gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:07:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See this tour  (Read 28821 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »

Okay, this is it. See Brian. If he plays anywhere near you, and if you are at all a fan of quirky, latter-day BW, go.

It's as simple as that.

Here are some highlights.

-- Monster Mash remains the opening number.

-- Live debut of "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" at the start of the second set. Brian didn't sing; he turned his back on the audience and watched the band.

-- Brian plays keyboard on an astonishing number of songs. Salt Lake City. I Get Around. Fun, Fun, Fun. Even Wouldn't It Be Nice. He doesn't necessarily play for an entire song, nor is he high in the mix, but he is playing.

-- I have never seen him as excited onstage as when he performed MAD. He added new lyrics: "all these memories make me feel like a piece of stone." He nearly stood up!

-- He danced (or swayed) at the end of Good Vibrations and similarly grooved on bass during BA and SUSA.

-- He talked before nearly every song. I didn't believe it, but it's true. He said it would cost everyone $100 to hear Heroes and Villains. He said before Please Let Me Wonder that it was a song the Rolling Stones could never do.

-- At the end of the show he said (and I'm not making this up) "We conquered Concord. Get it? We conquered Concord!"

The band was similarly goofy and delighted. I have seldom seen so much joy coming from the stage at a BW show -- and there is generally a lot to begin with.

I don't know what's going on, or why this tour is as good as it is (Brian is apparently traveling in the band's bus, for what it's worth), but see it if you can.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:32:24 AM by claymcc » Logged
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »

I really wish I could...I've been hearing nothing but good reviews (except for that one, but that doesn't even count). Sounds like he really is having fun with it.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:55 PM »

Yes, I agree claymcc!! At the West Virginia show he also played piano on Custom Machine, Roll Around Heaven, and the ones you mentioned as well. I think maybe even Shut Down.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »

trying desperately to get someone to go with.. you have to buy 2 tickets at a time for the long island show.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:10 PM »

ps.  can we make this thread a place to post Brian's eccentric and awesome antics from this current tour?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:23:12 AM »

Sounds like someone's meds have been altered.   Tongue
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:56 AM »

I am tonite @ The HeartBrake Hotel ,,,,,,,,

Rock Out
 OUTIE
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 05:38:24 AM »

i agree. if brian is like he was at morgantown you will love the show. forget that stupid review. the band did a fine job and brian was very talkative. no "deer-in-the-headlight" brian that night. and there was a nice crowd at that show also. just a few rows (3 to 4) empty at the back.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 05:55:57 AM »

Okay, this is it. See Brian. If he plays anywhere near you ...
It's as simple as that.

YES!  Couldn't agree more — everyone on this board should see this tour!  Details about the show I saw here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8069.0.html

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »

Sounds better and better... hope he comes back to the UK soon!

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »

Other Brian Wilson commentary:

"It's good to be here tonight, and we want to put on the best show we can. And if the drums are too loud, we'll tell Mikey to play softer. If the guitars are too screechy, we'll have a nice felt pick. You just lay back. We'll take care of business."

"We'd like to dedicate this to you guys [Then I Kissed Her]. It's Jeffrey on lead and the rest of us on percussion."

In this next song, "this guy did a very, very uncool thing to his girl. And that was it. She said, 'That's it, buddy, we're through.' He was like, 'WHAT?' So he's walking up and down the street at night wondering what the heck happened. And it's called 'Soul Searchin'"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:22:02 AM by claymcc » Logged
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »

"This guy did a very, very uncool thing to his girl. And that was it. She said, 'That's it, buddy, we're through.' He was like, 'WHAT?' So he's walking up and down the street at night wondering what the heck happened. And it's called 'Soul Searchin'"

ROFLMAO!!!   Oh how I wish I could have heard him say that... CLASSIC!!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:31:21 AM »

Just goes to show... the European summer tour was so-so... first few dates on this tour, the same... then suddenly, Brian catches fire. Gotta love the guy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »

Holy crap... Brian's working on multiple albums. He's playing piano on stage and joking around (with NEW jokes, mind you). Did I enter the twilight zone or something?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »

Holy crap... Brian's working on multiple albums. He's playing piano on stage and joking around (with NEW jokes, mind you). Did I enter the twilight zone or something?

Welcome back to 1966!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »

It's deja vu all over again.  Thumbs Up

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 12:30:39 PM »

I've often wondered if we might get to this place -- it's documented that some psychiatric illnesses can fade as an individual ages. Imagine a Brian Wilson who functions better in his 70s and 80s than in his 40s or 50s. On the other hand, he also may just be going through a slightly manic phase.

But at a basic level, this is immaterial. We're not talking about meds or disorders. We're talking about an artist who, for whatever reason and for whatever length of time, has decided to work as an entertainer. It's bracing to watch.
Jason
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »

I remember Brian's introduction to Soul Searchin' at the Keswick. It was to the effect of, "this song's about this guy, he messed up with this girl he was fucking around with, and he went for a walk, and it's called Soul Searchin'!"
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »

If you see the show I saw, you won't be disappointed.  I should (or someone should) point out that the whole band was more animated and playful.  They were moving around more and trading places on stage, having fun being a little goofy...and we got to hear just a bit more Taylor...who has pipes to spare that I had not heard.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »

I mentioned way in the first post -- the band just seemed delighted. They really are exceptionally sensitive to Brian onstage. If he ever falters (as we all know has happened now and then in the past), they step in. If, however, he's with it and on it (as he is now) they celebrate and push him even further. They are truly one of the most selfless groups of talented people I know.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »

alright.. going to the westbury, ny show this sunday.. for my own sake I will not expect anything more than the regular run of the mill Brian show.. but from what you guys are saying, it should be good fun!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »

I mentioned way in the first post -- the band just seemed delighted. They really are exceptionally sensitive to Brian onstage. If he ever falters (as we all know has happened now and then in the past), they step in. If, however, he's with it and on it (as he is now) they celebrate and push him even further. They are truly one of the most selfless groups of talented people I know.

Well said.  That is what I witnessed.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 10:47:45 AM »

A couple of extra bits.

-- The crowd wouldn't let Brian go on after "God Only Knows." The applause was so great that Brian had to acknowledge it. "That makes this whole concert worth it, it really does," he said.

-- The audience was older -- I would say the average age was easily in the 50s -- but so enthusiastic that Jeff remarked on it too. (This only became a problem toward the end, when the audience was very slow to get up and dance/clap.)

-- At the very end, Brian added a bit to his usual closing sentence. "Good night, please drive safely, and we'll see you next year."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »

-- The crowd wouldn't let Brian go on after "God Only Knows." The applause was so great that Brian had to acknowledge it. "That makes this whole concert worth it, it really does," he said.

Reminds me of the 2006 UK Pet Sounds 40th anniversary gig - we sang along to the tag to "GOK" so well, the band reprised it and we just sang solo. Did anyone tape it ? 'Course not...  Angry

Jason
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 11:55:15 AM »

If you're referring to the gig at the Adelphi Theater in London in 2006, it was taped.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx