gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681415 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 10:26:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce on guitar  (Read 4909 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »

I've heard that when Bruce first came back to the BBs he actually played guitar, but I'd never seen it until now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBq3PU7ucbM

Two other fascinating things about this clip:  Brian's sharp dressing, and though I'm guessing the piano player is most likely Carli Munoz, with the blurry image it sure looks a lot like a clean shaven Dennis (see 2:17).
Wilsonista
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »

Looking at Eric's site for set lists from that period, the only unfamilair name was Tony Leo. Might this be the mystery keyboardist?

The guitar Bruce is sort of playing looks like Carl's ES-335.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »

I never even heard before that Bruce played guitar on stage. Since he checks the BBB message board sometimes, maybe someone can get him to elaborate on that change a little. Nice find!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:11:49 AM »

Poor guy. There's not one instrument he looks cool playing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:07:09 AM »

In the November '78 edition of David Leaf's "Pet Sounds" fanzine, there's a shot of Bruce playing that guitar (which I've always assumed was borrowed from Carl) alongside Carl, who was playing a capoed Stratocaster, at a recent gig.  Because the Strat was capoed, the tune in question was almost certainly "Help Me Rhonda". 

The YouTube clip Adam posted a link to was the April '79 Easter Seals Telethon (hosted by Jack Klugman).  Dennis was absent.  The "mystery" pianist  was Sterling Smith (Carli Munoz is on organ, Phil Shenale is on Oberheim synth).  This is the same lineup that performed when The Beach Boys hosted the Midnight Special in April or May (however Dennis WAS present for that).

My feeling is that when Bruce returned to the band (late August/early September '78), there were so many keyboardists already in the band, even with Brian on bass, that he sometimes played the bass parts on one of Carl's guitars (especially when Brian moved back to the piano).  You'll note that Bri is playing the Wurlitzer electric (instead of the acoustic baby grand) here & on the Midnight Special...in the "Time Barrier Express" article from that year there's a shot of him & Sterling playing the grand together, side-by-side (I think that was from the Radio City Music Hall show in March).  By July of that year (when I saw them live for the very first time), they had pared down the keyboard ensemble to just Brian, Bruce, Carli, and Mike Meros.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:09:53 AM »

Looking at Eric's site for set lists from that period, the only unfamilair name was Tony Leo. Might this be the mystery keyboardist?

The guitar Bruce is sort of playing looks like Carl's ES-335.

Tony Leo was their drum & percussion tech.  He filled in on percussion from '79-'82 when Dennis was absent and Bobby or Mike K. had to play the drums.  Tony didn't play the entire set, but would run onstage when needed (for instance, the tympani part at the end of "Wouldn't It Be Nice").
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:22:32 AM »

I've seen worse pictures of Bruce playing guitar...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:06:41 AM »

Wow, hadn't seen that middle picture before...where's that from, SH?  And do you know for sure where the top photo was taken...the bottom one is supposedly Central Park (according to the Leaf book), but their clothes are different than what they wore at the Central Park gig that was filmed for TV.

Hmmm...wonder who the bearded keyboardist is in that first shot?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »

Wow, hadn't seen that middle picture before...where's that from, SH?  And do you know for sure where the top photo was taken...the bottom one is supposedly Central Park (according to the Leaf book), but their clothes are different than what they wore at the Central Park gig that was filmed for TV.

I think that middle picture popped up here before. The description says "1972 Carnegie Hall". But I'm not sure about that. (Blondie, Ricky and Bruce on one pic didn't happen too often)
No clue where the first pic was taken.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »

I think that middle picture popped up here before. The description says "1972 Carnegie Hall". But I'm not sure about that. (Blondie, Ricky and Bruce on one pic didn't happen too often)
No clue where the first pic was taken.

They did play Carnegie on the March/April '72 tour when those three dudes were all in the band, so it's possible.  From the instrumentation and configuation of the players, I'd say it's probably "Student Demonstaion Time" or maybe "Wild Honey".  Anymore shots from that show?
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »

They did play Carnegie on the March/April '72 tour when those three dudes were all in the band, so it's possible.  From the instrumentation and configuation of the players, I'd say it's probably "Student Demonstaion Time" or maybe "Wild Honey".  Anymore shots from that show?

Yes, it was SDT being played, according to Bruce when he posted that picture from his own collection on the BBBritain message board. 
BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 01:20:54 PM »

The youtube video shows Bruce on guitar. The three photos show him playing bass.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »

Bruce's hippie phase was short-lived but I think he looked pretty cool in the Central Park photo...
Wilsonista
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »

Bruce, Mike and Al were never convincing hippies.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 01:57:03 PM »

Far out.   Cool Guy
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »

IIRC Bruce did play on the '84 4th of July concert too. There's been more times he could be seen with a guitar but I can't rememebr exactly which occasion I have in mind....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »

I dunno, I think Al and Mike worked as hippies when they were being themselves...Al is the earth dude, Mike as the yoga/meditating guy.  It was the trying to fit in with the crowd part that never works for anybody, basically.  I thought bearded denimy Al was cool as hell.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »

I dunno, I think Al and Mike worked as hippies when they were being themselves...Al is the earth dude, Mike as the yoga/meditating guy.  It was the trying to fit in with the crowd part that never works for anybody, basically.  I thought bearded denimy Al was cool as hell.

Agreed.  Just look how cool AJ is on the cover of Rolling Stone in '71.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »

Without digging out my DVD, doesn't Bruce play the guitar in the Knebworth show towards the end?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx