gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:31:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile
5 - 21 (77.8%)
4 - 2 (7.4%)
3 - 2 (7.4%)
2 - 1 (3.7%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile  (Read 29543 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile, released February 1997.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:23:03 AM »

5 stars. The real explosion.
If you weren't around, I can't explain the excitement, revelation and mental orgasm this book inspired.
For the 80's BB fans, this was a new book of the Bible, and the single most important event in BB fandom history, far more than the BWPS release. Transformative.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 05:32:23 AM »

this book is truly amazing. still amazes me to this day after reading it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 05:34:57 AM »

5 stars. Makes me feel like I was there, and wish I was.

Watch out for snakes!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »

Indispensable. The most important book....ever.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:52:34 AM »

We need a revised edition . . . with a thorough index . . . to make it a more user-friendly resource, from a reference standpoint. Priore and Chidester have discussed doing this.

M.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »

I need to get this.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »

This book alone justifies Priore's SMiLE Scholar Hall of Fame staus.
Jason
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 01:12:35 PM »

This book alone justifies Priore's SMiLE Scholar Hall of Fame staus.

Shame his other book f***ed up his credibility.

This book, however, is a magnificent thingy. Excellent compilation of articles. I'd give it 500 if I could, but a 5 will suffice.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:14:22 PM »

I don't necesarily think the newer book fucks up his credibility.
Jason
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 01:22:01 PM »

Well, different strokes for different folks. I couldn't finish his other book, I thought it was pure fluff. I would dare say it insulted my intelligence.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »

I need to get this.

Uhh, yes.

Saying the new SMiLE book fodaed up Dom's cred is like saying GIOMH fodaed up BW's cred. Yeah, so what?

Jason
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »

Saying the new SMiLE book fodaed up Dom's cred is like saying GIOMH fodaed up BW's cred. Yeah, so what?

I agree with that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »

I need to get this.

Uhh, yes.

Outside of the BlueBoard, it did.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »

I agree! I just meant it does not nullify his previous greatness.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 04:12:54 PM »

Which is what I said.

Except I liked the new Dom book. Hell, I'm even in one of the pictures!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 04:19:17 PM by RobtheNobleSurfer » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 05:19:04 PM »

Huh?

Rob, which one?
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 05:52:05 PM »

Dee and I are directly in front of Darian. Brian was staring at me the entire time he was on stage.

BTW, that was at Wondermints' record release performance for Mind If We Make Love To You
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »

Man, you guys go EVERYWHERE for concerts! (and since we have gone to see Brian together here in Columbus, and you live in Missouri, I speak from experience)  I don't know how you do it but I envy you.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 08:31:18 AM »

I don't know how we do it either. Except that we live rather modestly, don't have any vices that use up money (like drinking and smoking) and usually save up for these trips.

But i that case, it was basically a once in a lifetime gig - Wondermints never tour and don't even play around L.A. when Darian and Nick aren't touring with Brian.  Unless those guys can clear enough time to make another record .... Another Wondermints gig seems unlikely.

Jeff, there was something else about that show.  Earlier that week Brian and band performed at McCartney's Adopt-a-Landmine benefit and the 'Mints invited Paul to their gig to possibly do a number. Rumors were rampant the night of the gig that McCartney would show up. But as it turns out, he was starting his own tour that weekend in the Mid-West so he had to decline the invite. So we got Brian (I was hoping that it wasn't going to be a BB song) and Evie Sands. Pretty good consolation, if you ask me.  Smiley

About the picture itself, I had seen it online several times since 2002. The 2nd time we went to L.A. was last May for the BB Landmark ceremonies and the weekend activities. One of which was a bus tour through Hawthorne and Hollywood with Priore and Peter Reum as co-tour guides. We go to the hotel where the bus tour starts and everyone is in the lobby chatting. Priore's new SMiLE book hadn't come out in the US yet, but he had a copy with him that he was showing everyone. Emdeeh I think, was looking at the BB pictures in it, I glance over and I see a familiar picture. I'm like, "this is from Wondermints Knitting Factory show!" Dom goes, "yeah, were you there?" "Dude! We're in the shot!"  It was completely by accident (I'm sure the only reason Dom chose this shot because it had Brian with Darian, Nick, and Probyn), but I thought it was cool in a giddy fanboy kinda way.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:41:43 AM by RobtheNobleSurfer » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 08:46:54 AM »

Yeah, but three months later, Brian came out with BWPS and then the briliant Christmas album.  What is Dom ever going to do to redeem himself?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 11:08:57 AM »

What is Dom ever going to do to redeem himself?

He doesn't need to. Look Listen is enough to permanently enshrine him.
Like, you know, BW is still great even though he put out that godawful piece of offensively bland nonsense Xmas album.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »

I got this book a few months ago and it really is fantastic. I think it is the definitive book on SMiLE and I dont think you'd ever be able to top it unless there was an update which had added articles etc.. because this book gives you a feel for the times around SMiLE, something that which no other book can do because this book has articles from the time and therefore give you the feeling and build up to the proposed release and then failure to release SMiLE... A truly wonderful book in recreating (especially for those who werent there like myself) in some small way the legend of the SMiLE-era
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »

I need to get this.

Uhh, yes.

Outside of the BlueBoard, it did.

I dont see why it should, I mean everyone has blips in their career(s) in whatever they do.. I mean a sportsman can't produce his best form EVERY match, I mean he/she is going to go through slumps in form at some time in their career and with Brian releasing GIOMH that is one minor blip in a VERY long career, I mean so what? It doesnt mean that he can't still produce good material as he has proved
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »

We need a revised edition . . . with a thorough index . . . to make it a more user-friendly resource, from a reference standpoint. Priore and Chidester have discussed doing this.

M.

When did they discuss re-doing it?

I know it had to be a while ago, as this post was a long time ago itself.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx