gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:40:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Famous female composers  (Read 13645 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 05:12:17 AM »

taylor swift. she writes all her stuff.

I heard a DJ on the radio today say that her "1989" album is one of the best albums he's ever heard. 

I almost had to pull the car over for laughing so hard. 

Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »

They aren't necessarily famous: Nico & Kirsty MacColl.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 08:10:50 AM »

taylor swift. she writes all her stuff.
And she writes really solid music.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »

While I don't think the word "composers" (even if technically correct, I think in general conversation that term is more associated with serious music than pop, which would imply songwriter as the better word), or that famous is even a category worth thinking much about, I do think it's worth putting out the names of some great female songwriters. And what struck me is how many more I've been listening to in these years since the thread began.

I still would list Joanna Newsom as far and away the best, probably regardless of gender. But as I glance through my past few years' best-ofs, I'd list some other really talented women who write songs and make music. (I know tastes vary, so don't worry if I list someone you hate. Life will go on. I'm not even saying I love everything by these women. Just that they do some good stuff.)

Janelle Monae
Kelis
Robyn
Adele
Fiona Apple
Eleanor Friedberger
Aly Spaltro (Lady Lamb the Beekeeper)
Valerie June
Laura Marling
Kacey Musgraves
Meghan Trainor
Sharon Van Etten
Taylor Swift
Carrie Rodriguez
Courtney Barnett
Esperanza Spalding
Lindi Ortega
Brandy Clark
Ashley Monroe
Julia Holter
Channy Leaneagh (Polica)
Lana Del Rey
Natalie Prass
Azealia Banks
Syd tha Kyd (The Internet)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »

I'm sure very few people will agree with me here, but I'm throwing Lita Ford's name into the mix. 

She's a heck of a guitar player too. 

Also worth mentioning is Amy Lee from Evanesence.  Singer/pianist/songwriter.  Their first album in 2003 called Fallen was very good.  However, their follow-up album suffered from the sophomore slump, and they've had a pretty low profile since. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »

I guess the idea of 'composer' is to be specific about music vs lyric writing.
I can't believe I didn't bring up a couple from The Captain's list. I hang my head in shame.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »

I can't believe I didn't bring up a couple from The Captain's list. I hang my head in shame.

Nah, the one thing you can count on when you make a list is quickly realizing you missed something obvious. As a lifelong best-of list-maker, I can promise that much.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »

They aren't necessarily famous: Nico & Kirsty MacColl.

I thought of Kirsty.  Sam Phillips too.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »

I'm sure very few people will agree with me here, but I'm throwing Lita Ford's name into the mix. 

I have to admit, I only know of her late 80s or early 90s stuff, a couple hits and the famous Ozzy duet. If you can point me to something specific, something worthwhile, I'd love to give it a chance.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »

Hildegard of Bingen.

Good call!

There was a time in the 1960s when at least three British female composers featured quite often on BBC radio----Elisabeth Lutyens, Elizabeth Maconchy and Priaulx Rainier. A later name that comes to mind is that of Judith Weir.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:58:52 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »

Don't think I saw Grace Slick here? Though admittedly she wasn't as prolific on the Plane as were Kantner and Balin.

Now for composer composers, there's always Fanny Mendelssohn.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2016, 04:24:18 PM »

Don't think I saw Grace Slick here? Though admittedly she wasn't as prolific on the Plane as were Kantner and Balin.

Forgive me form getting hoity-toity, but most of the people mentioned in this thread are song writers. Not composers. Big difference.

Amy Beach and Ruth Seeger are among the two greatest which come to my mind.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »

Forgive me form getting hoity-toity, but most of the people mentioned in this thread are song writers. Not composers. Big difference.

I agree on the one hand, but on the other, again, I think the term is being used to distinguish music writing from lyric writing. And technically, one composes pop music as much as one does classical.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »

No hoity-toityness forgiveness required: no sin there. I noted a similar point, myself. But when I scanned the early posts, it was obvious that's what we were talking about (meaning songwriters), so I chalk it up to a terminology issue.

That said, the more traditional understanding of composers also struggles from a lack of appreciation for its females. (Though several have been named in the thread, too.)

KDS
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »

I have to admit, I only know of her late 80s or early 90s stuff, a couple hits and the famous Ozzy duet. If you can point me to something specific, something worthwhile, I'd love to give it a chance.

I've really only scratched the surface with Lita.  I only have one of her Best of albums, and its very good. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »

Didn't see anybody mention Sheryl Crow yet.  She's the definition of a great modern female composer!  Check out "The Difficult Kind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNwlVExyHiw

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2016, 06:40:14 PM »

I agree on the one hand, but on the other, again, I think the term is being used to distinguish music writing from lyric writing. And technically, one composes pop music as much as one does classical.

Sure. And as much goes into an oil painting as a panel of a comic book. No. Technically the two are completely different skill sets.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »

Now if you wanted to throw the title "producer/arranger" into the mix, than you might have a case.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2016, 04:24:19 AM »

I'm a simple soul, so to me they're all women who create their own music.

One big omission so far is Nina Simone...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2016, 07:19:39 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Boulanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OERJAjoHRY
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:45:32 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 07:28:34 AM »

If we're also talking female "classical" composers, two huge names that haven't been mentioned yet are those of the 20th-century Russians Sofia Gubaidulina and Galina Ustvolskaya. Both are worth investigating. Ustvolskaya's music is in a field of one.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »

I'm no fan of Laurie Anderson (too twee and arty for my liking) but I was knocked out by this track of hers as heard on the way back from a brief holiday. It's the percussion that does it (played by Anderson herself). That cowbell effect batters its way into your brain. "Coolsville" comes from her 1989 album Strange Angels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxIoitgXx9g

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »

If we're also talking female "classical" composers, two huge names that haven't been mentioned yet are those of the 20th-century Russians Sofia Gubaidulina and Galina Ustvolskaya. Both are worth investigating. Ustvolskaya's music is in a field of one.
Admittedly, these girls don't ring a bell with me. No way you could meet them on youtube as they must be written in Cyrillic. I assume you are classical music buff, right?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »

Have Fanny Mendelssohn or Clara Schumann been mentioned yet?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »

Yes, check back.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx