gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 04:46:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knebworth DVD missing title track.  (Read 5303 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »

This is the first time I have seen  'Good Timin' from Knebworth. The copy here is raw and untouched yet sounds pretty good.  Brian's best vocal and keyboard of the gig IMO. Now wonder more why it was not on the release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rf59cqgPGE
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »

I think that Brian's vocal is EXACTLY why it wasn't included. His part adds nothing and makes it sound different than the album release version. In fact, he ruined the song for me with his vocal additions.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »

Fair enough. But was 'Sloop' or 'Surfer Girl' much better? I like the delivery myself and he looks more engaged for the new song than the oldies, as he still does now.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »

I actually like what he added to Good Timin', I sing it on the album cut when i listen to it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:21:20 AM »

I think if Carl was still alive we wouldn't have had any of this concert released. This is the same guy who refused to allow Soulful Old Man Sunshine on the box set due to a flubbed line. Needless to say, Knebworth's much more catastrophic.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »

I kinda concur, I was just listening to the 'un-doctored' version, and without studio help, KTSA (his own track), isn't too great, backing vocal wise, they added more in the studio & the guitar solo sounds different to me...I could be wrong though.   3D

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »

I recall Brian's part on good timin from the (was it 1980?) show at the DC mall for July 4th.  The one that was shown on HBO.   I liked that and if Knebworth was similar, I'm sorry it wasn't released.   I think the people making the editing decisions are not making them for the hard core fans.  I'm bored with the knebbworth disc and I would probably watch more if the foda title track was included.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

since we're on the subject of this concert, i have a question, and maybe only 'official' people know, but when doing the studio cleanup, did they also clean up the others left off the album (i.e. I write the Songs, Santa Ana Winds, In My Room, and Some of Your Love)

BTW, gave In My Room a listen, it's really not bad, just kinda awkward because it sounds like Bruce on lead, am I  correct? It's odd to my hears to hear him on early material that's less celebrated

~post of the century~
-Mikie

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »

I don't think Brian's vocal does much harm or good here. There are worse bits in the released album/video, and better. It's just ... more. Unfortunately no outtake is going to have a 1965 Brian or early '70s Dennis. 1980 is 1980, for better and worse.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »

The sweetening for Knebworth was done in early 1981 when it was considered for release as a video album. If I remember correctly, Bruce, as producer of the original recordings, produced the sweetening sessions as well. The entire concert was sweetened. The circulating copies of the unedited concert, however, come from two different sources - an unmixed soundboard that someone leaked a few years back, or the Capital Radio 1980 UK radio broadcast. Both of these are unsweetened. The Knebworth CD/DVD uses the 1981 sweetened recordings. Bruce made the final cuts - he did not want I Write The Songs on there as he felt it didn't fit, vetoed Good Timin' and In My Room due to Brian playing different songs on the piano during these performances, and Catch A Wave, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Santa Ana Winds, and Some Of Your Love were also cut due to technical problems and CD length.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »

vetoed Good Timin' and In My Room due to Brian playing different songs on the piano during these performances
The genius of the group, folks. The man can do no wrong. Right? Honestly, I am as much a Brianista as can be in a certain sense, but at the same time, this is the guy in whose hands the band should have been left. All would have been well, yes? The "key of BW" is funny on a certain level, but f***, it's sad.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

Where does he play different on those songs? what's he playing?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jason
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »

Brian's playing something very different at the end of Good Timin', going into In My Room.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »

speaking of In my Room, is there some type of 80s synth or keyboards added to it around the end? it's kinda cheesy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »

They should make available a "for fans only" release of the complete unedited, unsweetened show.  Warts and all.  I like warts!
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 08:59:01 PM »

i wish i knew how to hear the whole show.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »

Brian's playing something very different at the end of Good Timin', going into In My Room.
Everybody gets thrown off during the first verse, because Brian is playing something uptempo, during a ballad. He also plays a little bit of Rapsody in Blue at the very end of California Girls.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 10:45:16 PM »

Oddly enough, the unsweetened version sounds MUCH better to me than the released version.

I think some more "sweetening" was done for its DVD release, due to the large amount of autotune on Mike's vocals.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »

Oddly enough, the unsweetened version sounds MUCH better to me than the released version.

I think some more "sweetening" was done for its DVD release, due to the large amount of autotune on Mike's vocals.

It's sad how often autotune is applied to things nowadays when it's absolutely, 100% not necessary. Mike Love did not need autotune on his voice.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »

Michael's voice at Knebworth was nothing compared to the farce he gave us in 1981-82 when Carl was gone. Bar none, he was never more nasal than at that time.

Listen to 12/4/81 in San Carlos, CA for proof. I Get Around on there is embarrassing in the extreme. Even more than Brian pinching his nose while singing Sloop John B earlier that night.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »

Everybody gets thrown off during the first verse, because Brian is playing something uptempo, during a ballad. He also plays a little bit of Rapsody in Blue at the very end of California Girls.

Was he doing this to foda things up because he didn't really want to be there, or was it because his mood was "elevated" ?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 10:51:29 PM »

To me, Brian seems very bored, and just doesn't want to be there. I can understand him "noodling around" between songs, but why he would continue during a good portion of In My Room, I have no idea.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 02:01:44 AM »

i wish i knew how to hear the whole show.
Released as a non-existent 2CD set on the purely fictitious Stone Age label a few years ago. Not that I'd chose to own a copy even if it existed. Which it doesn't.

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »

Well, I'd like to hear it.  (if it existed, which it doesn't)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »

Now what would this be from? Doco made during the Europe tour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoX1SmknVDs
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx