gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:27:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Carl And The Passions- So Tough
5 - 21 (13.5%)
4 - 59 (38.1%)
3 - 60 (38.7%)
2 - 12 (7.7%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 144

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl And The Passions- So Tough  (Read 88846 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:02:34 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Carl And The Passions- So Tough, released May 1972.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:55:11 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:04:37 PM »

I love Mess Of Help and some bits of a few of the other songs, but it's pretty slight. Funny, considering some of the good things still in the can at that point.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »

Half great, half intolerably boring and pretentious. 2 and a half.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:05:21 PM »

The better of the two Blondie/Ricky-era studio albums. Brian and Dennis shine, and Mike and Al's contributions are stellar (yes, even He Come Down).
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

Not as good as Holland.  In fact, maybe 3/5ths as good.

But worth the price for All This is That.  Maybe the sweetest BB harmony in the catalogue.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 10:20:47 AM »

Not a big fan of this album. I  do like He Came Down. I like the others but I feel it was more of a cut paste album.

2 stars  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 10:25:00 AM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »

Dennis did sing the songs he wrote. You're mixing this album up with Holland.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 10:24:20 AM »

Okay, my bad (the fact I have not listened to it in a long time probably does it) but it's still ok.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 07:42:12 PM »

This album is everything I love about the Beach Boys 70s material.  Great songs, cool lyrics and great harmonies.  But you also get something as a bonus here.  There's no other Beach Boys album that's even remotely similar to this one in terms of style.  Let's be honest, this album really could have been three separate albums.  You've got the rockers like Mess of Help, Here She Comes and Marcella.  You've got the country and gospel stuff like He Come Down and Hold On Dear Brother, then you've got the soft stuff like Dennis' two songs and All This Is That.  There is absolutely no consistency to this album in terms of musical style, and that's one of the most awesome things about it.  There are so many different styles here, and they're all done so well.  A hearty, well-deserved 5.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »

Let's be honest, this album really could have been three separate albums.  You've got the rockers like Mess of Help, Here She Comes and Marcella.  You've got the country and gospel stuff like He Come Down and Hold On Dear Brother, then you've got the soft stuff like Dennis' two songs and All This Is That. 

Those are three short albums.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 07:04:26 AM »

CATP and Holland should've been a double album, provided some outtakes were added to the mix, like It's A New Day and We Got Love. And for Christ's sake, how about the LONG version of Marcella?!
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 12:11:59 AM »

How about a version of Marcella that actually rocks (ie. the In Concert)...?  I'd take their 70's studio attempts to rock out more seriously if they actually did 'rock'.  "It's About Time" is the only one that succeeds entirely.  Onya Denny.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 10:08:08 PM »

Yeah. They started to lose their ROCK sound around this time. For me tempo can have a lot to do with how much I like a song.
Idyll... do something with your hair, would ya?!
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 02:10:51 AM »

It's a weirdly rainy-day album. I gave it four, because I love it, but the "rock" numbers, as already noted, don't, and I don't know what the "non-rock" numbers do.

I still think taking on Ricky and Blondie was a very smart move, but what do I know. I'd take this album over anything they did afterwards; at least it sounds like they're not trying to do the human jukebox thing.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 02:50:57 AM »

But what the f*** happened guys?  These tracks absolutely smoked when performed live... and yet in the studio they sound like a bunch of preschoolers rubbing some sticks together while randomly hitting some tuned percussion.

Personally, I blame Brian.

Why Brian you ask?  Because Carl learnt all his 'production secrets' from Bri (ie, don't turn up your amplifiers, don't hit your drums hard, etc)... So when it came time for the boys to really cook in the studio, they hadn't the foggiest fucking idea how to do it.  Completely contrary to how it should be done.

It shits me.  I can't thank Ricky and Blondie enough, that by the time of the In Concert album, they'd taught the guys how to rock.

Which they promptly forgot by the time of "15 Big Ones".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 03:03:32 AM »

They never rocked harder live than the surf/garage/proto-Ramonesy surge n' stomp of their live shows in 1964.
That 70's stuff is WAY mellow in comparison.

Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 07:28:13 PM »

I love this album.  I love Mess of help and All this is that and Dennis's songs are absolutely georgeous and timeless classics of California songwriting.  Marcella another great song.  Justa cool cruise in your car summer soundtrack.  I love this album.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 08:05:22 PM »

I like the entire album...except Make it Good. As big of a fan of Dennis I am, it's funny that my two least favorite songs in the entire canon both feature Dennis leads (MIG and In the back of my mind). Horribly overblown and tedious. Otherwise, perfect album. Short, true, but to me, it wounds like an updated Wild Honey.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 05:25:26 PM »

Dennis' songs on this record are in my mind absolutely gorgeous and reflect his talent in a major way.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »

Same here.

Evenreven
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 09:06:29 AM »

The last three songs are great. The first five are not. (Although I kinda like Mess Of Help.)

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »

I like Mess of help, but I seriously wish the doubletracked vocals were in better sync.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 03:14:08 PM »

I love when double-tracked vox aren't in perfect sync.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 03:26:15 PM »

Me too. Drive-In is the best of that.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »

Sometimes while recording, I just use two takes (with the singer not hearing his previous take while recording a second) and treat it as double-tracked to get that very effect. And yes, Drive-In is a great example of it.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx