gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:33:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about Summer Days/Nights  (Read 4292 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »

I read somewhere that Dennis wasn't around to sing a lead on this album.  I don't remember where. But does anybody know that if any songs for this album were considered as a Denny lead?

On a different topic, what ever happened to NOBODY?  Cool Guy

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »

Created an "I'm leaving" thread in early Oct. Briefly returned in mid-Oct. Seems to have left again, but not unregistered.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »

I read somewhere that Dennis wasn't around to sing a lead on this album.  I don't remember where. But does anybody know that if any songs for this album were considered as a Denny lead?

I guess it could be "You're so good to me" as Brian is audible on background vocals and of course also sings the lead (one of my very favorite Brian-leads ever btw)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

I guess it could be "You're so good to me" as Brian is audible on background vocals and of course also sings the lead (one of my very favorite Brian-leads ever btw)
You are right, at least according to beachboysarchives.com. Dennis apparently fell asleep in the camper outside the studio.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »

Created an "I'm leaving" thread in early Oct. Briefly returned in mid-Oct. Seems to have left again, but not unregistered.

He was banned.

As for the Dennis thing...was it ever confirmed, or was it just a myth (like Al leaving to go to dental school)?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »

He was banned.

As for the Dennis thing...was it ever confirmed, or was it just a myth (like Al leaving to go to dental school)?

It's mentioned on the back cover of the album.  Around 1990 or so, someone asked Brian which song it was and he replied "You're So Good To Me".  So I would call it "an officially confirmed myth", for whatever it's worth.  Smiley
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »

I'm likely wrong, but for some reason I thought it was Let Him Run Wild that Denny was gonna sing and maybe thats why BW doesnt like his own vox on it. Obviously Dennis wouldn't have sung in the same register as brother Bri, but I can imagine a gruff Denny belting this out.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »

I'm likely wrong, but for some reason I thought it was Let Him Run Wild that Denny was gonna sing and maybe thats why BW doesnt like his own vox on it. Obviously Dennis wouldn't have sung in the same register as brother Bri, but I can imagine a gruff Denny belting this out.

Probably not.  They recorded the vocals twice with Brian singing the lead (hence the alternate version), and Denny was singing backup.  Plenty of opportunities for Dennis to have sung the lead.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

The album really only featured to songs that fit Dennis' singing-style imo (the other one being "Girl don't tell me")

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »

I can picture Dennis singing "You're So Good To Me," at least moreso than any other track on the album.  Brian did a great job as always, but Denny's voice was awesome during that period, especially when used for the right songs.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »

The album really only featured to songs that fit Dennis' singing-style imo (the other one being "Girl don't tell me")

Yeah, I can TOTALLY picture Denny singin' GDTM.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »

I know it's generally mentioned in connection with Pet Sounds; but supposedly Brian was very disappointed with Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Back of My Mind", but thats off of the Today! LP, and the next LP is Summer Days, not Pet Sounds.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »

I know it's generally mentioned in connection with Pet Sounds; but supposedly Brian was very disappointed with Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Back of My Mind", but thats off of the Today! LP, and the next LP is Summer Days, not Pet Sounds.

He shouldn't of made Denny double-track "ITBOMM", or he shoulda doubled it himself, or something.  I think Denny redeemed himself on "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away".  That's why I can so hear him singing "GDTM". 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

[/quote]
 was it just a myth (like Al leaving to go to dental school)?
[/quote]

that's a myth?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »

[/quote]

that's a myth?
[/quote]

Yeah. He didn't leave the band in 1962 to go to dental school... 'cause he'd already been there, 1960-61.  Details here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/Beginning.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:19:31 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »

that's a myth?
[/quote]

Yeah. He didn't leave the band in 1962 to go to dental school... 'cause he'd already been there, 1960-61.  Details here:

[/quote]

Ah, but...technically...you could kinda still say that...
"He quit The Beach Boys to continue his dental education, thinking that the record "Surfin'" would be a one time thing."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »

[/quote]

Ah, but...technically...you could kinda still say that...
"He quit The Beach Boys to continue his dental education, thinking that the record "Surfin'" would be a one time thing."
[/quote]

You could... the great thing about talking with Gary Winfrey was that if you produced strong enough evidence that his recollection was, shall we say, not entirely perfect, he'd admit he could be in error. Nice guy, and a gentleman.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »

I kind of like all the vocals how they are on Summer Days. But I would like to have heard Dennis on any of those mentioned. How about Girl from New York City? If Brian didn't like his voice on a slow song (which I don't understand why) maybe on an upbeat song.

Another possiblity is that Dennis didn't really want to spend the extra time in the studio to do a lead.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »

I think his vocals were suposed to be on Summer Means New Love     Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »

He shouldn't of made Denny double-track "ITBOMM", or he shoulda doubled it himself, or something.  I think Denny redeemed himself on "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away".  That's why I can so hear him singing "GDTM". 

The single track of "ITBOMM" is on youtube and it's fantastic. Really puts a new light on the song. And I think Dennis could've done a great "Girl Don't Tell Me" as he was a big Beatles fan. Personally, I think he would've done good on "YSGTM" as well, it's the type of song that any of the members bar Mike could've song well.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »

For the LONGEST time I was convinced Denny sung "Girl Don't Tell Me". How wrong I was.... LOL

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
PhilCohen
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 12:57:05 PM »

Denny wasn't gruff-voived until the 1970's when his vocal cords were injured in a fight.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »

Denny wasn't gruff-voived until the 1970's when his vocal cords were injured in a fight.
Well, I mean relative to BW he was always gruff, so that's that. And I thought his vocal cords were damages by drugs in the 70's and more damaged by a fight in the 80's, but either way I can still imagine Denny singing LHRW so there!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »

When I first head the "Denny fell asleep in the his camper" story, when the original two-fers came out, one thing came into my mind that I've never hear answered: Why didn't anybody try to wake him?

In 1965 it would be an actual case of "taking a nap" rather than "passing out," right? Why didn't someone go to the parking lot and say, "Wake up, Denny, we need you in the studio"?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »

When I first head the "Denny fell asleep in the his camper" story, when the original two-fers came out, one thing came into my mind that I've never hear answered: Why didn't anybody try to wake him?

In 1965 it would be an actual case of "taking a nap" rather than "passing out," right? Why didn't someone go to the parking lot and say, "Wake up, Denny, we need you in the studio"?

Maybe everyone else was already in the studio and waited for Dennis, not knowing that he actually was on the parking lot in his camper. Then he told them afterwards that he fell asleep and apologized

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx