gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:39:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love was the 5th Beatle!  (Read 9828 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »

Listen as Mike Love teaches Paul McCartney how to rock like the early Beach Boys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5AGZt6ora8&feature=related.
Several days later he would help Paul write "Back in the U.S.S.R.".

Here we see George Harrison trying to nudge up to Mike in a group photograph:

Mike Love's feedback on John and Paul's songwriting efforts during their time with the Maharishi left an indelible stamp on 'The White Album', which numerous fans and critics alike coincidentally consider to be the Beatles best work.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »

Yessir, Mike's pith helmet must have had the punkawhallahs trembling in their kaftans! Jolly good show of support from the old colonists, what-ho?

“We live in divisive times.”
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »

Yessir, Mike's pith helmet must have had the punkawhallahs trembling in their kaftans! Jolly good show of support from the old colonists, what-ho?

LOL
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:22:18 AM »

LOL

Brilliant, isn't it? I loved that one too... BTW: for me (for all of us?) esp. these photos begin to look truly surreal by now. As if it never happened. Or only in a movie. I don't know...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »

I had never heard that song before! It sounds like something that would be on Party!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 12:32:47 AM »

I had never heard that song before! It sounds like something that would be on Party!

yeah, what the hell? is this only available on beatles bootlegs? what??
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:40:34 AM »

Didn't VDP once say something like 'John and Paul thought Mike Love was an asshole'? Shocked 

Anyways, sorry to break up the Love fest-long live the 5th Beatle!!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »

Didn't VDP once say something like 'John and Paul thought Mike Love was an butthole'?

Yeah, and VDP also thinks that the Beatles sneaked into LA studios in 66/67 to listen to SMiLE without Brian's knowledge. Clearly, he's delusional, no doubt owing to his years of LSD, amphetamine, and weed use. Mike kept his head clear. Why would you want to lose your ego? Mike's been touring successfully for decades while acid 'heroes' like Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett, and Roky Erickson were too busy fighting personal demons brought out by excessive drug use.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 07:32:04 AM »

Didn't VDP once say something like 'John and Paul thought Mike Love was an butthole'?

Yeah, and VDP also thinks that the Beatles sneaked into LA studios in 66/67 to listen to SMiLE without Brian's knowledge. Clearly, he's delusional, no doubt owing to his years of LSD, amphetamine, and weed use. Mike kept his head clear. Why would you want to lose your ego? Mike's been touring successfully for decades while acid 'heroes' like Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett, and Roky Erickson were too busy fighting personal demons brought out by excessive drug use.

Oh, hi there Dr. Love.  LOL

ever talked to Van Dyke Parks? or have you just read that one quote of his in some obscure beach boys literature?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:53:45 AM »

Oh, hi there Dr. Love.  LOL

ever talked to Van Dyke Parks? or have you just read that one quote of his in some obscure beach boys literature?

I bet Dada is applying for a role in the next BBs Family TV Serial, as 'That Cousin From H*ll' or something...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »

I can't remember where I saw that. Maybe the old SMiLE shop board? Or maybe I dreamt it.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »

Van Dyke did say that John and Paul hated Mike Love. And according to our hero and leader, Mr. Parks is the biggest butthole in the world.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »

Right-Mike kept his head clear while his bloated ego grew large enough to make him the most laughed at and hated man in rock and roll. He also seemed to severely faulter in attempting to make speeches at award ceremonies. Angry
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

[/quote]

Brilliant, isn't it? I loved that one too... BTW: for me (for all of us?) esp. these photos begin to look truly surreal by now. As if it never happened. Or only in a movie. I don't know...
[/quote]

You are right! I can't help thinking of this image after your comment now. Grin

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/07/fashion/07python-600.jpg
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 11:59:49 PM »

Right-Mike kept his head clear while his bloated ego grew large enough to make him the most laughed at and hated man in rock and roll. He also seemed to severely faulter in attempting to make speeches at award ceremonies. Angry
LOL

That video was too wierd. I can honestly say I never thought I'd ever hear the Beatles sing to Mike, but it certainly made me smile Grin
Destroyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »

Parks understands that An American Family will stand as a legacy for Beach Boys fans who don't know the history, but he's hoping that the music will ultimately stand as the stronger legacy. "What I saw on that show about Brian Wilson was false, and   that's all I really need to say," he concludes. "I guarantee you it was a pack of lies. And I'll tell you something -- I'll give you one final clean piece of evidence. The audience was led to believe by that movie that John Lennon wanted to jam with Mike Love. Well, I was with John Lennon one time, and he told me that he and Paul thought that Mike Love was -- and these are the words John Lennon used -- 'a jerk.' The Beatles thought Mike Love was a jerk. So there are obviously two different impressions of that meeting. Mike Love has one and John Lennon had another. So, I'm submitting John Lennon's recollection to you since he's no longer here to do it himself."

http://vandykeparks.com/miscfiles/latimes0004.html

Touring an oldies package successfully for decades cos you've no talent to do anything else, or:

...he's worked with everyone from the Byrds, Paul Revere & the Raiders, and his friend Harry Nilsson to, more recently, Fiona Apple, U2, Sam Phillips, and Rufus Wainwright, the latter whose debut LP he coproduced. The telepic also makes no note of his movie or TV soundtracks, nor seems to consider his collaboration with Brian Wilson several years ago on the wonderful Orange Crate Art album.

Think I'll choose the latter, thanks.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »

Yeah, and VDP also thinks that the Beatles sneaked into LA studios in 66/67 to listen to SMiLE without Brian's knowledge. Clearly, he's delusional, no doubt owing to his years of LSD, amphetamine, and weed use. Mike kept his head clear. Why would you want to lose your ego? Mike's been touring successfully for decades while acid 'heroes' like Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett, and Roky Erickson were too busy fighting personal demons brought out by excessive drug use

Parks understands that An American Family will stand as a legacy for Beach Boys fans who don't know the history, but he's hoping that the music will ultimately stand as the stronger legacy. "What I saw on that show about Brian Wilson was false, and   that's all I really need to say," he concludes. "I guarantee you it was a pack of lies. And I'll tell you something -- I'll give you one final clean piece of evidence. The audience was led to believe by that movie that John Lennon wanted to jam with Mike Love. Well, I was with John Lennon one time, and he told me that he and Paul thought that Mike Love was -- and these are the words John Lennon used -- 'a jerk.' The Beatles thought Mike Love was a jerk. So there are obviously two different impressions of that meeting. Mike Love has one and John Lennon had another. So, I'm submitting John Lennon's recollection to you since he's no longer here to do it himself."

http://vandykeparks.com/miscfiles/latimes0004.html

Touring an oldies package successfully for decades cos you've no talent to do anything else, or:

...he's worked with everyone from the Byrds, Paul Revere & the Raiders, and his friend Harry Nilsson to, more recently, Fiona Apple, U2, Sam Phillips, and Rufus Wainwright, the latter whose debut LP he coproduced. The telepic also makes no note of his movie or TV soundtracks, nor seems to consider his collaboration with Brian Wilson several years ago on the wonderful Orange Crate Art album.

Think I'll choose the latter, thanks.
[/Auspicious  first post, destroyer. High Five
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:09:30 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »

Touring an oldies package successfully for decades cos you've no talent to do anything else
And just what is Brian doing right now?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »

Touring an oldies package successfully for decades cos you've no talent to do anything else

You must be joking. The guy has been releasing music steadily since 2004: BWPS (2004), Christmas Album (2005), TLOS (2007), and next, the Gershwin project. He may be doing a greatest hits tour, but he's certainly not been out of the studio for years.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »

Gee, I think maybe he's singing mostly songs that HE wrote from the past mixed in with a few tunes HE wrote for HIS albums-you know, songs from Smile, Lucky Old Sun, and even Pet Sounds which He wrote. A far cry from the baldster's copy Brian's stuff tribute band.  Razz
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »

Uh, Mike's been in the studio, too, and a few of his songs make it to the setlist (Cool Head Warm Heart, Santa's Goin' to Kokomo, et cetera). Sure, Brian's a little more prolific (maybe because labels consider him to be "THE Brian Wilson"), but it's essentially the same thing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 06:37:44 AM »

Uh, Mike's been in the studio, too, and a few of his songs make it to the setlist (Cool Head Warm Heart, Santa's Goin' to Kokomo, et cetera). Sure, Brian's a little more prolific (maybe because labels consider him to be "THE Brian Wilson"), but it's essentially the same thing.
"...essentially the same thing" as what? Mike's the same as Brian in the writing dept?? Shrug Shocked
Destroyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »

Brian sells out famous halls to play "SMiLE" and "That Lucky Old Sun" in their entirety, his newly released ALBUMS.

Mike packs in a couple thousand folks at the local fairground and has, in your words, "a few of his songs make it to the setlist (Cool Head Warm Heart, Santa's Goin' to Kokomo, et cetera)."

Brian goes in the studio and knocks out a quite nice new song with Burt Bacharach called "What Love Can Do".

Mike goes in the studio and knocks out a pathetic Christmas rehash of Kokomo even more pathetically titled "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo".

Yes, you're right.  They are essentially the same thing and require the same talent levels.  Silly me!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »

Brian sells out famous halls to play "SMiLE" and "That Lucky Old Sun" in their entirety, his newly released ALBUMS.

Mike packs in a couple thousand folks at the local fairground and has, in your words, "a few of his songs make it to the setlist (Cool Head Warm Heart, Santa's Goin' to Kokomo, et cetera)."

Brian goes in the studio and knocks out a quite nice new song with Burt Bacharach called "What Love Can Do".

Mike goes in the studio and knocks out a pathetic Christmas rehash of Kokomo even more pathetically titled "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo".

Yes, you're right.  They are essentially the same thing and require the same talent levels.  Silly me!

You might want to read Aegir's post again, especially the "because labels consider him to be 'THE Brian Wilson'" part. Labels are more willing to release a Brian Wilson album than a Mike Love album, no matter how good/bad Mike's unreleased album is.  Tongue

Regarding "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo", Mike wanted to do a fun holiday song, not a groundbreaking masterpiece. And he released it for free, whereas with Brian's management you have to buy the same album three times to get all the different bonus tracks.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:03:34 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »

You might want to read Aegir's post again, especially the "because labels consider him to be 'THE Brian Wilson'" part. Labels are more willing to release a Brian Wilson album than a Mike Love album, no matter how good/bad Mike's unreleased album is.  Tongue

Regarding "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo", Mike wanted to do a fun holiday song, not a groundbreaking masterpiece. And he released it for free, whereas with Brian's management you have to buy the same album three times to get all the different bonus tracks.  Roll Eyes
I can see it now-an entire album full of Mike Love (who?) bonus tracks. Wait a minute! Wasn't that previously released under the title  "Looking Back With Love" ? OF COURSE the lovester released SGTK for free!! Who in their right mind would pay for crap like that?? Roll Eyes Shocked
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx