gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:57:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Love a.k.a. Our Love Is Coming Down  (Read 6942 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 11:53:54 PM »

I just heard this incredible track yesterday for the first time. Does anybody have any information on it? When was it recorded? Who played on it? Why wasn't it ever finished?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:38:42 AM »

ehm... it was finished. That is, unless it was a hurriedly copy-paste job they did on the the POB legacy edition. It is part of "Love Remember Me" (track 4, 2nd CD)

I think this specific part was recorded around 1977 with the Double Rock Baptist Choir.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:40:37 AM »

Funny you should say that –  it DOES sound spliced on to me. Both halves of the song are incredible - some of the best stuff in the entire BBs and related repertoire - but somehow they aren't the most comfy of fits, together.

Maybe Jon S. can shed some light? 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:06:33 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:22:24 AM »

I just heard this incredible track yesterday for the first time. Does anybody have any information on it? When was it recorded? Who played on it? Why wasn't it ever finished?

You haven't heard the Sony Legacy Edition of POB/Bambu that came out last year?Huh?
Or are you referring to the early '70s DW outtake that goes something like "My love...deeper than the ocean"?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:43 AM »

Funny you should say that –  it DOES sound spliced on to me. Both halves of the song are incredible - some of the best t=stuff in the entire BBs and related repertoire - but somehow they aren't the most comfy of fits, together.

Maybe Jon S. can shed some light? 
DW's edits(BW's too) were often a little less than slick, to me it adds to the organic and slightly frayed quality of some things to great effect. LRM had the A section virtually intact, which in itself was already both messy and glorious, (Hanlon used a rough reference cassette of a '77 Dennis mix which he had unbelievably saved for all those years. This was his guide in mixing the A section multi-track , i was blown away when he pulled that cassette out) There were multiple B sections available, Dennis had recorded several. Hanlon overlaid multiple elements of these various b-sections in the way he(and Gregg) believed Dennis was headed with this track. FYI- Hanlon originally engineered and played guitar on the track in '77 so his sense of how it should be assembled was strong. This was one that kind of fit together in a fairly obvious way. And I agree it could have been pro-tooled into a much slicker, smoother form, but that was never the goal with these tracks. The goal was to get the DW sound, warts and all.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »

Just the idea of all these songs sitting unheard but for a few people for 30 years is crazy. What else is there?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »

To answer your questions (except for the last one)...go to:
www.beachboysarchives.com
Click on the "Bambu" button on the left, follow the Adobe link, and scroll to page 46.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:32:02 PM by c-man » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »

Man, am I embarrassed now.  Grin I don't think I've ever really listened to Love Remember Me before. Sorry guys.  Smiley By the way, is it just me or is this track basically a reworked version of the melody to the earlier outtake, Carry Me Home, from Holland?

MBE
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 06:28:13 PM »

Man, am I embarrassed now.  Grin I don't think I've ever really listened to Love Remember Me before. Sorry guys.  Smiley By the way, is it just me or is this track basically a reworked version of the melody to the earlier outtake, Carry Me Home, from Holland?
I think both songs are very good examples of Dennis' style but other then that I don't hear too much in common.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

To me, the lines "carry me home, to my daddy" and "our love, is coming down on you"(I can't remember the exact lyric) sound similar.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »

Click on the "Bambu" button on the left, follow the Adobe link, and scroll to page 46.

That is a GREAT article.  Smiley

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

Thanks.  It's a labor of love.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:16:29 PM »

Thanks.  It's a labor of love.
It must have taken a long time and a lot of effort to do. As a Dennis/Beach Boy fan it's much appreciated.  Smiley

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 10:25:20 PM »

I took a quick look at the beachboysarchives website article, and I just about fell out of my chair.  Several of Dennis' solo works features JAMES JAMERSON on bass??!??!  I truly had no idea.....wow.....
MBE
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:22:07 AM »

To me, the lines "carry me home, to my daddy" and "our love, is coming down on you"(I can't remember the exact lyric) sound similar.
I see what you mean as far as his phrasing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 10:15:54 AM »

I took a quick look at the beachboysarchives website article, and I just about fell out of my chair.  Several of Dennis' solo works features JAMES JAMERSON on bass??!??!  I truly had no idea.....wow.....

Probably JJ junior.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »

Man, am I embarrassed now.  Grin I don't think I've ever really listened to Love Remember Me before. Sorry guys.  Smiley By the way, is it just me or is this track basically a reworked version of the melody to the earlier outtake, Carry Me Home, from Holland?

Man, if even the tr00 fans on the forums can't be bothered to listen to archival stuff, we're really foda now! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:45:41 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »

I thought I read somewhere that Love Remember Me was a reworked version of I Don't Know. If that's true, then we've got ourselves another lost SMiLE-era track unearthed!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »

It is not.

The first part of Love Remember Me with the clarinet, acoustic guitar, and pained Dennis vocal was logged as "I Don't Know" on the session sheet and tape box. It has nothing in common with the 1967 I Don't Know, which was just a basic track.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 07:34:22 PM »

Something tells me the title 'I don't know' is rather literal...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »

I just noticed something about the "My Love" recording I have as bootlegged. On the bootleg version, the drums sound very different from the version issued as part of "Love Remember Me" on the POB/Babu cd. Was there more than one version of "My Love" recorded? Or is the poor sound quality playing with my ears?

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »

I just noticed something about the "My Love" recording I have as bootlegged. On the bootleg version, the drums sound very different from the version issued as part of "Love Remember Me" on the POB/Babu cd. Was there more than one version of "My Love" recorded? Or is the poor sound quality playing with my ears?
Yeah, there's something 'better' in the bootlegged version.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »

Did you read my post? I already answered your question way up this thread dude. "There were multiple B sections available, Dennis had recorded several." I'm sensing Jay is not a very thorough researcher...considering his orig. post that began this thread...and now this already answered question. Take a break from the bong brother.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

"Take a break from the bong brother."

Hey, come on, Jon...  Take the dude apart, but don't insult good old - wait, what was I defending???
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »

How do you post nearly ONE THOUSAND times on a hardcore, in-depth Beach Boys message board -- yet HAVE NOT listened to 'Bambu" in it's entirety???

What are the odds?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx