gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:08:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fan edit/mix of Bambu  (Read 1705 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:44:59 AM »

Now that Bambu is available (has been for a while, I know), has anyone made or found any interesting fan edits for the album? Like a different track list or use of different tunes/mixes: Baby Blue? He's a Bum (instrumental)? Morning Christmas? early mix of Constant Companion?   Would love to hear some ideas.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »

I haven't, and I'm sorry to have missed an opportunity to hear the way John Hanlon submitted it when he was finished.  (Thanx for reminding me; I'll let you know if & when I do hear it!)  From what I was told, it was a heck of a lot closer to what Dennis had in mind.  However, the 'powers that be' decided it was better to release it more as an unfinished work.  Even without hearing it, I bet they should have listened to John....
I'd also like to hear more of what Alan & Mark would have done with it, given the chance to do some some complete mixes on at least a few tracks.  Thank heavens there is so much more waiting to be released...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »

Now that's a mouthwatering post Ed! I thought Bambu sounded pretty finished, myself  Shocked

I found it quite odd that Baby Blue wasn't included, but something like Only With You was.... is that because Denny didn't record a vocal for the verses?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

I found it quite odd that Baby Blue wasn't included, but something like Only With You was.... is that because Denny didn't record a vocal for the verses?

'Xactly - the only version with a DW vocal was the LA track.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »

When the Legacy Edition was released I compiled a "vinyl" version of Bambu (for my own listening pleasure) from the material that Denny had recorded and I would have liked to have seen on Denny's second solo album ... yes, we can dream. I selected tracks which were either on the Legacy edition or were recorded as part on Denny's solo works and ended up on Beach Boy albums .. taking liberties was allowed.

I restricted the selection to 12 tracks ... 6 per side ... just like a vinyl album in the mid 70s ... sequenced according to my taste .. here goes:

BAMBU

Side 1:
1. Time For Bed
2. Wild Situation
3. Only With You
4. All Alone
5. Love Remember Me
6. Morning Christmas (Ultimate Christmas recording)

Side 2:
1. Holy Man (with Taylor Hawkins vocals)
2. Constant Companion
3. School Girl
4. Baby Blue (LA album recording)
5. Love Surrounds Me (LA album recording)
6. He's A Bum

I actually listen to this compilation more than I listen to the POB Legacy Edition.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »

I've always liked the bootleg version of Constant Companion over the "Bambu" released version. I love that odd effect on Dennis's vocal. It sounds similar to the effect on Carl's voice on Feel Flows. Why wasn't that vocal used?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 03:00:38 AM »

1. Under the Moonlight
2. It's not too late
3. Wild Situation
4. All Alone
5. He's A Bum
6. Love Surrounds Me (LA)
7. Are you real
8. Constant Companion
9. Baby Blue (LA)
10. School Girl
11. Love Remember Me
12. Tug of Love
13. Time for Bed
14. Holy Man (with Taylor Hawkins vocals)
15. Mexico

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:45:43 AM »

I haven't, and I'm sorry to have missed an opportunity to hear the way John Hanlon submitted it when he was finished.  (Thanx for reminding me; I'll let you know if & when I do hear it!)  From what I was told, it was a heck of a lot closer to what Dennis had in mind.  However, the 'powers that be' decided it was better to release it more as an unfinished work.  Even without hearing it, I bet they should have listened to John....
This is very interesting. Does anyone know the sequencing of this?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx