gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:57:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See this tour  (Read 28859 times)
Wilsonista
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »

The Brian band could be doing other things and (let's be honest) making more money.  But the core band has been with him since 1999.  That is nothing to sneeze at by any stretch.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 09:54:10 AM »

But anyway, back the show last night. What happened? Any different songs? Details!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

House of Blues is sold out

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 03:00:13 PM »

But anyway, back the show last night. What happened? Any different songs? Details!

Well from what I've seen of the setlists from this tour the songs were pretty much the same. Monster Mash is still the opener. I was especially impressed to hear Salt Lake City, Please Let Me Wonder, and Sail On Sailor live. It's hard to say what sounded the best because everything was so good but hearing Heroes and Villains (with the cantina segment), live and in person, was beyond words! It got a very long standing ovation. I broke down when they sang Surfer Girl and my aunt (she's been waiting to see Brian since Surfin' Safari came out Shocked) totally lost it on Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring. I know he's been using it more lately, but I was pretty thrilled to see Brian playing bass during the encore. I think everyone got a kick out of him "dancing" at the end of the 2nd set and Scotty standing a tamborine on his head LOL It was just really apparent everyone was enjoying what they were doing, Brian was super peppy, and the audience was more than elated.

We were seated on the opposite side of the stage than where they were going on and off from, so we could see off stage a bit. Before the show started I spotted Brian, and almost had a heart attack. It was completely surreal all night. Brian was the last one off stage and said something like "Goodnight and have a safe drive home. See ya next time". In the lobby Taylor was signing a few autographs and signed a program for us. My aunt asked her if there was any way we could get Brian's, she said he was probably already on the bus and it might already be gone. So we walked out the front of the hall and around the side to the car. When we turned the corner there were two buses with blinds pulled down in the front parked alongside the building. My aunt walked up the sidewalk to see if his name was on the side and I walked the opposite way to the car. Then they pulled the blinds up and guess who was sitting in the front next to the driver?! My aunt started back and I'm like oh my god, look there's Brian! So she went and stood by a group of people who were a ways in front of it until the guy who was gonna direct them out told everyone they had to move (the hall was on the side of a hill, in the middle of a neighborhood, so there was no parking lot and everyone had to park on the streets surrounding it, needless to say moving a big bus around wasn't an easy task). As they pulled out the headlights ended up planted directly on our car and me standing there, dumbfounded, for what seemed like forever. I wanted to die Embarrassed My aunt (I'm not kidding) says oh my gosh, I hope he hits the car, I hope he hits the car! She was more worried about meeting Brian (which I guess she thought would happen if they hit it) than her car getting smashed! They ended up getting out, slowly but surely, all vehicles entact, lol. We got to follow the bus a few miles til we caught a light. It really was something else. Definitely the best concert I've ever been to, I wish I could do it all over again Happy Dance
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »

spoken and told like a true fan
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »

Well, does everything have to be so corny in Brian's world? So he finished Smile "and the angels came back to his side". Barf. Oh my. It just isn't enough that Brian's band is great, as musicians and pros that help Brian with his projects? is it necessary to think of them as folks who are sacrificing themselves, losing money and career opportunities, to help the big guy in his solo journey? Ok then. You met those guys, I didn't.  Smiley

But seriously... If I had to lose some income (not house-buying amounts, of course) to decide between touring with Heart or Brian Wilson, I'd chose the latter in a heartbeat. And I don't even care about Brian the person. Sure I understand that kind of choice.

They are your heroes, alright then. It helps me understand the horror that fills your hearts whenever the word reunion is said... Who would want to take Brian away from a bunch of great folks who love him and dedicate their lives to him, to bring him back to a circle of parasites who never cared about his well being, never supported him and always held him back? I wouldn't.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wilsonista
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 07:03:26 AM »

Man, you're REALLY piling on the cheap shots.

How's this for a return cheap shot - anyone who wants Brian back with the Beach Boys is both fucking crazy and fucking selfish.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »

Um, I think it's time for me to meditate...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:56 AM »

Ya know that pretty cool band the all american rejects, well the lead singer was at the house of blues last night watching Brian, he twitterd 'I'm at a Brian Wilson concert and it is the best one I've ever been to. Holy sh*t!!!'

Also posted a vid http://img188.yfrog.com/i/af3.mp4/

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »

random thought i'll put here.  it'd be so cool if he sang "a day in the life of a tree".  so cool.  fits his current voice.

That would be the coolest thing ever, seriously.

Too bad that this particular song is considered to be a joke by so many...

I love that song, and personally find the tag every bit as or more heartbreaking than that of Til I Die.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »

Sounds like someone's caught his dick in his zipper.

Honk! Honk!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

How's this for a return cheap shot - anyone who wants Brian back with the Beach Boys is both friggin' crazy and friggin' selfish.

Just to qualify the reunion thing... I don't want Brian back with the BB, any more than I want Mike to join Brian's band: what I would like, is for some kind of one-off, or at best exceedingly limited, coming together of the various factions for... I don't know. A concert... a TV show... a single... a press conference... An Evening With... - just some kind of marking of the 50th anniversary in a manner fit to close the circle.

I very reliably informed that back in 2006, in the tower before the rooftop photocall, there was no animosity, just friends meeting again after a long break. That's what I want to see, and if that makes me "friggin' crazy and friggin' selfish", so be it. I've been called far worse, and by folk much better qualified to pass such judgement.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »

Well, does everything have to be so corny in Brian's world? So he finished Smile "and the angels came back to his side". Barf. Oh my. It just isn't enough that Brian's band is great, as musicians and pros that help Brian with his projects? is it necessary to think of them as folks who are sacrificing themselves, losing money and career opportunities, to help the big guy in his solo journey? Ok then. You met those guys, I didn't.  Smiley

Just because YOU can't understand why people do it doesn't mean it isn't done. I know a number of people who've chosen to work for causes or in positions where the primary motivation was something other than money. I know some people personally who work for non-profit groups that could earn WAY more elsewhere. They work where they do because they believe in the cause and they love the people they work with/for.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »

Whatever happens, happens. There are costs and benefits to everything we do; some are monetary and some aren't. I am personally impressed with the dedication of folks in BW's band, but folks can disagree. I'm pretty neutral on a reunion personally -- I asked BW the question and reported his answer(s), but no one asked how I personally felt about it. And I think Mike and Bruce would actually try to be good to the big guy. And they could likely do a good, tear-jerking show. But it's not up to me, and it's not up to any of us.

I think we are enormously blessed (and here's the corniness) to have three groups of folks who are dedicated to the music, and who put on great shows. I've seen all three (well, I haven't seen Mike and Bruce since Carl died, but I'm sure I will), and each show has something to commend it. They really do. However, I became a fan of the BBs through being a fan of BW (I came on board during the '95 IJWMFTT/OCA releases), and he's the one I'm ultimately most interested in. And certainly his band has a staggering number of working musicians who've released albums on their own (many of which are quite good).

I've had my doubts and concerns about Brian over the years, as has everyone here. But I've come to accept that he's someone who is profoundly, really mentally ill. A thousand Smile premieres won't change that. A years-long reunion won't change that. But that doesn't mean Brian's an idiot, and it doesn't mean he's without talent. It's just that it can be really difficult to judge "how he's doing" at any one time. I think those around him have a combination of motives, some more self-serving than others. But I don't believe anyone is out to cause him pain. I think virtually everyone wants him to do well.

So it was a profound moment to watch him last week. I've seen him in 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2008. And to see him more musically engaged than at any previous show, to see him chatting with the crowd, to see him improvising a bit with the lyrics -- well, it assured me that as bad and sad and depressing as things sometimes seem around BW, that he is still a capable, enthusiastic musician. For that matter, so are Mike and Bruce and Al and their folks too.

And as long as the music can transcend all of this stuff -- well, that's why we listen to it, isn't it?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:32:12 AM by claymcc » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »

Ok. Looking back two pages... I apologize for getting out of line.

Just don't get used to it.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

Why does it seem that whenever there's something overwhelmingly positive posted here about Brian there ends up being an argument.  Huh It makes me so frustrated it seems like in 2009 that there can never be a positive thing on any message board that isn't Blueboard about Brian in 2009 that doesn't end up with someone pouring negativity.  Roll Eyes I was actually enjoying and feeling good after reading people's appreciation of Brian's show, no he isn't recovered and it isn't like the old days, but it felt good to read. So much for that.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »

How's this for a return cheap shot - anyone who wants Brian back with the Beach Boys is both friggin' crazy and friggin' selfish.

Just to qualify the reunion thing... I don't want Brian back with the BB, any more than I want Mike to join Brian's band: what I would like, is for some kind of one-off, or at best exceedingly limited, coming together of the various factions for... I don't know. A concert... a TV show... a single... a press conference... An Evening With... - just some kind of marking of the 50th anniversary in a manner fit to close the circle.

I very reliably informed that back in 2006, in the tower before the rooftop photocall, there was no animosity, just friends meeting again after a long break. That's what I want to see, and if that makes me "friggin' crazy and friggin' selfish", so be it. I've been called far worse, and by folk much better qualified to pass such judgement.

Brian on a reunion.

We thought about it. We talked about it. We hashed it over," Wilson said, "but then we decided not to do it."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20091106/LIFE07/911060306/1044/ENT/Wilson-heads-to-A.C.-without-the-Beach-Boys

So just who nowdays is 'we'?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »

He used "we" several times when he talked to me, too. I think it sometimes refers to him and his band -- he said he was going to tour "as long as we can," and sometimes it probably refers to wifeandmanagers. At least he's including himself in the mix now, though.

As for the tour -- it seems like it's still a must-see. Reports from Atlantic City have been stellar. I'll be at the show in Lowell, Mass., next week -- only time I've double-dipped a BW tour, but this seems like this is the one to do it on.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »

At this stage I don't hold out much more than some sort of compilation album in 2011 then. I guess we will have to wait until 2012 to see how a well managed and professional 50th anniversary should be handled....by the Rolling Stones. Smokin Cool Guy Cool Grin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »

Main difference -- main creative forces of the Stones are still alive. I think to Brian, the BBs died when his brothers did.
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »

Main difference -- main creative forces of the Stones are still alive. I think to Brian, the BBs died when his brothers did.

Dito. And, imo, the truth.
On the way to the show we were talking about Denny & Carl and if they would be there (in spirit of course). My aunt was in love with Dennis (he was 2nd only to Elvis, lol) and I'm of course crazy about him and Carl, so it was kind of bittersweet to see Brian without them. I took maybe a dozen pictures (the first set I was in too much shock and awe to pick up the camera), none of them turned out really great because of the lighting. They were all focused in on Brian, and all were pretty clear except the last one. I took it when everyone was standing together bowing at the very end, and there were like 4 spots above the stage. I took some more pictures outside of the bus and they were ok. Take this as you will, I'm not bent one way or the other, but my nutty cousins are convinced they're "orbs" which I guess are supposed to be spirits or angels or something. If by some crazy chance that was what they were I guess it's kind of nice to think they're still supporting their big brother from above angel
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »

So I saw the show in Westbury, NY tonight.  It was great! Some highlights:

-After the band introductions Brian said "Who do you like better: Jeff or Scott?  Oh that wasn't cool of me, sorry guys!"
-Brian played some piano on most songs
-Brian's awkward as hell introduction to the Little Girl I Once Knew.  it started something like: "So not really any real music has come from China, it can be summed up by the opening notes of this next song."  LOL

Brian was really engaged and into the music most of the time.. basically I report the same findings as the other people here that have seen the tour.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2009, 06:30:28 AM »

Brian on a reunion.

We thought about it. We talked about it. We hashed it over," Wilson said, "but then we decided not to do it."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20091106/LIFE07/911060306/1044/ENT/Wilson-heads-to-A.C.-without-the-Beach-Boys

So just who nowdays is 'we'?

Ok, this might put me in the "Brian is a vegetable totally controlled by his wifeandmanager", and I don’t believe in that, but here goes: What if there are plans for a reunion…but Brian doesn’t know about it? And not as in “[evil laugh] let’s milk some more money out of Brian but we won’t tell him about it until it’s too late for him to drop out” but instead to spare him the anxiety, bad memories, pressure etc until he really needs to know about it. I mean, practical issues as venue, backing band, recording and stuff might take a good while to sort out and plan, which is something that BW wouldn’t need to be part of. And then, months before the show/recording, they plant this seed: “Brian, wouldn’t it be nice (no pun intended) to get back with Mike and Bruce and Alan again?”

No?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »

-After the band introductions Brian said "Who do you like better: Jeff or Scott?  Oh that wasn't cool of me, sorry guys!"
-Brian's awkward as hell introduction to the Little Girl I Once Knew.  it started something like: "So not really any real music has come from China, it can be summed up by the opening notes of this next song."  LOL

Brian was really engaged and into the music most of the time.. basically I report the same findings as the other people here that have seen the tour.

How was the attendance, heard it was very near sold out!

variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »

How was the attendance, heard it was very near sold out!

there were a few empty seats, but not many.  The place was very small.  The stage was circular and the seats wrapped around, although they only used about half of the seating (otherwise they would use the revolving stage).

Something else I remembered:  Before Please Let Me Wonder, Brian said (Paraphrased): "In this next song there is a secret, but the guy doesn't know what the secret is." then Jeff said: "Wait, Brian, I don't know what the secret is."  and Brian replied: "The secret is that there are angels on stage right now.. you'll hear it when we drop the instruments out at the end."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx