gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:40:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Famous female composers  (Read 14049 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:17:15 AM »

I was chatting with this guy the other day who starting saying that there are virtually no good female composers. Anyway, to cut a long story short I basically argued that just because he doesn't know any doesn't mean there aren't any good ones. But I myself couldn't think of many off the top of my head (I'm not THAT knowledgeable in regards to who wrote what except for bands that I like) so I was wondering if people could list any famous female composers or even females who have written one big chart hit or whatever. Please note I don't mean lyricists, I mean females who we know for sure composed music.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:30:30 AM »

Laura Nyro. Judee Sill. Sandy Denny (?). Kate & Anna McGarrigle.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:54:06 AM »

The obvious of course:

Carole King, Cynthia Weill, Ellie Greenwich, Joni Mitchell.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »

not sure if Jackie deShannon would fall under this category...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:35:24 AM »

The obvious of course:

...but did King and Will compose the music or write the lyrics, or both? (Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann did their part).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:17:08 AM »

There are some very talented modern females in modern pop: Annie Clark (St. Vincent), Erika Wennerstrom (Heartless Bastards), Lhasa, Joanna Newsom, Inara George. All of them write music, lyrics, and play and sing. Great is a big strong word so it's tough to lump people without long histories into that batch, but a lot of the best stuff coming out is coming from women. PJ Harvey is one who is established and I think appropriate, even though she's not my cup of tea.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »

Zooey Deschanel is my personal favorite.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:02:47 AM »

I like her album, but more for the production (which is M Ward) and playfulness she brings to it. I wouldn't call her anything near a great composer: just enjoyable ... which is fine, considering it's just fucking pop music!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »

Exactly what I like about it too.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

But thus only about half relevant to the thread, if we're talking great female composers.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »

Aretha Franklin writes songs and plays piano -- she's not well-known for it, but she did write "Think," which is an unquestionably great song.
SG7
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »

Kate Bush?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »

Kate Bush?

I concur - and her impressive composing skills shouldn't overshadow the fact that she's also a great lyricist, singer and composer.

Definitely the most talented female musician in my opinion!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »

Wendy Carlos
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »

Wendy Carlos

I see what you did there.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

New She & Him album completed and due out this spring, according to Zooey as quoted in Pitchfork today.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »

I concur, not only is she a great singer, but fun to look at.    Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »

New She & Him album completed and due out this spring, according to Zooey as quoted in Pitchfork today.

YAY!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

I concur, not only is she a great singer, but fun to look at.    Wink
If by "great singer," you mean "fun to look at," then I whole-heartedly agree. (She's actually pretty bad, especially live. But she's cute. I feel bad saying this on a thread originally dedicated to great female composers. Because she's pure pop confection.)

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »

Tori Amos.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »

Perhaps I should elaborate. What I meant with "great female composer" was someone that leaves me with a tune in my head, something memorable and well-crafted. Daschanel fufills those in her songs. No she isn't a serious composer, but my personal favorite at the moment currently. Of all time I think Carole King or to a lesser extent Joni Mitchell fufills it for me.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »

Funny you made this topic. A few months ago, I realized that I didn't have much in the way of female music in my music collection, so I worked on expanding that aspect. The Dresden Dolls have a pretty wild gothic image, but Amanda Palmer sure can write a tune on her piano. Very talented, and the percussion on songs like "Coin-Operated Boy" reminds me of "Vegetables" off of SMiLE. Fiona Apple wrote some interesting music on Extraordinary Machine, I thought, although I don't think she was that involved in the arrangements. The Raincoats self-titled debut album had some interesting compositions, sort of a Captain Beefheart meets the raw pop "we don't know how to play our instruments" simplicity of the Sex Pistols combination.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »

You could argue Carly Simon, Stevie Nicks (one of my faves!), and Christine Mcvie (sp?) fit into the good AND catchy, though maybe Carly isn't really good. I can't tell...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 02:46:33 AM »

Wendy Carlos

I see what you did there.

Funniest. Reply. Ever.  LOL

BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »

The obvious of course:

...but did King and Will compose the music or write the lyrics, or both? (Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann did their part).

I don't think Gerry Goffin even played an instrument.   Carol King was a brilliant composer with out Goffin; Goffin's lyrics are drivel without Carol King. 
my personal opinion
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx