gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:28:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Country Air \  (Read 8225 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »

Dunno, but it doesn't sound like an organ.
Here's a link
http://www.planetmellotron.com/revb2.htm#beachboys

A discipline daddy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »

Interesting... but hardly convincing. For one thing, the band never owned a Chamberlain - Desper had to borrow one to construct Brian's 'water machine'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »

Damn, you're right, again.

A discipline daddy.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »

Organs can sound like an amazing range of things.  They really were designed as the first synthesizers.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »

Interesting... but hardly convincing. For one thing, the band never owned a Chamberlain - Desper had to borrow one to construct Brian's 'water machine'.

What was this "Water Machine"?

A discipline daddy.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »

i dig that "edit" in i'd love just once to see you.  I never considered it a mistake.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »

Brian decided, during the Smile sessions, that he wanted a keyboard that played water sounds - drips, streams, taps, waterfalls - so Steve Desper was commissioned to do just that. He borrowed a friends Chamberlain (or however you spell it), then hiked up to the mountains for a few days recording natural water. Back in LA he further recorded taps and the like, then transferred the sounds (by then pitch-shifted) to the Chamberlain. There were something like three sets of tapes. Anyway, it's set up, Brian comes in, plays it for maybe ten minutes, says "that's nice", and never touched it again.

Steve recalled that when they were recording "Cool, Cool Water", they wanted to use those tapes again - but they'd been wiped. Enter Bernie Krause...

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »

Nothing to do with this then:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2009/nov/22/fluid-piano-classical-music

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 12:49:04 PM »

Brian decided, during the Smile sessions, that he wanted a keyboard that played water sounds - drips, streams, taps, waterfalls - so Steve Desper was commissioned to do just that. He borrowed a friends Chamberlain (or however you spell it), then hiked up to the mountains for a few days recording natural water. Back in LA he further recorded taps and the like, then transferred the sounds (by then pitch-shifted) to the Chamberlain. There were something like three sets of tapes. Anyway, it's set up, Brian comes in, plays it for maybe ten minutes, says "that's nice", and never touched it again.

Steve recalled that when they were recording "Cool, Cool Water", they wanted to use those tapes again - but they'd been wiped. Enter Bernie Krause...
I wonder what he was going to do with it.

A discipline daddy.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »

Now this is the most interesting post I have read on here yet. Early sampling? Damn, Bri, you never stop amazing me! Except when you did those Xmas albums ('64, '77 & '05). Stop with that already!
Jason
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »

Brian was HARDLY an innovator with the Chamberlain/Mellotron. The Chamberlain had been around since the 1950s.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »

I've always assumed it's supposed to be there, bit like that 'edge-of-hearing' guitar on one fragment of "BWTL".

The "Country Air" buzz reminds me of a muted trumpeter's swan, so I dig it.

Uhhthankyouverymuch suh..... Grin

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »

the group most certainly did use a Chamberlin (later on "add some music" for instance), not 100% sure if "country air" has it or not though.  sounds like it could be a brass and/or strings tape.  the distortion sounds like the microphone was clipping, not the amp or the instrument itself.  i've noticed this happening when recording high pitched sounds (such as organ, etc) with certain old electro voice microphones.

couldn't find a chamberlin clip, but this is in the ball park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8qU3LckK7k
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:23:27 PM by DonnyL » Logged

imike24
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 01:32:13 AM »

thanks for the website link.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »

the group most certainly did use a Chamberlin (later on "add some music" for instance)

Not saying they didn't - just that they never owned one.

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »

I dunno why that bootleg "Smiley Smile/Wild Honey" in stereo hasn't been given proper release...

The stereo mix of "I Was Made To Love Her" is MUCH better than the album version.  The 'Rarities' bit is in its proper place instead of tacked onto the end, and there's a lost intro as well.  Along with other little elements that didn't make it.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »

And yes, I'd also like to know where this "edge of hearing" guitar is on BWTL!

I listened to it (the 2fer version) and couldn't spot that...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »

The stereo mix of "I Was Made To Love Her" is MUCH better than the album version.  The 'Rarities' bit is in its proper place instead of tacked onto the end, and there's a lost intro as well.  Along with other little elements that didn't make it.
Now this sounds very interesting....

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »

I dunno why that bootleg "Smiley Smile/Wild Honey" in stereo hasn't been given proper release...

Probably because an official mix of these sessions from the masters would be a hundred times better?

Not trying to sound like an ass, there, just saying - I'd much rather hear an official remix.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 08:49:30 PM »

Well, now you do sound like an ass, because the bootleg CD was sourced from official mixes.... :-P
Jason
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:33 AM »

Well, now you do sound like an ass, because the bootleg CD was sourced from official mixes.... :-P

Nope. The CD did use what was officially released in stereo from the two albums at the time (around 2002), but the rest of the stereo mixes are either from the SOTs (meaning, basically, the most "completed" version on the set), or, in the case of several other Smiley Smile and Wild Honey songs, rechanneled to sound like stereo. Pretty much all you have there is a glorified duophonic release with a few binaural and even fewer true stereo mixes. It's a Frankenstein's monster on the level of 20/20!

And is it not worth mentioning that the official stereo mix of Heroes and Villains is technically not "true" stereo, due to missing a few overdubs here and there?
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »

Well, okay, I'm the ass then. :-)
Jason
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »

Don't take it personally, bud. There are far bigger culos on this forum.

But yeah, that bootleg is basically a few of the official stereo mixes (Heroes and Villains, Vegetables, Let The Wind Blow), 8 full (She's Goin' Bald, Wind Chimes, Wonderful, Wild Honey, I Was Made To Love Her, A Thing Or Two, Darlin', Here Comes The Night) and 2 partial (With Me Tonight, Gettin' Hungry) SOT-derived binaural stereo mixes, and a few other rechanneled mixes (everything else). There is an official unreleased stereo mix of Country Air, made sometime around 2002.

Besides, anyone who actually reads the slightly more scholarly posts on this forum would know that a full stereo remix of Smiley Smile is impossible due to the lack of vocal multitracks for Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains was also missing a few overdubs in its stereo mix, and the tag to Vegetables is also missing a few overdubs in the stereo version.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx