gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:15:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: See this tour  (Read 28816 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

Was anybody here at the Lupos gig, the venue is awesome, wonder how the show went.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »

If you're referring to the gig at the Adelphi Theater in London in 2006, it was taped.

Indeed ? Been, ah, 'wondering' about that ever since the gig.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »

Glad to hear he's doing fine on this tour. Please keep those little anecdotes coming!

Seems to me BW is still capable of surprising even some of his most dedicated fans.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »

Make no mistake -- this is still a Brian Wilson show. I have no idea how someone without knowledge of him or his history would experience it. The basic, bedrock performances are similar to those of the past nine years -- I noted a lot more experimenting with phrasing, etc., but that's from someone who knows the music well. He's not magically sounding like it's 1966. It's all about the spirit and enthusiasm.

That being said, I do think that someone just walking off the street would have a good time. I just doubt they'd notice all the things I did -- or the band did -- that make this leg of the tour as fun as it's been.
Clare
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

I went to see him in Englewood on 10/27 and he was exactly as you say; it is only the 3rd time I have seen him but it was the best by far!  Of all the youtube clips I've seen after 1964 this is who Brian was meant to perform with!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:56 PM »

I mentioned way in the first post -- the band just seemed delighted. They really are exceptionally sensitive to Brian onstage. If he ever falters (as we all know has happened now and then in the past), they step in. If, however, he's with it and on it (as he is now) they celebrate and push him even further. They are truly one of the most selfless groups of talented people I know.

I don't want to get into another debate on the subject, but this is the context I took with Brian's comment  ' being better than the Beach Boys' a few years back. Nothing else.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »

A couple of extra bits.

-- The crowd wouldn't let Brian go on after "God Only Knows." The applause was so great that Brian had to acknowledge it. "That makes this whole concert worth it, it really does," he said.

-- The audience was older -- I would say the average age was easily in the 50s -- but so enthusiastic that Jeff remarked on it too. (This only became a problem toward the end, when the audience was very slow to get up and dance/clap.)

-- At the very end, Brian added a bit to his usual closing sentence. "Good night, please drive safely, and we'll see you next year."

Interesting.  He was a bit...more than a bit...flat and sharp on GOK on 11-1-09.  He set it up as he would sing this sing very sweetly and nice...just like a "girl"...and then his voice broke and the falsetto cracked and dropped.  He did Midnight after that and I thought....uh oh...he's doing the demanding vocals too far into the set....should have done them before straining the voice.......BUT  he did Midnight beautifully.....very moving...and right on pitch.    Made me think he does songs written in his current voice better than the ones written for his 24 year old voice.

Clearly its worth seeing this show in as many venues as you can manage......seems to change nearly every night.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 11:58:57 PM »

i hope he doesn't retire anytime in the next couple years.  being overseas for the next year is killing me cause i keep thinking he might retire.  plus i can lower the average age a bit.
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 02:42:47 AM »

I SAW THIS TOUR !!!!!!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:02:26 AM by Outie 315 » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 03:06:49 AM »

I mentioned way in the first post -- the band just seemed delighted. They really are exceptionally sensitive to Brian onstage. If he ever falters (as we all know has happened now and then in the past), they step in. If, however, he's with it and on it (as he is now) they celebrate and push him even further. They are truly one of the most selfless groups of talented people I know.

I don't want to get into another debate on the subject, but this is the context I took with Brian's comment  ' being better than the Beach Boys' a few years back. Nothing else.

Maybe that's what Brian needed since the beginning. A band of employees.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »

random thought i'll put here.  it'd be so cool if he sang "a day in the life of a tree".  so cool.  fits his current voice.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:25 AM »

random thought i'll put here.  it'd be so cool if he sang "a day in the life of a tree".  so cool.  fits his current voice.

That would be the coolest thing ever, seriously.

Too bad that this particular song is considered to be a joke by so many...
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »

The  Lupo's  Set List !

Monster Mash
 Roll Around Heaven
 California Girls
 Do It Again
 Dance, Dance, Dance
 Catch A Wave
 Surfer Girl
 In My Room
 Salt Lake City
 Custom Machine
 Desert Drive
 Please Let Me Wonder
 Don't Worry Baby
 I Get Around
 Sail On Sailor
 Heroes and Villains
 The Little Girl I Once Knew
 All Summer Long
 Add Some Music to Your Day
 Shut Down
 Little Deuce Coupe
 Do You Wanna Dance?
 Sloop John B
 Wouldn't It Be Nice
 God Only Knows
 I'm Going Home
 Good Vibrations
 Johnny Be Goode
 Help Me Rhonda
 Barbara Ann
 Surfin' USA
 Fun, Fun, Fun
 Love and Mercy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:19:52 AM by Outie 315 » Logged
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »

A Day in the life of a tree is a very, very serious and moving song to me; I'd love to hear it live!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »

Seconded,  thirded, fourthed.... and gazillionthed! This seems a rather off-hand remark, but it is certainly not! When I'd read it the mental impression occurred in my brain and I thought: I might start to cry if I heard that in reality, anno 2009.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 08:10:55 AM »

A Classic Downer

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:59:08 AM by Outie 315 » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »

Cheap shot. Flame bait, and you know it.

The vast majority of the band has toured with BW for 10 years. What have they really gained in that time? I don't think the job has bought many houses. (Probyn worked a desk job until recently.) They all -- nearly to a man -- have done it out of love and respect for the man and the music. Full stop.
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

I just saw Brian, and I cannot  reiterate "See This Tour" more! Oh my gosh, it was amazing, I am totally on cloud 9!Brian was AWESOME, the band was AMAZING, everything was fanstastic! Everything I've heard about the band was so true, they're incredible. They couldn't have been any closer to the BBs unless Denny, Carl, Al ,and Mike had been there. Brian was totally "on". He sounded great and was very cool and personable with the audience. Definitely get to a show on this tour if you can! Sorry for the babble, I  just never thought I'd get to see him live so I'm on a total Brian high Grin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »

Any interesting details?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

A Classic Downer

With JR Vocals

Some Fans would ask for their $ back.

Loose Your Audience and it’s over!

Anybody who would "ask for their $ back" because thay played one particular song that may not be the most upbeat
but possesses unmistakable artistry and reflects an aspect of the man's genius shouldn't even be at the shows. What
about when "'Til I Die" used to be in the set list? Was that ill-advised also? Absurd. It would be awesome.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »

We try to ignore Outie whenever possible.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »

Cheap shot. Flame bait, and you know it.

The vast majority of the band has toured with BW for 10 years. What have they really gained in that time? I don't think the job has bought many houses. (Probyn worked a desk job until recently.) They all -- nearly to a man -- have done it out of love and respect for the man and the music. Full stop.

Nah, I think it was an interesting insight. Recheck every complain Brian has ever made about 'resistence' (not just Smile) and you have something there. That means he's human, just like Dennis, Mike etc.

About the band... There must be some middle ground between them being there just for the money or out of love and respect. Don't you think Darian would rather have had the Wondermints as a viable and lucrative project? I'm sure the gig hasn't bought them many houses, but did they ever refuse anything that would make them that kind of money? They're great pro musicians but that's it. I'm not even sure if they dig being thought of like that, a bunch of selfless individuals doing it for Brian's sake. Many of them are approaching middle age.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wilsonista
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 07:56:02 AM »

Have you ever met any of those guys? Have you ever spoken to any of them? if you haven't, then all you are doing is speculating. Some of us HAVE spoken to those guys and gal and agree with what Clay is saying.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »

House of blues gig tonight, I'd give my left arm to be there  Embarrassed

All I'd need is a 12 hour flight from Dublin.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »

About the band... There must be some middle ground between them being there just for the money or out of love and respect. Don't you think Darian would rather have had the Wondermints as a viable and lucrative project? I'm sure the gig hasn't bought them many houses, but did they ever refuse anything that would make them that kind of money? They're great pro musicians but that's it. I'm not even sure if they dig being thought of like that, a bunch of selfless individuals doing it for Brian's sake. Many of them are approaching middle age.

Yes, I agree they need to make a living. And yes, it certainly is good for the resume to be able to say you were selected to play in Brian Wilson's band. It does open some doors I'm sure. And I can't begin to imagine what an incredible learning experience it must be working with Brian. But...

For some, money is not the only motivator.  Brian's guys and girl clearly are motivated by something other than money. They are indeed great pro musicians - who do what they do because they love it, and they love the music and the guy responsible for creating it. It seems to me they've given up some income over the years to do what they love. And to do it WITH someone they care about, with someone who is FAR beyond a meal ticket to them. And finally, I know they enjoy the admiration and recognition they get for being (IMHO and that of many others) the best band in the world!

I've spoken to a few band members over time, far less than some others here. But I come away with the exact same feeling. They are honest and genuine and selfless people doing something they dearly love to do.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx