gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:21:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Carl And The Passions- So Tough
5 - 21 (13.5%)
4 - 59 (38.1%)
3 - 60 (38.7%)
2 - 12 (7.7%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 2 (1.3%)
Total Voters: 144

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl And The Passions- So Tough  (Read 88727 times)
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »

it's weird to hear "15 big ones" Brian voice at that break down part..

Exactly when is that?

Edit: Must be 3.39
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:11:06 PM by Domino » Logged

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »

About as 3 out of 5 as it's possible to be. Not bad, not great. Some terrific highs, some terrible lows.

The lows? He Come Down - I mean, really... Why? Why? Why? And Blondie/Ricky haven't quite gelled yet... Also, the overall production is gernerally scrappy.

The Highs - the final trio of songs is pretty awe-inspiring. And I love the fade to Marcella.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »

DAMN, "Marcella" is such an awesome song.........  3D

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »

DAMN, "Marcella" is such an awesome song.........  3D

who is that guy in the car? It's not one of the band (certainly not Brian and all the others are there in front of it). I rmemeber seeing him play the piano in the promo vid for 'You Need A Mess Of Help'. Anyone know who he is?
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Dragon
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »

Got a 1st pressing w Pet sounds for $3 in NYC yesterday. WIN.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »

It's definately not a BAD album, but coming on the heels of Sunflower and Surf's Up, I can understand how disappointed people were. All of the material is decent, but there are too few exceptional moments. Cuddle Up is probably the best, followed by All This is That and Marcella. There isn't anything on here I love as much as Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, All I Wanna Do, Forever, This Whole World...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:13 AM »

Whereas Surf's Up was a departure from the usual Beach Boys album, most of it was still steeped in familar territory. Carl & The Passions takes some getting used to because it's the first album that isn't very "Beach Boys" at all. I've grown to love Marcella, I think it's a dynamite track. And since I've seen All This Is That on the tour, I appreciate that a lot more too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »

Not a bad album. It's nice to hear something different from the BBs "sound". Best tracks include Marcella, You Need a Mess of a Help to Stand Alone, He Came Down, and Cuddle Up (The best track of the album, Dennis's performance is superb!)

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »

This is a pretty bad a*s LP!  This was still when they were trying to forge ahead...still trying to be legit.  After "Holland" it all went downhill so fast and before you knew it we had the Mike Love Endless Bummer Stage Show and 12-minute disco tracks.  The addition of Blondie and Ricky was genius.  I love how they were allowed to bring in their sound to the traditional mix rather than have what made them different muddled to conform with what the Beach Boys were supposed to sound like.  It just sounds unlike anything else in their canon.  This was a vital, yet imperfect, LP made by a functioning band.  No, it's not "Pet Sounds" or even "Sunflower" but it can stand tall on it's own.  It's just a shame that the marketing was so, so poor for this LP.  I love listening to it from start to finish...and that's not something I can say about every BB LP!

Plus, even if you hate the rest of the LP...Dennis' voice on "Cuddle Up" is absolutely stunning. 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »

Not the "Mike Love Endless Bummer Stage Show", but the "Fan Induced Endless Bummer Stage Show". I doubt that there is a person in here who attended the shows throughout late 73 through 75 period, would disagree that it was the audiences forcing the oldies on the band. From my observations over that period, the band just gave in and gave the audience what they wanted to hear. From 76-80, they tried in the studio to be different with each release to hit on something that would work, but concert audiences only wanted the oldies. You play to who pays you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:47 PM »

I just read something about Jim Guercio pushing the "oldies" thing on them (I think from Mark Dillon's book).  He said that he went to see them and they were playing newer stuff and the audiences were sparse and lethargic and he told them that if they started mixing in some of the oldies that they could build the crowds and their popularity...which proved to be true.  I think you still get that today.  I just saw them on the 1st and you have a large chunk of the audience who just wanted to hear the "Endless Summer" type songs and as soon as something like "All This is That" was performed they headed off to buy another beer. 

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »

I just read something about Jim Guercio pushing the "oldies" thing on them (I think from Mark Dillon's book).  He said that he went to see them and they were playing newer stuff and the audiences were sparse and lethargic and he told them that if they started mixing in some of the oldies that they could build the crowds and their popularity...which proved to be true.  I think you still get that today.  I just saw them on the 1st and you have a large chunk of the audience who just wanted to hear the "Endless Summer" type songs and as soon as something like "All This is That" was performed they headed off to buy another beer.  
Yes, indeed. Though, audiences were even much ruder then. The audience would actually scream out oldies titles while the band was playing the newer material. If you listen to some of the old shows floating out there as legwear, you can hear Mike, Bruce and Carl asking the crowd to hold off on the requests until later in the show, etc.. They didn't stop dead altogether. It was a slow transition to the all oldies shows, but by the time of the Beachago Tour it was fairly complete. So, maybe Guercio did have input into their set list.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:09:52 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »

And this was a battle many stars with an illustrious past had to fight. Everyone remembers Rick Nelson's song "Garden Party", about being booed off the stage at an oldies concert for his long hair and new sound. We're lucky, in retrospect, that the BB's were able to forge ahead as long as they did before caving in to the inevitable. CATP is the low point of the early 70's quartet of albums...but leagues better than their later low point...(DRUM ROLL PLEASE) of course I speak of the classic Summer in Paradise LOL
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »

Guercio discusses it in pretty good detail in Dillon's book.  He at least makes it sound that he had a large hand in getting the band to give the fans what they want under the promise that if they did so...they'd start packing larger venues and bringing in some money.  He was right...but in doing so...he obviously created a monster.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »

Guercio discusses it in pretty good detail in Dillon's book.  He at least makes it sound that he had a large hand in getting the band to give the fans what they want under the promise that if they did so...they'd start packing larger venues and bringing in some money.  He was right...but in doing so...he obviously created a monster.
I have the book, but must not have gotten that far into it. I'm at work now, but under what song title does he discuss this in the book? Thanks for the info. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

I got the LP about a year ago (second to last LP I managed to acquire, MIU being the last). Played it once then without intently listening, then filed it in its chronological place...

many months pass, then I find myself scrolling through the 'best bass lines' thread, and see a song titled 'Here She Comes'. I assume it's on CATP-ST since I don't know it, dig it out and give it a whirl. It's un-beach boysyness hits me immediately, I lift the needle and give the album a whirl... My mind wanders after track 2...

I then see in a MOJO list of the 50 best beach boys songs , and it has 'Cuddle Up'. I ignore it, then at some point dig out the album and play it. In that time certain events in my life would cause this song to mean alot more to me, and boy does it! I finally get through the album, and think - hmmm, that wasn't too bad, peter out in the middle though...

I then played it again...

and again...

and again...

Now, as the needle co-incidentally lifts after the closing notes of 'Cuddle Up' once more, the album has finally rested comfortably in my brain - the jarring change of sound is now a pleasant one, and that heartfelt ending is too powerful for me not to want to hear it in the arms of another.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2013, 09:31:41 AM »

Not too fond of this album... it doesn't sound bad but at the same time it's not very interesting or memorable, if sort of ambitious. It's different from anything the band ever did (I'd never have guessed these were the guys that did Summer Days and Summer Nights!), though not really for the better. Still, I can sort of see where some people are coming from when they say this is underrated, it's just not my cup of tea is all. I'd give it a 2.5, but I'll be nice and give it a 3, just because Stig O'Hara was in it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:47:28 AM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

Was listening to this in the car with my boys the other day (4 and 6).... it's really more of an EP than a full album, especially when you consider how it was originally released as a double album with Pet Sounds... how weird is that?! YNAMOHTSA, Marcella, All This is That, and to a lesser extend He Come Down are all stone cold classics. Of the remaining 4 tracks, 3 are absolute trash - the two god awfully boring Dennis songs, and the equally godawfully boring Hold On Brother. Leaving This Town is ok, but it's REALLY un-Beach Boy-y, and while I appreciate the BB's efforts in trying to do something different, the Ricky/Blondie songs are downright mediocre at best.

So it's really a 50-50 split, but it's a split really of an EP.

BY THE WAY - DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS UP WITH THE TITLE?? Carl & The Passions - "So Tough" - Can anyone explain this?Huh
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »

One of my favourite BBs LPs - just to get that out of the way. 3D

BY THE WAY - DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS UP WITH THE TITLE?? Carl & The Passions - "So Tough" - Can anyone explain this?Huh
(Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one..)

Kind of an odd album title, sure. It was intended to work like this: it pretends to be an album (or EP, if you like Wink) not by the Beach Boys - but by Carl & The Passions. A group name (or a proposal for one) that harkens back to the very early days and supposedly was an attempt to encourage young Carl to stay in the group or try his best, musically. Another story goes that it was indeed the name of a band Carl played in when he was very young.
By 1972 it was kind of an in-joke. As for the "So Tough" part: I don't have a clue.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »

It's definately not a BAD album, but coming on the heels of Sunflower and Surf's Up, I can understand how disappointed people were. All of the material is decent, but there are too few exceptional moments. Cuddle Up is probably the best, followed by All This is That and Marcella. There isn't anything on here I love as much as Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, All I Wanna Do, Forever, This Whole World...

Mate, I agree with every single word you've posted there, right down to the specific song selection. Well put.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »

Thanks Lowbacca - the "so tough" part is so random. But just to clarify I did not mean to include that icon at the end of my post!! I'm not upset about the title, after all. hahaha to the contrary its quite amusing! in a random, odd sort of way.  LOL
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »

I'd give this a 1. None of the songs are good and some are among the worst released by the band (Make It Good, He Come Down). I don't like the addition of Ricky and Blondie either. They are mediocre songwriters and make the band sound like a generic early 70s act.

On that note, I don't consider Ricky and Blondie true Beach Boys. They were hired hands intended to help the band seem more like the popular FM rock bands of the day. I really doubt that they were in the group for anything other than the money -- their musical background really speaks against  them having any real interest in the band's music. I can see why they weren't included in the reunion. Also, Blondie chaplin looks like a troll now: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M4b9PRWJiUY/UC2StHBRhLI/AAAAAAAADwQ/874AEzjnp28/s640/294882_284698468217957_1806773783_n.jpg
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:59:18 AM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

None of the songs are good [...]
You don't consider "Marcella", "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone" or "All This Is That" as good songs?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

All This Is That is good... not a fan of the other two. Just standard rockers if you'd ask me.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx