the likes of biographer Peter Guralnick, who explored those details in much greater depth in his 2005 biography "Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke."

Absent the deeper examination of an extraordinary talent, we're left with a take on Cooke that's respectable and eminently respectful, but something short of masterful.

randy.lewis@latimes.com
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

Yeah, we can dream  Roll Eyes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »

Wow!  Just noticed that here in L.A., they are showing the Marvin Gaye American Masters after Sam Cooke!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »

Yeah, we can dream  Roll Eyes

I'M DREAMIN'!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx