gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:01:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Carl And The Passions- So Tough
5 - 21 (13.5%)
4 - 59 (38.1%)
3 - 60 (38.7%)
2 - 12 (7.7%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 144

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl And The Passions- So Tough  (Read 88815 times)
KDS
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »

The Beach Boys boldly shuffle their lineup a bit here, and the results are......well.

I think this album as a whole is not up to the same standards as Sunflower and Surf's Up.  I ranked it a 3. 

One thing that strikes me about this album is that, to me, it doesn't really sound like The Beach Boys for the first few songs.  Personally, I don't think Blondie and Ricky gelled with the Boys until Holland. 

You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone is alright. 

To me, the album doesn't really pick up until Marcella, four songs in. 

From that point on, the album is pretty enjoyable. 

All This is That is my favorite track on the album.  I really enjoy the mellow Beach Boys tunes from this period, especially with Carl in top vocal form. 

The album closes with the excellent Cuddle Up. 

It's pretty bold for an iconic band to shake up the lineup the way the Boys did, and to me, it didn't pay off until the second album. 
KDS
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »

I always preferred "Mess of Help" to "Marcella". Carl's "she's a fine, fine, fine..." hilariously obsessed scream just annoys me.

I will agree that's not a high point in Carl's career.  But I think the song itself is great.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »

"You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone" - 5/5
"Here She Comes" - 4/5
"He Come Down" - 5/5
"Marcella" - 4/5
"Hold On, Dear Brother" - 4/5
"Make It Good" - 1/5
"All This is That" - 5/5
"Cuddle Up" - 5/5

I'd say on the whole the album is very good, with He Come Down and All This is That the standouts (Yes there was a time when Mike could write good TM lyrics!!). Marcella worked better live, the studio version sounds as if it was mastered too slow. The only turd in the punchbowl is Make it Good. My ideal Carl & The Passions would have had Brian give them Sweet Mountain in it's place.
Overall 4/5.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:29:01 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »

You're all mad!! Make It Good is a gem - so original and unique.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2016, 06:11:36 AM »

I'd never been a fan. I loved "Marcella" and "All This Is That" but the rest had always seemed incongruous in one way or another. Until today. Thanks be to Scott G at YouTube (and maybe here as well) for his alternate version. I've been converted, it seems----although I still have to decide on a rating. (I shall listen to this version again soon.)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4T26lvc58o

As SG says: "Read the description please!"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:39:47 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »

I'd never been a fan. I loved "Marcella" and "All This Is That" but the rest had always seemed incongruous in one way or another. Until today. Thanks be to Scott G at YouTube (and maybe here as well) for his alternate version. I've been converted, it seems----although I still have to decide on a rating. (I shall listen to this version again soon.)   

Scott G is jiggy22 here.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »

Scott G is jiggy22 here.

OK----thanks, BDIB. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »

OK----thanks, BDIB. :=)

No problem!  Smiley

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »

This album has grown on me over the years. It's not one of their best, but it's far from the worst. Cuddle Up is a gem; You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone gets this off to a good start; All This is That is nice - although I used to think it was "Feel Flows (light)". I don't know if the Blondie/Ricky songs really belong here, but they're alright. Make it Good makes no impression on me, it's just there. The length of the album is pretty standard for the group, but still it feels short, having only 8 songs. Surprised Carl didn't contribute to the writing except for "This is That".
Decarlo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »

I am listening to this album{vinyl} that I bought in the early/mid 70's.I like it a whole lot more now ,some 40 some years later.It is SO different from the previous BB albums.Cuddle Up is a symphonic masterpiece.All This Is That is incredible.The album came with Pet Sounds...That is a nice Bonus.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »

Regrettably the YouTube vid has been removed but you can still get to hear the "alternate" C&TP here, thanks to the intrepid Scott G:

http://jiggy22.blogspot.nl/2016/05/the-beach-boys-so-tough-alternate.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:42:16 AM by JK » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx