gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681311 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 08:44:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Love a.k.a. Our Love Is Coming Down  (Read 6951 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »

How do you post nearly ONE THOUSAND times on a hardcore, in-depth Beach Boys message board -- yet HAVE NOT listened to 'Bambu" in it's entirety???

What are the odds?

I'd say the odds look distinctly Bloo-ish.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »

These are the same kinds of folks who thought the backing track of Don't Run Away by Bruce and Terry was the long lost January 1967 recording I Don't Know. And even when corrected about it endlessly it still ends up going around. And we sit back and wonder why the record companies are hesitant to release new stuff. Christ, if the hardcores can't be bothered to listen to it, what makes them think they could even sell any of it? Think about that.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »

I always thought the drums on the boot version sounded very 80s, though i know it wasnt recorded then.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »

I just noticed something about the "My Love" recording I have as bootlegged. On the bootleg version, the drums sound very different from the version issued as part of "Love Remember Me" on the POB/Babu cd. Was there more than one version of "My Love" recorded? Or is the poor sound quality playing with my ears?
Did you read my post? I already answered your question way up this thread dude. "There were multiple B sections available, Dennis had recorded several." I'm sensing Jay is not a very thorough researcher...considering his orig. post that began this thread...and now this already answered question. Take a break from the bong brother.
I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood you or something.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »

I just noticed something about the "My Love" recording I have as bootlegged. On the bootleg version, the drums sound very different from the version issued as part of "Love Remember Me" on the POB/Babu cd. Was there more than one version of "My Love" recorded? Or is the poor sound quality playing with my ears?
Yeah, there's something 'better' in the bootlegged version.
I agree. The drums on the boot version sound more "full", if that makes any sense.

Jason
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

I now fully understand why Andrew Doe has adopted a cranky sense when it comes to repeating the same information over and over again. Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »

I now fully understand why Andrew Doe has adopted a cranky sense when it comes to repeating the same information over and over again. Smiley

It's not the repeating, especially if it's a newbie asking... it's the answering questions and having your reply either dismissed or - as Jon's was - ignored.

Jason
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »

We scholars have all the trouble. Smiley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »

It makes me feel smart when answering questions that may have been addressed in the past .   Cheesy

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »

Something tells me the title 'I don't know' is rather literal...

"I Don't Know" is also the title listed on the AFM contract, but it was almost certainly just a working title, as Dennis had also used it in January '67, and Brian used "We Don't Know" as the working title of "California Girls".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »

It's not the repeating, especially if it's a newbie asking... it's the answering questions and having your reply either dismissed or - as Jon's was - ignored.
If it bothers you guys that much, then feel free to delete this thread. I already apologised.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »

Jay, you're not the first to ask a question that has been discussed before, and you'll definitely not be the last one either. No reason to delete this thread at all.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 01:19:30 AM »

Jay, you're not the first to ask a question that has been discussed before, and you'll definitely not be the last one either. No reason to delete this thread at all.

Agreed... are some folk here being unnecessarily harsh? When someone - even a hardcore fan -  discovers something new in the Beach Boys' back catalogue that's surely a beautiful moment, not a time to chastise them for not listening to every thing in their collections, or for not having closely read all the 12 billion posts on this and other boards?

I remember the first time someone on this board (or was it the old Smile Shop? – I think it was Charles, actually) pointed me towards the "truck driving man" lyrics... revelatory -  even though I'd been listening to them, unknowingly, for about 30 years!

I like the thought that boards like this can steer me towards more great listening that lies buried in my own collection!

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »

Agreed... are some folk here being unnecessarily harsh? When someone - even a hardcore fan -  discovers something new in the Beach Boys' back catalogue that's surely a beautiful moment, not a time to chastise them for not listening to every thing in their collections, or for not having closely read all the 12 billion posts on this and other boards?

I remember the first time someone on this board (or was it the old Smile Shop? – I think it was Charles, actually) pointed me towards the "truck driving man" lyrics... revelatory -  even though I'd been listening to them, unknowingly, for about 30 years!

I like the thought that boards like this can steer me towards more great listening that lies buried in my own collection!
So then you agree with encouraging someone to pay closer attention to what is right in front of them before they start asking already answered questions that are in the very thread they started (with an already answered question BTW)...because doing that, paying attention to what they have, paying attention to what is readily available, and paying attention to what people have taken the time to inform them about right here in this thread, will surely steer them towards more great listening. If that's the goal then its the harsh guys who have gone that extra mile to help achieve this hallowed mission. Glad we are all in agreement about that.
Jason
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »

What Jon and Andrew are saying, which I agree with as I've had the same problem, is that we answer all of these questions about easy stuff, simple stuff, stuff right under everyone's nose even, but they just seem to go by the wayside by either a casual overlook or, more likely, pure ignorance. Being a broken record isn't fun after a while.

Of course no one will delete the thread.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »

Plus... there's this wonderful thing called the internet: all sorts of answers and information to be found there iffn you just dig (google) a bit.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »

OK, so let me get this straight: Dennis recorded more than 1 version of "My Love"? Is that what you're saying?
Jason
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »

OK, so let me get this straight: Dennis recorded more than 1 version of "My Love"? Is that what you're saying?

I don't envy the new asshole you'll have after that little bit of antagonism.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

No. Not exactly. When they came to assemble the song for release, they had one (1) tape for the A section, but several (three or more, I think) different treatments for the B section. Jon can enlighten further, but I gather a reference cassette helped sway the decision for the one that was used (and that was a very good thing).

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »

No. Not exactly. When they came to assemble the song for release, they had one (1) tape for the A section, but several (three or more, I think) different treatments for the B section. Jon can enlighten further, but I gather a reference cassette helped sway the decision for the one that was used (and that was a very good thing).
Yes...and out of these three B sections various elements were combined to create the B section as heard on the Legacy edition. It was discovered that they fit together like a puzzle. So you are not hearing just one of DW's separately recorded B sections, but an overlay of elements contained in two or three of them. Remember John was working with multi-tracks. Gregg and John had a sense of what Dennis was building on this track from their work on it in '77, plus John had the old rough cassette he'd been saving. One thing that could not be adjusted was the vocal balance on the A section, two of DW's vocal tracks were inherent, or combined, or bounced down to a single track...therefore the way those vocals sound on the beginning of the track, and the balance between those multiple DW voices had to stay just as you hear them. To me this track, Love Remember Me is one of Dennis' very best. The louder you crank the Legacy version the better it sounds.
Jason
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:12 AM »

For what it's worth, the 1971 Dennis track Ecology was done in a similar fashion. The piano melody in River Song was adopted from the sessions for this track.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx