gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:24:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Break Away With Brian Wilson, old docs  (Read 5630 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »

Hey all. I'm going through the boxes in my closet and unearthing all of my mid-90s Brian Wilson material. I've found most of the issues of the newsletter Brian's folks put out from 96-99 or so, as well as some old issues of ESQ and other fan debris. While I know the ESQ stuff is still available by mail order, I wonder if anyone is interested in the Break Away material. I could post some excerpts.

Any takers?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »

[waves enthusiastically]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:11:17 PM »

I miss Lauri Klobas (he says wistfully).
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »

I would love to read some excerpts from this period...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »

Break Away with Brian Wilson
No. 1, Summer 1996

----------

A Word From Brian

Hello everyone!

It's been an eventful few months with the Beach Boys. Our musical missionary work in life has been in full swing for 34 years. Our country album will be coming out in August. Hope everyone will enjoy it.

It's been a good spring. I have discovered sunshine as a source of energy and positivity in life. Sunshine really works on me. It puts energy in my body ... makes me feel like movin' around. I feel very good, very positive. I hope that you will also discover the sun.

Seems as though my life has been a gigantic roller coaster ride but my new wife Melinda has given me new directions to explore. She's helping me a lot. Although I'm 54 years old, I still feel like a kid in my heart. You'll be able to tell in my upcoming work.

And you. Fans mean a lot. It's like there's a cake called Brian Wilson and the fans are the icing on the cake. Very special icing. I want everyone to know that I love them and I consider you people as part of my spiritual responsibility -- to make you happy and instill a semblance of emotional security through the music that I make. Thanks for hangin' in there with me. I hope you will receive a good dose of spiritual love in my upcoming music.

I have utmost respect for the mere fact that you were all hip to my music and it gives me great pleasure to know each of you has your own special way to express your admiration to me. THANKS for writing those wonderful letters. The real drag of it that I can't actually meet you. At least we have a love through fan club endeavors -- and, of course, my records.

Love and Mercy For All --
Brian Wilson

----------

Wilson Asher Sneak Preview
(this is the sidebar to a piece about the sessions for "Everything I Need")

Brian and Tony have collaborated on a handful of new songs, including the aforementioned "Everything I Need." Songs-in-progress are "Right Before Your Eyes," "Rock 'N Roll Express" and "This Isn't Love."

Tony offers a few words about the pieces. " 'Right Before You Eyes' ... I like the song. It's kind of a bouncy little happy melody. It's not a real serious ballad. 'Everything I Need' ... is a love song that declares 'Everything I Need I find in you.' 'Rock 'N Roll Express' is about a train called the R.R.E. that travels around the country spreading good music (Rock 'n Roll, Rhythm 'n Blues and even a little Country) wherever it goes. So, 'Get on Board!"

" 'This Isn't Love' is a really beautiful melody that Brian wrote It cries out to be a love song. I mean, I couldn't imagine it being anything else. The title does a little of what the opening line of 'God Only Knows' did. That line [in 'God Only Knows'] says 'I may not always love you' -- an unusual way to start a love song. This one says 'This isn't love' but then goes on to say that 'it' is more than just love. It's ecstasy. Destiny. A whole heap of other things."

----------

Brian Wilson on the movie "Flipper": I liked this because it's about a cute little dolphin. I love dolphins."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

I still have every issue...I actually had Brian answer two of my questions also.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:16:07 PM »

I subscribed but only got one issue the fall of 1997 one.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »

Thanks for posting, Clay. Two typical Brian quotes:

It's been a good spring. I have discovered sunshine as a source of energy and positivity in life. Sunshine really works on me. It puts energy in my body ... makes me feel like movin' around. I feel very good, very positive. I hope that you will also discover the sun.

Sort of like "I lived in southern California for 54 years but I only recently discovered that big yellow thing up there".  Smiley However, nothing beats the fact that he draws parallels between himself and a cake.  Cheesy

And you. Fans mean a lot. It's like there's a cake called Brian Wilson and the fans are the icing on the cake. Very special icing. I want everyone to know that I love them and I consider you people as part of my spiritual responsibility -- to make you happy and instill a semblance of emotional security through the music that I make. Thanks for hangin' in there with me. I hope you will receive a good dose of spiritual love in my upcoming music.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 12:04:58 AM »

Break Away with Brian Wilson
No. 1, Summer 1996

----------

A Word From Brian

Hello everyone!

It's been an eventful few months with the Beach Boys. Our musical missionary work in life has been in full swing for 34 years. Our country album will be coming out in August. Hope everyone will enjoy it.

Seems as though my life has been a gigantic roller coaster ride but my new wife Melinda has given me new directions to explore. She's helping me a lot. Although I'm 54 years old, I still feel like a kid in my heart. You'll be able to tell in my upcoming work.

I have utmost respect for the mere fact that you were all hip to my music and it gives me great pleasure to know each of you has your own special way to express your admiration to me. THANKS for writing those wonderful letters. The real drag of it that I can't actually meet you. At least we have a love through fan club endeavors -- and, of course, my records.

Love and Mercy For All --
Brian Wilson

----------

Now... doesn't that sound much more like the real voice of Brian than anything we've heard for years ?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:38:54 AM »

Brian Wilson on the movie "Flipper": I liked this because it's about a cute little dolphin. I love dolphins."

Classic Brian Wilson!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:59:11 AM »

They sent out some autographed promo items to members.
What are your thoughts on if Brian himself signed or someone signed for him?

One I received has a shaky hand look to it while the other is pretty smooth writing (TD vs no TD?) which always made me think "one is for real, the other uncertain".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 04:33:07 AM »

They sent out some autographed promo items to members.
What are your thoughts on if Brian himself signed or someone signed for him?

One I received has a shaky hand look to it while the other is pretty smooth writing (TD vs no TD?) which always made me think "one is for real, the other uncertain".

Brian's writing, even back in the early sixties, could never be described as "smooth" !

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 06:32:42 AM »

Sounds familiar... mine came with a plastic key fob.  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd've assumed Brad was running the club!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »

Sounds familiar... mine came with a plastic key fob.  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd've assumed Brad was running the club!

Oooo... cute.  Wink

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »

I always assumed (in retrospect) that Brian's enthusiasm about the sun in this message resulted in the song "Sunshine" on Imagination. "Sunshine / Can't get enough sunshine / I'm following the sunshine / Everywhere I go."
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

I always assumed (in retrospect) that Brian's enthusiasm about the sun in this message resulted in the song "Sunshine" on Imagination. "Sunshine / Can't get enough sunshine / I'm following the sunshine / Everywhere I go."

"Sunshine" is one of my two favorite BW songs, along with "Sunshine" from KTSA! This new bit of knowledge makes me wish that it had been more foggy/overcast in mid-1990s CA. Now I've got the song stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

You've made a powerless enemy today, my friend...

- B00ts
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »

"Sunshine" is one of my two favorite BW songs, along with "Sunshine" from KTSA! This new bit of knowledge makes me wish that it had been more foggy/overcast in mid-1990s CA. Now I've got the song stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

Here's where AGD steps in to remind us that Joe Thomas actually wrote the hook to Sunshine, or whatever the story is.   Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »

No, Joe wrote the ending ballad part, the bit that kind of sounds like a Dennis song. Brian wrote the first two minutes, which include the chorus I mentioned. (I've just been reading the old ESQ issue that goes through Imagination song-by-song. Some meaty stuff in there, including some suggestions that Brian was a teensy bit more involved in tracking the album than he later wanted people to believe.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:20:14 AM by claymcc » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »

Mojo magazine, June 1998

Brian Wilson: The Mojo Interview
Excerpts from his talk with Peter Buck of REM

There's a real feeling on the record that it is kind of a musical rebirth. Were you starting over, in a way?

Yeah, I had to start over because I had no choice. It's been a while since I've had a record with commercial appeal. There's a fine line between commerciality and art -- and sometimes it's confusing which way to go.

-----

Does that still mean something to you, to be on the radio?

Well, I haven't been on the radio since, whew, God so many years, I couldn't even remember. I probably would be out of my head if I heard it on the radio. Yes, it's important to me that people hear what I do. I love to please people with my music.

Are you going to do anything performance-wise, on TV or anywhere?

I might do some television -- everything is sort of up in the air. I would love to do some live stuff.

You're not really planning to tour, are you?

I don't know at this time.

-----

I like the guys you used for I Just Wasn't Made for These Times.

Oh, you mean Don's guys? Yeah, Yeah. I'd like to put together a special two guys and two girls background group.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »

Here's where AGD steps in to remind us that Joe Thomas actually wrote the hook to Sunshine, or whatever the story is.   Smiley

Who... meRoll Eyes

Alan G Dondellinger
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »

Who... meRoll Eyes

I believe he was referring to myself, the third engineer/runner for "Imagination." To answer your question, Joe Thomas didn't actually work on the album. He was just a pawn of Melinda's to take the heat off of Brian. That's why they also got him to "come back" for one song on GIOMH (they tried to get him to take producer's credit, but he didn't want any more death threats)
MBE
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »

I didn't even get a key! Brad (advance order) Elliott  Roll Eyes At least I'd understand why I got ripped off.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:03:50 AM by variable2 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

Who... meRoll Eyes

I believe he was referring to myself, the third engineer/runner for "Imagination." To answer your question, Joe Thomas didn't actually work on the album. He was just a pawn of Melinda's to take the heat off of Brian. That's why they also got him to "come back" for one song on GIOMH (they tried to get him to take producer's credit, but he didn't want any more death threats)

Nice try.  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 02:27:58 PM »

Happier Days
Excerpts from 1998 interview with Greg Kot (Request magazine)

You recently gave your first solo concert in St. Charles. What were your feelings about performing for the first time without the Beach Boys?

I took about as many feelings as you could take in. First of all scared, frustrated, some pent-up anger. I was mad about something I couldn't really express. And then, of course, joyous that I could finally do this. And the crowd liking it made it even better.

Were you satisfied with the show?

No. I wasn't as happy when I heard the playback. I thought I could do better than I did. When you're nervous, sometimes you don't sing quite on key.

-----

Some people consider Smile your lost masterpiece, and they feel like they're missing out on some of the greatest music you ever did. What would you tell them?

That they're not missing much.

-----

What happens if Imagination isn't a hit?

I was just talking to Melinda about this yesterday. I said, "I don't think it will sell very much," and she says, "What if it did?" And I said, "That would be gravy. We'd be rich." If it doesn't, we'll try something else, an up tempo rock 'n roll record. I'm scared, sometimes so scared of what I'm doing that I can't even think hardly. Because I feel pressure from somewhere.

Is it tough living up to your past?

There are some things going on so deep inside of me. Living up to my name has been hell for me. You have no idea how hard it is to live up to your name, to keep turning up stuff on par with your name. It's so difficult to do that sometimes.

Did it keep you from working?

Yes.

But you're back in the game now. What's next?

I want to start another record in a month or two. It's too awkward to wait a year. You ride a cycle, a rhythm roll, catch a wave. You do an album, get the feeling, make more music. Make a rock 'n roll album. I feel I can push forward. I feel like a baby chick poking out of my shell and doing something good. I just want to do something good.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:29:52 PM by claymcc » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx