gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:06:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See this tour  (Read 28814 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2009, 01:41:31 AM »

I'd hasten to add that I, personally, quite enjoy music that's an acquired taste (Tom Waits, latter-day Dylan, 12-tone compositions), so I don't find Brian's current voice or demeanor overly problematic. But Tom Waits never aimed for the BB audience, and vice versa. It is perhaps a continuing issue with management that they see BW as a mainstream performer. He isn't. He's a cult artist as a live performer who can still make mainstream music in the studio.

Lovely call. I concur, and I too love music that is off-center. Pere Ubu, Tom Waits, Charles Ives, Augustus Pablo (hey, the definitive Pablo Box is out on Shanachie!), Lee Perry, the abstract Bach, and so on. But, as I wrote before, I started out as a huge James Last fan... at age 8. My dad bought his 'Trumpet A GoGo' album and I was sold.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »

And we've got some video.

I Get Around (excerpt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSrVQ5AS5zw

Desert Drive (beginning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YVoDos_fc

Girl Don't Tell Me (excerpt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3TbGpj4JI

Johnny B Goode and Help Me Rhonda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcP3nvhrYW8

Help Me Rhonda (excerpt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XEwOpTC91E

Love and Mercy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHqZ81Jqf78
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:28:46 PM by claymcc » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »

Complete clips from the Lowell show:

Heroes and Villains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bL4wIA9_M

Darlin (Darian lead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIpYRGIhMmA

Please Let Me Wonder (beginning missing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9yur1HvZo
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2009, 02:28:44 AM »

Wow, thanks Clay, marvellous Darian vocal!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2009, 02:33:18 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

By the way, the one word that came to my mind when watching Jeffrey Foskett on stage in these clips is "robotic". I like his contributions to the group's overall sound but his stage appearance is kind of creepy sometimes, isn't it?
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »

the one word that came to my mind when watching Jeffrey Foskett on stage in these clips is "robotic".

Maybe he's hoping to join Devo or Kraftwerk someday?  LOL

And "Darlin'" sounds great!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »

I'm seeing Devo tonight (again). I just had to add that they are the single greatest live act of all time. No, I'm not joking.

As far as Kraftwerk, I was going to suggest Ralph Hutter and Florian Schneider to replace Carl and Dennis respectively at the upcoming 50th Anniversary reunion shows. Grin
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »

It was a great performance, Darian did indeed nail it. I see Scott Bennett doubling a few parts too.

I hope this trend continues - letting other band members take leads when it's appropriate. That is one smokin' band!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2009, 02:10:06 AM »

A man truly happy in his work !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2009, 06:46:36 AM »

they are the single greatest live act of all time. No, I'm not joking.

I've been a huge Devo fanatic since I was 8 years-old — they are indeed an amazing live band — in fact, it's frustrating that none of their studio material cooks the same way they do on stage.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

Can't resist adding to the thread again.   I mentioned a Love You type recording would be nice...and that was not received as I intended....what I meant was an album, not over produced, with a one-take feel, only on newer material...warts and all with this fantastic band also warts and all...no overdubs or corrections..

No, we don't need Roller Slating Child repeated...not what I meant

.....let's start with Desert Drive done raw with Brian and company producing themselves....get the idea?  and expand on that.    Throw in proto pretty and such....also raw with Brian taking a line or two

thats whart I'm talkin about!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2009, 04:53:10 AM »

Can't resist adding to the thread again.   I mentioned a Love You type recording would be nice...and that was not received as I intended....what I meant was an album, not over produced, with a one-take feel, only on newer material...warts and all with this fantastic band also warts and all...no overdubs or corrections..

No, we don't need Roller Slating Child repeated...not what I meant

.....let's start with Desert Drive done raw with Brian and company producing themselves....get the idea?  and expand on that.    Throw in proto pretty and such....also raw with Brian taking a line or two

thats whart I'm talkin about!

Hmmm... not bad! Or... with Rick Rubin? And Benmont Tench? Not to replace, but to add to the band?

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »

Rick Rubin?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2009, 05:50:52 AM »

Rick Rubin?

Ah well, I was thinking: Rubin did great things with Cash. Raw, unadulterated. Tench played very rudimentary organ pieces on the American Recordings. I was merely dreaming about Brian doing one such CD. Unrefined, with the odd bum note or technical glitch.

I would like that. Songs: Surfer Girl; My Diane; you name it.

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »

I second that emotion!  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »

Rick Rubin?

Ah well, I was thinking: Rubin did great things with Cash. Raw, unadulterated.

Although Rubin has to be given credit, it wasn't that drastically different from what Cash did on Sun (with Sam Phillips and Jack Clement) or in parts of his 60s output. It was more or less just let the machines roll and give that guy a guitar. I think most of Rubin's work was to get songs, guest artists and of course having a label to put the records out. Just my opinion. I think Brian already did that kind of record with the IJWMFTT-soundtrack, although there were no new songs of course. Don't know if Rubin would be a good slection for Brian.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »

Rick Rubin?

Ah well, I was thinking: Rubin did great things with Cash. Raw, unadulterated. Tench played very rudimentary organ pieces on the American Recordings. I was merely dreaming about Brian doing one such CD. Unrefined, with the odd bum note or technical glitch.

I would like that. Songs: Surfer Girl; My Diane; you name it.
Don,  you know I love you, but I can't understand this Rick Rubin obsession. The Johnny Cash stuff was good, but it was very Cash-style. Rick Rubin is one of the last producers I can imagine Brian working with.

Brian Wilson should, of course be produced by Joe Thomas.

Seriously, though, imagine Nigel Godrich co-producing the next BW album!

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »

Brian shouldn't work with any producers except folks in his current band -- they're all he needs, and he feels comfortable with them. Compare the Usher sessions vocals with BW88 -- Brian sounds relaxed and natural when he's hanging out with his old friend. When he's in a big studio with top-flight producers, he sounds weird and strained. Better to, as AGD says, keep the static low.

Alternately, have him record the basic tracks and have some outside producer work on those (Brian Eno's sonic "treatments" come to mind).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:06:51 AM by claymcc » Logged
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »

Realllllly wished that Sean O'Hagan project came to fruition. Rubin's thing is that he lets the band be themselves with minor criticism/feedback. He's not a hands on kinda guy for better or worse. At that point why not just produce it yourself?

Given his recent track record (Weezer's Make Believe &  RHCPs' Stadium Arcadium) - I'm not a fan. Those are both horribly subpar albums by once amazing bands.
Producers aren't knob-twiddlers perse but they should give direction and focus, and while I feel Rubin does that in a reverse fashion - nothing stands out to me.

However, he possibly could work well with Brian - but I agree with Clay that Brian's got a great group now who gets him. I still feel sometimes though that the production/arrangements still have that Broadway cast recording-vibe to them. The Wondermints albums sound absolutely astounding - compared to BW's stuff - which still to me sounds adult-contemporary.

You know who could produce a fantastic album with Brian? Jon Brion. Check him out if you don't know him already. His soundtrack from I Heart Huckabees reminds me of Friends.
Sorry for the thread-jacking!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »

I still feel sometimes ... that the production/arrangements still have that Broadway cast recording-vibe to them.

Really well-put. You've just put into words something I didn't know I wanted to communicate.

I guess it comes from the fact that BW's best recent output (SMiLE and TLOS) started contemporary life as staged presentations, not studio works.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »

I guess it comes from the fact that BW's best recent output (SMiLE and TLOS) started contemporary life as staged presentations, not studio works.

Brian was going to stage Smile back in the 60s ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »

Realllllly wished that Sean O'Hagan project came to fruition. Rubin's thing is that he lets the band be themselves with minor criticism/feedback. He's not a hands on kinda guy for better or worse. At that point why not just produce it yourself?

Given his recent track record (Weezer's Make Believe &  RHCPs' Stadium Arcadium) - I'm not a fan. Those are both horribly subpar albums by once amazing bands.
Producers aren't knob-twiddlers perse but they should give direction and focus, and while I feel Rubin does that in a reverse fashion - nothing stands out to me.

However, he possibly could work well with Brian - but I agree with Clay that Brian's got a great group now who gets him. I still feel sometimes though that the production/arrangements still have that Broadway cast recording-vibe to them. The Wondermints albums sound absolutely astounding - compared to BW's stuff - which still to me sounds adult-contemporary.

You know who could produce a fantastic album with Brian? Jon Brion. Check him out if you don't know him already. His soundtrack from I Heart Huckabees reminds me of Friends.

I don't know if Sean O'Hagan would have been very good, especially considering that project was supposed to include the Beach Boys. Considering the kiss-and-tell article that O'Hagan interviewed for, it seems like Brian wouldn't have been comfortable/trusting enough to work with him... factor in the Beach Boys, and we're in Static City, West Virginia.

Agreed about Rubin. He made the worst RHCP and Weezer albums at the time, which is saying a lot. He sits in the corner with a burrito and collects a paycheque. He also is big on 'bricked' mastering judging by the albums that have come out under his auspices.

Jon Brion would be great, as would Nigel Godrich, at least when I think about their past productions... but the giant X-Factor here is Brian. Thus, I agree with the posters who have opined that this album should be:

"Produced by Brian Wilson"

The guy did a damn good job on BWPS and TLOS, and with Linnet and his band collaborating, we'll get the best possible result. Of course, my dream is an album recorded in the style of McCartney/McCartneyII with Brian playing all the instruments, however raggedly. An album of "Message Man" style songs would be the bee's knees.

- B00ts
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:56 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback. I second the Brion suggestion. I came to know him via the Punch-Drunk Love soundtrack, which is great. Brion is a master of small soundscapes. Plus: that album features 'He Needs Me' from the Popeye soundtrack (1980, Robert Altman) which was masterfully arranged by Van Dyke Parks.

(I smell a full-circle type of situation here.)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2009, 07:31:35 AM »

Brian was going to stage Smile back in the 60s ?

... started contemporary life as staged presentations...

... not the moment of conception!

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2009, 08:07:37 AM »

The Brian Wilson Band.  Produced by members of the Brian Wilson Band.   Imagine such an album with a sound resembling the early Wondermints albums.   This would be the correct point in space for this band to assume orbit once and for all.   I think it is time.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx