gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See this tour  (Read 28806 times)
Jason
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2009, 11:26:15 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, this tour is tops. It hasn't been bested by any other tour Brian has done. Thank God it was the USA that got it, indeed. After the UK being spoiled by Brian for all of his premieres bar Pet Sounds, it was good to see a modest hits tour in the USA give us arguably the best shows of his career. Far more appealing than any number of the shows before this tour. The water mark has been set very high by this tour. I don't know if he'll ever better these shows. If he does, well, what a treat we'll be in for.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2009, 04:34:42 AM »

Whew... sounds like the UK tour was a warm-up for something very special.

Many thanks for these great posts folks, very much appreciated.

Really whetting my appetite for what's to come over the next few months!

Really wish I could get to hear one of these shows...   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2009, 09:08:50 AM »

Thanks for this thread guys, love reading the reports from every show, seems like the tour was a great success, and it had a lot to live up to after an incredible mini European tour.

And how awesome Brian is on fire, he must really be feeling the album sessions.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »

Thanks for this thread guys, love reading the reports from every show, seems like the tour was a great success, and it had a lot to live up to after an incredible mini European tour.

I'll second that.  I've loved reading all of the reports you guys have been giving us, with all of Brian's little quips and great moments.  It's so great to read all of this, knowing that Brian is really enjoying himself on this tour. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »

Just a thought.  Is Brian feeling validated with the Gershwin project, thus leading to more pride and excitement in his recent performances?

I am delighted I decided to see this tour.  .

.......and add to that to seeing The Beach Boys in a Performing Arts Center last year.......a killer performance.....and I am feeling quite fortunate as a fan over the past year!

Jason
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »

This has indeed been a great year to be a fan. Not much new music but lots of great performances and good news.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2009, 04:16:37 AM »

This has indeed been a great year to be a fan. Not much new music but lots of great performances and good news.

And with TLOS and the POB re-issue having been released in 2008, that makes it two pretty good years in a row.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2009, 05:58:24 AM »

And with TLOS and the POB re-issue having been released in 2008, that makes it two pretty good years in a row.

Yep. Suppose Joe Thomas will produce the next two albums?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2009, 07:20:28 PM »

Joe Thomas?  That is not even funny.

Maybe someone could underproduce the next couple.

Desert Drive has always been good live but not so good in the studio.  We need more of that live raw feel.  How about another Love You, only rawer and with newer material?

Now, THATS what I'M talkin about!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »

This topic depresses me. lol Brian is playing a total of THREE shows in PA this year(as far as I know), and I can't see any of them.  Cry

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »

I don't know if we could handle a rawer "Love You."
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »

There won't be a rawer 'Love You'. When he made that one, he was 35. A young man still, albeit with substance and emotional problems. The album certainly has childish aspects, but not slick childish aspects. He threw off even his last garment for that one, the bathrobe, and presented himself naked to the world.

Now he's 67. So: fast-forward 32 years. Basically he does not have substance problems (I mean: he uses medication, and even that seems to have been adjusted). I think he's capable of more irony and self-insight. For the next two projects, his arranging skills will be in demand, much more that the compositional ones. We could really be in for a magnificent double whammy, a real hurrah! experience.

But another and rawer 'Love You'? No. No ice skating rinks or dingdangs, I'd think.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »

There won't be a rawer 'Love You'. When he made that one, he was 35. A young man still, albeit with substance and emotional problems. The album certainly has childish aspects, but not slick childish aspects. He threw off even his last garment for that one, the bathrobe, and presented himself naked to the world.

Now he's 67. So: fast-forward 32 years. Basically he does not have substance problems (I mean: he uses medication, and even that seems to have been adjusted). I think he's capable of more irony and self-insight. For the next two projects, his arranging skills will be in demand, much more that the compositional ones. We could really be in for a magnificent double whammy, a real hurrah! experience.

But another and rawer 'Love You'? No. No ice skating rinks or dingdangs, I'd think.

Maybe Brian could put a remake of the dirty version of Ding Dang on his next record!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »

I think it would be hilarious if he and his band did that, at a  random and unexpected point in the show. Just to f*** with the audience a little. If only just to say "hey guys, I'm still Brian".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »

I kind of think that's what he means to do with the "Row Your Boat" singalongs. Only in a more childlike (and family friendly) way.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2009, 01:31:23 AM »

Man, that bit about the bathrobe really should be part of the official Love You liner notes.

You know, I tend to forget or at least underestimate the fact that BW was indeed still fairly young when he did that album. To me, on most of these songs he sounds like a man approaching middle age desperately trying to catch up with his youth and just wondering (in a most serious way) where the years have gone. Writing songs about sitting in school or the "Roller Skating Child" at that stage probably made him look older than he actually was. "I Wanna Pick You Up" is the giveaway.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »

Man, that bit about the bathrobe really should be part of the official Love You liner notes.

You know, I tend to forget or at least underestimate the fact that BW was indeed still fairly young when he did that album. To me, on most of these songs he sounds like a man approaching middle age desperately trying to catch up with his youth and just wondering (in a most serious way) where the years have gone. Writing songs about sitting in school or the "Roller Skating Child" at that stage probably made him look older than he actually was. "I Wanna Pick You Up" is the giveaway.

Thank you! (blushing)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2009, 03:13:50 AM »

Are you implying that it's Brian's mid-life crisis album?  I'd buy that...

“We live in divisive times.”
Jason
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:07 AM »

Are you implying that it's Brian's mid-life crisis album?  I'd buy that...

No wonder the old guard fans don't like it, it cuts too close to the bone for them! Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »

And it's important to note, as I did way back in writing about Concord, that this is all relative. To folks who follow Brian, these shows were a fun surprise. But from an objective standpoint, his vocal performances were not radically different, or better (or worse) or more on pitch than many others. He remains an acquired taste as a performer, and no amount of his own joy in performing will negate that fact. I deeply appreciate the man and his music, and I am excited to have seen two shows of this tour. But he is still who he is, and we are still who we are. In a mild way, he has become like present-day Dylan. To folks who like him and follow him and know what his performances are like, a slightly different show means the world. To folks who don't, the only response is bemusement.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:39:10 AM by claymcc » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2009, 12:16:18 AM »

And it's important to note, as I did way back in writing about Concord, that this is all relative. To folks who follow Brian, these shows were a fun surprise. But from an objective standpoint, his vocal performances were not radically different, or better (or wose) or more on pitch than many others. He remains an acquired taste as a performer, and no amount of his own joy in performing will negate that fact. I deeply appreciate the man and his music, and I am excited to have seen two shows of this tour. But he is still who he is, and we are still who we are. In a mild way, he has become like present-day Dylan. To folks who like him and follow him and know what his performances are like, a slightly different show means the world. To folks who don't, the only response is bemusement.

This is the 2nd major problem with the Blooies* - they just cannot understand why Joe Q. Public sees/hears an old man, singing generally averagely, sometimes badly and exhibiting all the stage presence of Mount Rushmore while they are experiencing multiple orgasms every time Brian so much as waves a hand.  I took a friend to see the TLOS shows in London, 2007, and possibly slightly over-did the preparation for something a little outside of the usual gig experience. Halfway through the first set, she turned to me and said, a little loudly, "this is good... and he's not that mad, is he ?"

Which would have been perfectly OK, were not Melinda and the rest of the management sitting directly behind us.  Shocked

[* - the first is, of course, that 95% of Blooies know slightly less than f***-all about Brian and his musical history. I exaggerate for effect, but you know what I mean.]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2009, 05:31:42 AM »

And it's important to note, as I did way back in writing about Concord, that this is all relative. To folks who follow Brian, these shows were a fun surprise. But from an objective standpoint, his vocal performances were not radically different, or better (or wose) or more on pitch than many others. He remains an acquired taste as a performer, and no amount of his own joy in performing will negate that fact. I deeply appreciate the man and his music, and I am excited to have seen two shows of this tour. But he is still who he is, and we are still who we are. In a mild way, he has become like present-day Dylan. To folks who like him and follow him and know what his performances are like, a slightly different show means the world. To folks who don't, the only response is bemusement.

My stepmother came to the Morristown show. She's not only NOT a Brian/BBs fan, but she's not really a rock and roll fan. Before the show I tried to prepare her. "He's not your typical performer." "He's not going to run around on stage." "He's got a lot of problems." "He'll probably just sit there and sing." Then it turned out she had never been to a rock show before. "Ok, it's going to be loud. But the band is really good, so it's a good first rock show." After the show, she said, "That band was something, wasn't it?" Then she added , "Is it just me, or is Brian Wilson not a very good singer?" I just said, "He used to be." Then I tried to explain his legacy, what he means to pop music, what he has been through, etc. But you know, it's one of those things that a person has to embrace to be able to appreciate a performance.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »

I'd hasten to add that I, personally, quite enjoy music that's an acquired taste (Tom Waits, latter-day Dylan, 12-tone compositions), so I don't find Brian's current voice or demeanor overly problematic. But Tom Waits never aimed for the BB audience, and vice versa. It is perhaps a continuing issue with management that they see BW as a mainstream performer. He isn't. He's a cult artist as a live performer who can still make mainstream music in the studio.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »

Brian at the West Virginia show (after the Salt Lake City fade): "And Salt Lake City is gone, just like that, GONE! Even though there's no more Salt Lake City, there's always a CUSTOM MACHINE!!"

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:43:06 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »

Brian at the West Virginia show (after the Salt Lake City fade): "And Salt Lake City is gone, just like that, GONE! Even though there's no more Salt Lake City, there's always a CUSTOM MACHINE!!"

Smiley

That's awesome...would've been even funnier if the show was in Utah. LOL

I'd hasten to add that I, personally, quite enjoy music that's an acquired taste (Tom Waits, latter-day Dylan, 12-tone compositions), so I don't find Brian's current voice or demeanor overly problematic. But Tom Waits never aimed for the BB audience, and vice versa. It is perhaps a continuing issue with management that they see BW as a mainstream performer. He isn't. He's a cult artist as a live performer who can still make mainstream music in the studio.

Great post.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx