gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:51:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS PBS 'AMERICAN MASTERS' SPECIAL IS IN THE WORKS  (Read 34833 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »

This ran this morning in Howie Edelson's nationally syndicated radio feed...

11/30/09

BEACH BOYS PBS 'AMERICAN MASTERS' SPECIAL IS IN THE WORKS
by Howie Edelson

Mike Love says that a new Beach Boys retrospective is in the works for PBS' American Masters series in commemoration of the band's 50th anniversary which falls in 2011.

Love says that all eras of the band's history will be represented, with the principle bandmembers -- Love, Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce Johnston -- being featured through new and archival interviews and footage: "Well, I think the PBS special is absolutely going to happen, because there's so much existing footage. And it just entails some really nice interviews with the guys and culling stuff from the past. You get Carl (Wilson) involved there and Dennis (Wilson) involved and David Marks (laughs), y'know? So there's a lot of. . . I think there's a lot of -- in fact there is some dialogue with one of the producers at PBS and the American Masters program is definitely something, I think, should be done and will be done."

When asked about the program and the 50th anniversary being the springboard for the first attempted collaboration with cousin Brian Wilson in 15 years, Love -- as always -- remains open and willing for the legendary team to reunite: "The thing is with Brian, he's been doing a solo kind of deal for the last, oh, maybe 10 years now. But with Brian and myself, I honestly believe that we go back so far it transcends or goes beyond any of the dubious history -- y'know the water that's going over the dam in the last 20, 30 years or so. And when we are able to get together without any distractions, his abilities and my abilities are able to compliment each other pretty darn well -- as evidenced by all of the hits and great music we've done together."

When pressed about the possibility of the 50th anniversary celebrations being built around new Wilson-Love songs rather than solely an oldies show with the band's survivors, Love said: "Y'know, I have a very positive attitude towards getting together with Brian. And there have been some negative things that have gone on between us, but they weren't really between us, they were out of the control of each of us, so those things that were points of contention are in the past. So there's nothing but -- as far as I'm concerned -- the sky's the limit and very open to what you're suggesting."

There's been no official word on whether plans are in motion for the 50th anniversary reunion shows which have been previously mentioned by Love. Although the main players of a proposed reunion would be based around the Beach Boys' '60s lineups, Love was very open to '70s members Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar also participating.

Early industry rumors suggested that the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary might be a combination of both American Masters and Great Performances, combining both a new documentary with a live show of some sort.

Brian Wilson last performed with the Beach Boys in 1996. Carl Wilson died in 1998, Al Jardine was forced out of the band the same year. Dennis Wilson drowned in 1983.

The Beach Boys' company Brother Records Inc. (BRI), was formed in 1967 and is owned and controlled by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, and the estate of the late Carl Wilson. Shortly after co-founder Dennis Wilson's death in 1983, his estate sold his shares back to the band to repay loans.

Mike Love, who continues to tour with Bruce Johnston, was granted the exclusive license by BRI to tour under the Beach Boys name. Although he is the only partner in the group out on the road, Brian Wilson, Jardine, and Carl Wilson's estate receive a percentage from each Beach Boys tour.

David Marks, who began making music with the Wilsons as a pre-teen, was a member of the Beach Boys from 1961 to 1963 and one of the five names on the band's original contract to Capitol Records. In 1990 Marks contributed to Brian Wilson's unreleased second solo album Sweet Insanity. Marks rejoined the Beach Boys in 1997 and stayed for three years. He occasionally sits in with the touring version of the Beach Boys, and now regularly appears in concert with fellow Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine.

Guitarist Blondie Chaplin has been a part of the Rolling Stones' touring band since 1997, and Ricky Fataar now drums for Bonnie Raitt, among others.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »

If it's done properly, and that's a big 'if', given the participants and their history, it could be outstanding.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »

This could indeed be awesome if done correctly. Mike obviously has to get Brian onside which will probably be quite hard but what about Al, what is his current relationship with Mike like?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

Apparently they're on good terms again.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »

Awesome.  Hopefully there'll be a CD set to accompany it ala Anthology.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:52:45 PM »

In 1990 Marks contributed to Brian Wilson's unreleased second solo album Sweet Insanity.

Not really on topic, but that's something I never knew before.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:55:05 PM »

Whatever it is, anything new is better than nothing! (Except another greatest-hits-only cd!)  Grin
Paulos
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

I once did a search on amazon for Beach Boys greatest hits/best ofs, I got to around fifty before I became bored and also saddened.

Back on topic, good to see Mike is open to having Ricky and Blondie involved.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »

If you read the article carefully, the special doesn't seem to be a done deal. No one from PBS is quoted or mentioned. It's an aspiration of Mike's, and one he and Bruce have talked about a lot. But Mike was talking about the same thing in the early 90s -- does anyone remember "Unplugged in Paradise"?

I will go out on a limb and say it is in no way, shape or form going to happen. There might -- might -- be a documentary. But the chances of Brian suddenly wanting to collaborate on a song or album with Mike? Very low.

Plus, given Brian's Disney deal, 2010 will be taken up with the Gershwin project. 2011 will likely be the Disney album. And then, whoops, the anniversary has passed. Darn.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »

In 1990 Marks contributed to Brian Wilson's unreleased second solo album Sweet Insanity.

Not really on topic, but that's something I never knew before.

In Brian's "autobiography", there is a photo of David and Brian together in the studio from '90.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »

I will say this about the Lovester-his interviews or comments of late seem to be much more polite than in years past. You know, back in the day, he'd say something like 'I was ripped off by the Wilson clan. They've deserved everything they've gotten'. Not exactly like that, but you get the point. He seems much more gracious these days.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »

Yes, well, he has something he wants. And that something is Brian Wilson adding legitimacy to a Beach Boys 50th anniversary celebration.

Not saying he doesn't also want to put the past behind him, etc., but there are ulterior motives aplenty.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »

If Brain doesn't collaborate in any way for a 50th anniversary special, he will definitely lose some of my sympathy.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:55:11 PM by Stegibo » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:14:14 PM »

If you read the article carefully, the special doesn't seem to be a done deal. No one from PBS is quoted or mentioned. It's an aspiration of Mike's, and one he and Bruce have talked about a lot. But Mike was talking about the same thing in the early 90s -- does anyone remember "Unplugged in Paradise"?

I will go out on a limb and say it is in no way, shape or form going to happen.
Well while you're out there on your limb you should be armed with the facts. The fact is PBS has recently reached out to the BB's about doing a special, and that info didn't come from Mike, he only confirmed it.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »

If Brain doesn't collaborate in any way for a 50th anniversary special, he will definitely lose some of my sympathy.
Oh, Oh!! Watch out Brian! This guy could be big trouble!  LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »

Jon -- Be that as it may, it's not reflected in the article you asked us to read. The only source quoted is Mike. There are not even any anonymous sources from PBS. The only source that I'm able to scrutinize is Mike and his comments. And nothing he says suggests a deal has been finalized -- only that it's possible.

Given Mike's record of, in the past, talking about all sorts of business and entertainment deals -- Unplugged in Paradise, Club Kokomo -- that have not panned out (not to mention the BBs organization and the never-materialized BB Central) I therefore take Mike's word for what it's worth. Not too much.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:11:40 PM by claymcc » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »

Could someone tell me what the idea behind "Unplugged in Paradise", "Club Kokomo" and "BBs organization" was?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
MBE
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »

Unplugged was actually a great idea. It would have been similar to the acoustic 1993 set and the campfire sequence from Endless Summer. Love also stressed he wanted a vinyl version, and in 1993 that was rare and it made me stop hating him lol. Actually it really is too bad that it didn't happen because I think it would have proved to people that the Beach Boys still had talent.  It would have presented them a natural creative manner.

The PBS special could be a great final chapter. If it is done well and everybody takes part I think we could have something fantastic. Oh and if "Brian" says no don't be pissed. "Brian" doesn't make that kind of decision.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »

Club Kokomo was a themed restaurant chain Love wanted to start up. The BB organization isn't something special -- I just meant the group's management. It started up the BB Central website, promising great things (potentially unreleased) and it's been -- what -- three years now?

I also don't mean to sound too grouchy. I think such a project could be decent. But Brian has clearly and forcefully stated his opposition to taking part in a reunion enough times to make me think that the wifeandmanagers would only push for it if there was some clear benefit to BW. And I don't think there is, at least right now.

On the other hand, a documentary would be okay, but I don't know how or why it would be better than Endless Harmony or some of the other docs floating around. It would still be an hour or so just skimming over the guys' life and career. What have they done in the last decade that's worth adding?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:24:35 PM by claymcc » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 04:36:48 PM »

Club Kokomo was a themed restaurant chain Love wanted to start up. The BB organization isn't something special -- I just meant the group's management. It started up the BB Central website, promising great things (potentially unreleased) and it's been -- what -- three years now?

I also don't mean to sound too grouchy. I think such a project could be decent. But Brian has clearly and forcefully stated his opposition to taking part in a reunion enough times to make me think that the wifeandmanagers would only push for it if there was some clear benefit to BW. And I don't think there is, at least right now.

On the other hand, a documentary would be okay, but I don't know how or why it would be better than Endless Harmony or some of the other docs floating around. It would still be an hour or so just skimming over the guys' life and career. What have they done in the last decade that's worth adding?
Exactomundo Smokin
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »

First of all, I think that if all the pieces fall into place, a Beach Boys 'American Masters' special would be nothing short of revelatory. With the show's track record of high quality and the band's (steadily growing) extraordinary archive -- it would be hard to miss. But let's not confuse a brilliant new retrospective with a reunion concert.  A PBS retrospective was all that Mike was talking about.

Claymcc seems to have some trust issues with Mike that he needs to work on (or not), but the fact remains that there are always A LOT of projects going on around the band; be it the individual members, projects in the works from within their company, pitches from their record label, not to mention outside projects from the BB's associates. Some of the people here know about some of them -- others know about even more. There are a lot of people here who knew for a while that PBS was taking a major interest in spotlighting the band. Claymcc did not -- no biggie.

Taking umbrage with Mike Love talking about/revealing too much about either projects he wants to initiate, or projects that eventually lost steam for various reasons is silly. Mike isn't out to "screw you" by promising "fake projects." Mike finally says all the right things, and in my opinion for all the right reasons, and he's STILL a villain -- not to mention a liar???

I don't get that. You'd really have to WANT to make that one stick to stick. No?

Jason
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »

Brian-centric viewpoints cloud judgments.
SG7
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

I would like to be surprised if this goes well, I do.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »

I just want SOMETHING to happen for the anniversary. The Beach Boys need as much attention as the Beatles get -actually I wish the public perception of the two bands was reversed....sorry, but it's true.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SG7
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

I thought the rooftop thing was nice enough personally! Trust me as much as it would be nice for this to happen, I don't see the point in it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx