gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:23:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Gershwin article  (Read 8417 times)
Spencer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 03:44:04 AM »

woah- did I miss one? what's the other one?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 04:08:49 AM »

A Disney album where Brian will record the "classic" Disney tunes. Who knows what the songs will be, but I'm guessing it will include stuff like "When You Wish Upon A Star" etc.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »

A Disney album where Brian will record the "classic" Disney tunes. Who knows what the songs will be, but I'm guessing it will include stuff like "When You Wish Upon A Star" etc.

I wish he would do 'Heigh Ho' in the arrangement of Tom Waits... now that would be something to look out for...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Spencer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:21 AM »

ah right- I thought he wasp uttign out Gershwin o nthe diney abel I must have missed the part where he talked of doing a disney album- probably thorugh being too excited about him doing Gershwin- still, no points for me
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »

I thought he wasp uttign out Gershwin o nthe diney abel
...what

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 11:55:05 PM »

ah right- I thought he wasp uttign out Gershwin o nthe diney abel I must have missed the part where he talked of doing a disney album- probably thorugh being too excited about him doing Gershwin- still, no points for me

Both albums are coming out on the Disney label Pearl.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »

Noncommunicative, but some nuggets.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20091203/LIFESTYLES01/91203020/Brian+Wilson+interview+reveals+no+plans+past+Gershwin

QUESTION: Have you gotten back into working on the Gershwin project?

WILSON: Yeah.

How was it leaving the project to go on the road? Do you take a tape recorder or note pads so you can work on it?

Yeah. I take a tape recorder with me.

So, how does that work for you? Do you come up with ideas while you’re working?

Well, whenever I get inspired.

Do you have a routine where you sit down to make the inspiration come?

No, it’s just whenever it happens, it happens.

Did it happen?

Yeah. I got some stuff on tape.

Are you pleased with the way that project is going?

Yes.

A lot of people are kind of surprised that you were influenced by Gershwin. Can you recall your first inspiration from the Gershwins?

I first heard Gershwin when I was two years old. Then, later on, I learned how to play that pretty part in “Rhapsody In Blue.”

How old were you when you learned that -- the improvisational part of “Rhapsody,” right?

Yeah. I was 28.

28? So you were already acclaimed as a genius and were looking for something new to do?

Right.

Where did that lead you? Did it make you want to learn more about Gershwin?

No, no. I just learned that part. I really didn’t learn anything else from him.

I know you got this project when you signed with Disney, but, how did you get (to finish) his compositions -- the scraps of them, so to speak?

Well, the Disney people called us and asked if I would like to work on some unfinished tapes, and that’s what we did.

I know the Gershwin estate is very particular about even who gets to give a Gershwin concert. Did you have to go through any type of conversations with the family to assure them...

No. They sent us the tapes.
Can you tell me what your inspiration for those tapes are?

Ah, what my what?

What your inspiration is. Where you’re going to take them.

I have no idea. I’m just working on it now. I haven’t got much done.

Gershwin is so New York and you’re so Southern California, will there be a meeting of geography here?

No. Actually the stuff I’m going to do is completely different from his stuff.

Will it be like what you did with “Lucky Ol’ Sun” -- bringing the Brian Wilson-Beach Boys harmonies to it?

No. We’re just doing piano stuff.

No vocals at all?

No.

So you’re not using any Ira Gershwin material?

No. We’re doing 10 Ira and George Gershwin songs, but we’re doing two unfinished piano things.

I was talking with Barry Manilow, who got some of Johnny Mercer’s unfinished material and turned that into what I think is his best album ever. He told me he thought you were perfect for this project. He calls you a genius.

Great.

You’re performing against him. He’s at (the McCallum Theatre) the night you’re in Rancho Mirage... Ah, you’ve been coming out to Indian Wells for a while now, right?

Right.

How do you feel about playing in this area now that you’re a part-time resident?

You mean, Palm Springs?

Yeah.

I like that place a lot. Yeah.

I know your wife likes to play golf. What have you found enjoyable about your home out here?

In Palm Springs?

Yeah.

Not much. I just like the weather.

So, going back to the Gershwin thing for a moment. I know Phil Ramone is also coming out with a Gershwin project in 2010. Do you feel any pressure to compete with him?

No, no. They will probably be two different kinds of things.

They’ll be coming out around the same time. Do you concern yourself with the practicalities of how a piece does commercially?

Well, yeah. I don’t know if this is going to sell, but they have a lot of money, so they can promote it.

Right. Are you looking at this as something that will top “SMiLE” or “Lucky Ol’ Sun”?

No. It will be a completely different kind of album. It won’t top “SMiLE.” It’s not a concept album. It’s just an album of “Wilson Sings Gershwin.”

(edited out)

Are you working with any collaborators on this Gershwin project?

Well, yeah. I’m working with my friend Paul Mertens. He’s one of my band members. He’s a horn player.

So you’ll have a horn arrangement on this?

He’s going to make the horn and string arrangements for the Gershwin songs that Ira wrote and George wrote.

Are you working on any more popular music in addition to Gershwin now?

No, not really.

Do you know where you’re going to go after that project?

I don’t know.

You have another album to satisfy your contract with Disney, but you don’t know what that’s going to be yet?

No.

OK. Do you ever have ideas that pop into your head that don’t fit the Gershwin project? And, if so, what do you do with them?

Well, you mean if they’re not related to Gershwin?

Yeah.

I just discard them.

Really?

Yeah.

Wow. You write them down but you throw them away?

Actually, my whole project now is Gershwin. Anything not Gershwin, I don’t use.

I would think you’d be afraid of losing some idea that might be valuable in five years to you.

I don’t know.

You’re just so confident that you’re going to come up with new ideas, huh?

Right. right.

How did you get so confident?

I don’t know. I just have a lot of will power and creativity in me.

OK. Well, is there anything else you want to tell me?

No. It’s a great interview. Thank you very much.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 07:33:30 PM »

bet that reporter "Loved" Brian  Roll Eyes

When he's not into it... hes NOT into it!   LOL

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

Paul Mertens is going to make the string and horn arrangements.    Just wondering.....would that make this also a Mertens Gershwin collaboration?

Just sayin/pondering......not to be dismissing Brian's contribution? Shrug
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »

“When we first started touring in 1999, to say that Brian looked like a deer in the headlights would be a pretty accurate description,” said Foskett, who attended UC Santa Barbara in the 1970s before joining the touring Beach Boys. “Now, especially on this last tour, here’s a guy who introduced every single song with a really cute story or a novel bit about when it was written or why it was written. He’s joking with the audience, being funny and really super-engaged. He’s playing piano. It’s just incredible. It may not be incredible for a ‘normal’ performer, but for Brian Wilson it’s way out of the norm. It’s very enlightening and very satisfying to see that.”

Once again, Foskett slighting Brian. Definitely not the first instance - it bothers me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »

You have to feel so sorry for that interviewer - they were trying so hard it hurts but Brian just wasn't playing ball. Damn fine questions, too.

Some nice new info, mind - never knew Melinda was a golfer (possibly not the best time to learn this, mind).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 12:17:53 AM »

"So you’re not using any Ira Gershwin material?

No. We’re doing 10 Ira and George Gershwin songs...."

Huh

OK. Well, is there anything else you want to tell me?

No.

Man, I love Brian.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:19:53 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 02:37:57 AM »

Hmmm... there's an edited version of the interview at http://www.mydesert.com/article/200912030300/lifestyles0101/912020369 - which kind of makes me wonder why they bothered editing it.

If the reporter had wanted, he could have added chunks of background and come up with a half-decent, entertaining feature that didn't seem so negative and "whatever".

Ah well...

“We live in divisive times.”
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »

Paul Mertens is going to make the string and horn arrangements.    Just wondering.....would that make this also a Mertens Gershwin collaboration?

No more than BWPS or TLOS would be considered Wilson/Mertens collaborations. Obviously it's very real and important input, but it will be credited as "strings and horns arranged by..."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 07:36:12 AM »

Some nice new info, mind - never knew Melinda was a golfer (possibly not the best time to learn this, mind).

And she knows about Cadillacs....
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 08:32:56 AM »

Will it be like what you did with “Lucky Ol’ Sun” -- bringing the Brian Wilson-Beach Boys harmonies to it?

No. We’re just doing piano stuff.
I thought there was going to be an acapella Rhapsody in Blue...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »

He has also already talked about needing to do vocal sessions, so it's obviously not all instrumental. I think that he's just referring to the new pieces he's finishing as being instrumentals.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »

"So you’re not using any Ira Gershwin material?

No. We’re doing 10 Ira and George Gershwin songs...."

Huh

I think this is a case of poor punctuation in the printed article. Brian thinks the interviewer is asking about the two "new" unfinished Gershwin pieces when he asks about vocals. Brian responds that they (the new pieces) will just be instrumentals. When the interviewer responds (probably in surprise) with "So, you're not using any Ira Gershwin material (meaning lyrics)?", Brian is probably trying to clarify ( LOL) by saying "No (you misunderstood), we're doing 10 Ira and George Gershwin songs (in addition to the two new instrumentals)".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx