gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:49:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See this tour  (Read 28832 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »

So I saw the show in Westbury, NY tonight.  It was great! Some highlights:

-After the band introductions Brian said "Who do you like better: Jeff or Scott?  Oh that wasn't cool of me, sorry guys!"
-Brian played some piano on most songs
-Brian's awkward as hell introduction to the Little Girl I Once Knew.  it started something like: "So not really any real music has come from China, it can be summed up by the opening notes of this next song."  LOL

Brian was really engaged and into the music most of the time.. basically I report the same findings as the other people here that have seen the tour.

How was the attendance, heard it was very near sold out!

there were a few empty seats, but not many.  The place was very small.  The stage was circular and the seats wrapped around, although they only used about half of the seating (otherwise they would use the revolving stage).

Something else I remembered:  Before Please Let Me Wonder, Brian said (Paraphrased): "In this next song there is a secret, but the guy doesn't know what the secret is." then Jeff said: "Wait, Brian, I don't know what the secret is."  and Brian replied: "The secret is that there are angels on stage right now.. you'll hear it when we drop the instruments out at the end."

And that is what it sounded like on 11-1-09.

To reiterate:  See this tour!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »

Main difference -- main creative forces of the Stones are still alive. I think to Brian, the BBs died when his brothers did.
The main creative force of the Stones died in 1969...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »

In this next song, "this guy did a very, very uncool thing to his girl. And that was it. She said, 'That's it, buddy, we're through.' He was like, 'WHAT?' So he's walking up and down the street at night wondering what the heck happened. And it's called 'Soul Searchin'"

That sounds like classic Brian.  Good to see he's still in there somewhere.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »

Main difference -- main creative forces of the Stones are still alive. I think to Brian, the BBs died when his brothers did.
The main creative force of the Stones died in 1969...

But the most business savvy Stone is alive and well!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2009, 03:54:40 PM »

There's not a man in his late 60's alive who doesn't make decisions based on what his wife wants.  If there is, he's either a:a widower b:divorced or c:an asshole.

Secondly, Mike, Bruce, and Al are three of Brian's greatest fans.  Things will never be how they were in the 60's, they're all independent old men now who do whatever they want, there is no instance in which Brian could be 'abused' or 'held back' by his band mates.  Even in all of his lawsuits Mike finds a way to claim that he's actually sticking up for Brian, and he makes some good points.  It's rediculous for us as fans to sit here and think we know better what Brian needs than his own family and friends who have known him for 50 years do. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 05:04:51 PM »

There's not a man in his late 60's alive who doesn't make decisions based on what his wife wants.  If there is, he's either a:a widower b:divorced or c:an butthole.

What about d) never married or e) gay?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2009, 08:15:36 AM »

Never married or gay?

He makes decisions based on what his mother or partner wants. (Duh-Oh!) Wink
Wilsonista
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »

Well, Brian's mom Did insist that Dennis be in the band.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »

Man, you're REALLY piling on the cheap shots.

How's this for a return cheap shot - anyone who wants Brian back with the Beach Boys is both friggin' crazy and friggin' selfish.

Uh oh, now it's time to beware the wrath of Mr. "The Boys needed to reuinite yesterday" himself, Sheriff John Stone!  LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009, 08:52:29 PM »

Just getting back from the show in Albany.  Definitely one of the best BW shows I've been to. Don't judge it by the setlist. Its the fact that Brian is clearly enjoying himself and participating which makes the show a success. His happiness means more happiness for you, the audience. He was very funny, speaking freely, being himself, and not afraid to be himself, which is refreshing. He swore twice within the first 5 minutes of the show.

Brian played piano on nearly every song, and it wasn't just a token gesture. He was really playing and he was clearly audible in the mix. In fact, he was the sole source of keyboards on "In My Room". He's a member of the band rather than just a figurehead. Sometimes he'd be so focused on playing he'd miss some vocals here and there, but no big deal.

Speaking of his vocals, he sang hard and gave plenty of effort. Just like last year, I detected him running out of gas near the end of the show, but he gave it his all, getting his second wind during Surfin' USA and riding that wave into "Love And Mercy".

Some Wilson comedy: he opens the show by thanking the audience for coming out tonight to see The Rolling Stones. He follows that with a, "Naw, I'm just sh**tin' you!"

The old cigarette lighter joke yet again, with Brian telling the audience "we'll burn this place down!"

Brian asking what time it was, and then, when Jeff starts to reply, Brian says, "No, I'm asking the audience!"

Wilson and Foskett referring to each other as "Pilgrims".

Brian made both me and my wife crack up with something he did during H&V: every single time he sang "Just see what you've done" he followed it by looking down and shaking his head in mock disgust! It was the FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen him do!

New addition to setlist: Darlin' with Darian taking lead vocals. Other highlights: Salt Lake City, Midnights Another Day, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, Heroes & Villains, Row Row Row Your Boat....

I think something happened to Brian during "Midnights Another Day". He was looking up for a moment, and then flinched and looked back down as if he'd seen something he wasn't supposed to. Then, when the song ended, the band waited in silence for Brian to go directly into, "I'm Going Home". He didn't. Scott leaned over his keyboards and called to Brian. Nothing. He stomped his foot to count in the song.....nothing! Finally, they just started without him. That was really the only time where Brian went totally off the rails. He eventually got back with it, but like I said, he was running on fumes by that point.

Brian began an introduction to a song saying how his mother taught him not to hate anyone, but he really hated the next song, due to memories it conjured up. Jeff offered to scratch it, but Brian said, no, he'd do it for the crowd. I thought it would be "Sail On Sailor", but instead it was "Sloop John B", which I found very surprising.

No Sail On Sailor on this night. No Marcella. No Soul Searchin'. No Girl Don't Tell Me. Monster Mash? YES!!!!

A great great show. It's so heartwarming to see Brian looking so comfortable up there, expressing himself as he chooses. We came to see the real Brian Wilson in action and we were not disappointed.
SG7
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »

I'm seeing him tomorrow in Wilkes Barre. Gives me hope!  Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »

Wow! Darlin' with Darian singing lead? It's like someone in the band is reading this very message board!

And yes ... Brian is very, very deeply into MAD. When I saw him, he was so into the song that he half-stood up and nearly knocked over the mike or something. I couldn't quite see, but he was inaudible for a couple of words.

I think he really loves singing the song, but it does seem to trouble him a little bit at the same time. Very close to the bone, and if he indeed still hears voices, I'd expect they pop up during a song like this. I noticed he didn't play it for a week or so after the show in Concord. It's not an every-nighter.

And I think what you said, Bubba, about Brian being Brian really nails it. For whatever reason, he seems deeply, truly comfortable on this tour. He has given himself permission to be creative, kinda nuts and musical.

... And the jokes? Priceless.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:41:53 PM by claymcc » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »

The $64,000 question...

Why ?

Actually, scratch that - I don't wanna know: it's enough that it's happening.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »

We're all believing in Tinkerbell!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »

And yes ... Brian is very, very deeply into MAD. When I saw him, he was so into the song that he half-stood up and nearly knocked over the mike or something. I couldn't quite see, but he was inaudible for a couple of words.

He did that tonight as well. He went off mike for a moment. He was making a gesture, like throwing something at the audience from overtop his keyboard. I'm  not sure what he meant, but it was effective!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »

I forgot to mention seeing Brian enjoying a good backscratching from one of his crew offstage before returning  for "Love and Mercy".

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2009, 04:03:25 AM »

I do hope that there's been some video shooting during this tour. I'd run to the store to see him being a bit of his good, old, unpredictable, funny, charming, embarrassing, comic, and introspective self again.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »

Melinda Stay @ Home!!!!!!....... Yahoooo.....!!!!!!
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »

Brian began an introduction to a song saying how his mother taught him not to hate anyone, but he really hated the next song, due to memories it conjured up. Jeff offered to scratch it, but Brian said, no, he'd do it for the crowd. I thought it would be "Sail On Sailor", but instead it was "Sloop John B", which I found very surprising.

maybe has something to do with the "this is the worst trip i've ever been on." line?

Brian seemed to really enjoy Sloop at the Westbury show.. something i just remembered: at the 'constable had to come and take him away' line, Brian used his finger like a hook on his shirt collar and 'dragged himself' away.   Grin
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2009, 08:10:19 AM »

Brian seemed to really enjoy Sloop at the Westbury show.. something i just remembered: at the 'constable had to come and take him away' line, Brian used his finger like a hook on his shirt collar and 'dragged himself' away.   Grin

That pretty much sounds like the goofy Brian Wilson you get to see in some of the 60s home video footage that has been used for numerous documentary films.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2009, 08:13:04 AM »

Maybe those memories are more recent than than you're assuming.  Roll Eyes

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

He actually did that at the show I went to during the last tour as well.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »

There you go again, Andrew. Hinting about something that you know and we don't. (I would have done exactly the same myself.  Smiley )

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »

There you go again, Andrew. Hinting about something that you know and we don't. (I would have done exactly the same myself.  Smiley )

Just thinking aloud.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »

Two years ago, Mike Love snuck into Brian's bedroom with a 45 of Sloop John B and a jar of petroleum jelly.

Ever since, Brian hasn't been the same.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx